5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacement shock absorbers on a 4-corner air-suspension Ram.

E.Hands

Reaction score
At 80,000 miles I am contemplating shock absorber replacement. it appears that Bilstein does not offer a stock replacement.
My application is 2-wheel drive , all highway, no off-road. So my requirements are: Ride quality, handling, longevity.
Should I go Mopar or is there something better?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IF, they are standard shocks, then Bilstein should work. They claim the same on Jeep Grand Cherokees with air suspension. I don't know what the rear is like since I don't have.

E.Hands

Reaction score
IF, they are standard shocks, then Bilstein should work. They claim the same on Jeep Grand Cherokees with air suspension. I don't know what the rear is like since I don't have.

Update:
Ok so the rear (BSN-24-228848) Bilstein B6 4600 Series Shocks went on fairly easy and as intended with no modifications.
I wish I had done it sooner. At 80,000 miles the stock shocks were losing their control. One actually contracted when I took the bottom mount loose! Which is NOT what a pressurize shock should do.
Not sure about the fronts (BSN-24-329132) Bilstein B6 4600 Series. They use a formed spring perch. I don't know how the air bag spring attaches to the shock.
Looking at pictures of Mopar replacements some are clearly Bilstein's. See below:

Suspension Shock Absorber, Air Suspension, Right - Mopar (68323489AD)​

1710464832255.png
But these are $225 more than the B6 4600 Series, per shock!

Last edited:

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The fronts will not work since the airbag is built in. Bilstein doesn't make that type. Only the rears are replaceable.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the airbag and strut not 1 unit? I haven't seen the RAM front end, but the Grand Cherokee is 1 unit, so figured the RAM would be.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's great if you're able to replace with the Bilstein. Much better upgrade than OEM.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know you could do this with the 4th gen (with some ingenuity) but hadnt hard of this being possible, not to mention SOP, for the 5th gen. I also thought the Air Strut was a single piece item.

If not... that is AWESOME!

E.Hands

Reaction score
I know you could do this with the 4th gen (with some ingenuity) but hadn't heard of this being possible, not to mention SOP, for the 5th gen. I also thought the Air Strut was a single piece item.

If not... that is AWESOME!

I have confirmed that the 68323489AD is in fact the shock that comes on a 2021 4-corner air suspension Rebel (Thanks BrockBoe)
1711462335103.png
Once I remove one of mine I will compare the fully extended and fully retracted lengths between the two shock absorbers.
And measure the length between the air bag's mounting location and the shocks mounting location on the LCA to determine what if any change this will make to ride height.

Last edited:

E.Hands

Reaction score
I completed the swap, new Rebel/Bilstein dampers installed INSIDE the original factory airbags. It went much better than I pessimistically feared. shocks 2.jpg shocks 1.jpg
It appears that the Rebel shock extends another half inch in rebound.

Airbag disassembly requires patients and finesse. But it can be done without any beating and banging.
AirBag disassembly 1.jpg AirBag disassembly 2.jpg AirBag disassembly 3.jpg
Many more insights to share if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad it worked! Good to know Bilstein does make a replacement. They should be much better than OEM.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let us know your perception on ride difference once you get it back together.

Also do you have a shot of the other/underside of the airbag? Im curious about the anti surface between strut perch and airbag.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Let us know your perception on ride difference once you get it back together.

Also do you have a shot of the other/underside of the airbag? I'm curious about the anti surface between strut perch and airbag.
I wish that I had taken more pictures of that, as I too am still curious about that as well.
On the passenger's side that I did first, I undid the factory SS clamp on the accordion boot, only to realize that it wasn't really necessary.
The accordion boot appears to just be a dust cover. It doesn't appear robust enough to retain any significant amount of air pressure.

Looking up inside of the cavity exposed by removing the shock, I could see what looked like a steel surface that would brace itself on the top of the shock body. I think that this is what the bottom of the air bag pushes on.
Like the inverse of this:
Shock top.PNG
It is hard to imagine that the weight of the truck is supported by the snap ring. And the stamped steel part that rests on it seems to be just something that the accordion dust boot attaches to.

Although that is clearly what the coil spring uses to support the trucks weight. As seen below:

Coil Spring Setup.PNG

Last edited:

E.Hands

Reaction score
Bilstein definitely has to be an upgrade over OEM, even with AS.
Most assuredly it is, but here is the rub:

Bilstein B6 4600 shock for coil spring, Part Number 24-329132 = Widely available from several retailers for $113 each.

Bilstein B6 4600 shock for air bag, Part Number 68323489AD = Only available from the dealerships for $360 - $500 EACH!

And I contacted Bilstein directly, trying to source the shock from them, the shock that they produce, directly or through a retailer, to no avail... or with no such luck.

But in the end I spent the money, did the work myself and I am completely happy with the results.

Last edited:

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most assuredly it is, but here is the rub:

Bilstein B6 4600 shock for coil spring Part Number 24-329132 = Widely available from several retailers for $113 each.

Bilstein B6 4600 shock for air bag Part Number 68323489AD = Only available from the dealerships for $360 - $500 EACH!
OUCH!! that's a hell of an upcharge.

E.Hands

Reaction score
well, I found them for $325 (plus shipping - Cbty2050 😁)
Read this post and see my invoices, to see how I saved $2400 by doing it myself instead of dropping it off at the the dealership.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/