5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing Rear Overhead 3.5"s on new 1500... Easy?

rsuazo

Reaction score
Hello! I am looking to replace the read overhead speakers on my new 2019 RAM 1500 (HK system w/12" screen). Crutchfield told me i have to remove the overhead fabric. That doesnt seem right. Is this true? Thanks!!

smankins

Reaction score
I haven't done it yet but I have read many posts on this forum where people have (I have replaced the front dash speakers). You do not have to remove the overhead liner but the grill on the speakers is supposedly very tough to remove. There are tabs in each corner and from what I've read you will think you are about to break the grill but it will eventually come off. That's what has kept me away from it at least for now. With my luck I would break them.

rsuazo

Reaction score
I haven't done it yet but I have read many posts on this forum where people have (I have replaced the front dash speakers). You do not have to remove the overhead liner but the grill on the speakers is supposedly very tough to remove. There are tabs in each corner and from what I've read you will think you are about to break the grill but it will eventually come off. That's what has kept me away from it at least for now. With my luck I would break them.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, that's what I'm worried about too. Go mess it up after just getting this truck.... lol But want to even out the sound of the new 3.5's going into the front.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've done mine. Replaced the factory Alpine speakers back there with JBL GX302s. The grill comes off but it is tough. Use a pry tool and go in the middle and work its way over to the corner. You'll have to be able to get your fingers in there and then pull hard. You will think it is going to break. Once one corner pops off the rest go pretty easily.

rsuazo

Reaction score
Thanks much! So other than the tricky business of popping it off, no worries about the liner? thanks again.

Klute

Reaction score
worse than removing the cover under the door handles? Not sure why that one corner was so freaking hard to remove w/o breaking!

Users who are viewing this thread