5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacement Lug Nuts

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
Had the truck serviced today. My mechanic mentioned that at next tire rotation I should replace the lug nuts. (They are swollen). He was thinking the type he would get would be $12 a piece. There has to be a cheaper option that is one piece. I just wanted to see what others on here would recommend. Thanks

Oldphart

Reaction score
I got a set of the McGuards, including the locking lug. I forgot what I paid though. Not cheap as I recall; buy once, cry once:confused:

The one thing I didn't care for with the black package was that the lug nuts were chrome. I replaced them with a black set and I think they make the wheels look much better.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does Gorilla even offer a set that isn't "locking"? Cause I don't want to deal with having to carry around a special socket, or risk it being lost. I'm not worried about anyone trying to steal my wheels. Even if they wanted to, locking lugs aren't going to stop them.

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
I agree. Found these on Summits website

GOR-71147. Set of 4 is ten dollars.​

I believe these should fit.
I'll just by 6 packs. This way I can avoid the locking nuts.

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
I got a set of the McGuards, including the locking lug. I forgot what I paid though. Not cheap as I recall; buy once, cry once:confused:

The one thing I didn't care for with the black package was that the lug nuts were chrome. I replaced them with a black set and I think they make the wheels look much better.
Agreed

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does Gorilla even offer a set that isn't "locking"? Cause I don't want to deal with having to carry around a special socket, or risk it being lost. I'm not worried about anyone trying to steal my wheels. Even if they wanted to, locking lugs aren't going to stop them.
Yeah having the key is annoying, but I just always put it in the glove box. It also provides some protection against the guys at any shop that might have to remove my wheels from slamming an impact socket into them.

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Jedi9

Hey @boogielander better get on this thread and let these folks know how they are putting their life on the line by not going with OEM LUG NUTS that literally holds your wheels on your truck! why would they get something off amazon and some cheap mickey mouse stuff right? Oh no! Bless their hearts, what brave souls. Ill bet NONE of your friends you wheel with do this off this forum to right? 😂
well lug nuts are wear and tear items. Guess what, I've seen those fail too and clueless customers come in with 3 out of 5 lug nuts. Also seen crashed cars with wheel come off due to failed lug nuts. Also seen people use non proper specced lugnuts and we had to drill it out.
I don't use OE lug nuts because they don't fit my wheels but i use quality aftermarket ones (gorilla) but even if I kept using my OE wheels, I have plenty OE takeoffs that I can use from the shop and we give those away.

and you're right. i don't hang with people who do mickey mouse things or too poor to buy the proper things. when people complain i just tell them truck parts are not cheap and if it's too expensive for you then go knit or something else that's cheaper.

edit:
for OP, if OE is too much look at Gorilla ones. They're proven and possibly costs less. Definitely not something with weird brand name on amazon.

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
well lug nuts are wear and tear items. Guess what, I've seen those fail too and clueless customers come in with 3 out of 5 lug nuts. Also seen crashed cars with wheel come off due to failed lug nuts. Also seen people use non proper specced lugnuts and we had to drill it out.
I don't use OE lug nuts because they don't fit my wheels but i use quality aftermarket ones (gorilla) but even if I kept using my OE wheels, I have plenty OE takeoffs that I can use from the shop and we give those away.

and you're right. i don't hang with people who do mickey mouse things or too poor to buy the proper things. when people complain i just tell them truck parts are not cheap and if it's too expensive for you then go knit or something else that's cheaper.

edit:
for OP, if OE is too much look at Gorilla ones. They're proven and possibly costs less. Definitely not something with weird brand name on amazon.
I have no problem paying for OEM. Just wanted to avoid buying them again in 3-4 years. Yeah I will be getting the mcgard or gorilla to replace.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Makes some sense especially the way some tire shops insist on overtightening the wheels so that if you had a flat you are unable to change the wheel with a factory lug wrench. I guess they would prefer to overtighten then run risk of wheel coming off. I do my own rotations and after getting new tires will loosed the lug nuts and torque to spec

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Jedi9

Hey @boogielander better get on this thread and let these folks know how they are putting their life on the line by not going with OEM LUG NUTS that literally holds your wheels on your truck! why would they get something off amazon and some cheap mickey mouse stuff right? Oh no! Bless their hearts, what brave souls. Ill bet NONE of your friends you wheel with do this off this forum to right? 😂

You can make your point with facts or relatable experience without mocking other members. Free no points assessed warning.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
You can make your point with facts or relatable experience without mocking other members. Free no points assessed warning.
Oh i did. you should scroll through the other threads, youll find em. Id hope that same comment is made to others as wel and not just picking and choosing

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score

edit:
Ah i see. so NOW its different? got it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh i did. you should scroll through the other threads, youll find em. Id hope that same comment is made to others as wel and not just picking and choosing

Ah i see. so NOW its different? got it.

Not here to play your games, just calling it as I see it. The continued vitriol towards other members does not go unnoticed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

edit:
Other than the two piece OEM Style i've never seen a lug nut fail that fit properly and was properly torqued. Can't blame the lug nut for improper installation, by stupid owners. There isn't a lot of stress on a lug nut, it's not like a tow hook or shackle being used for recovery of stuck vehicles. The torque provides clamping force to the hub. The Hub bears all the weight of the wheel/tire, and any other forces. Missing lug nuts usually occur because people don't torque them properly and they work their way off over time. And I've had loose lug nuts from getting new tires done at a tire shop. Which is why I always check torque on them when I get home.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have never had an OEM lugnut fail on me with any car/truck. Not saying it's not possible but I think it's a user problem. Now aftermarket could be good or bad quality, I wouldn't know. I got covers for my Ram because I know the oem lugs are fine and didn't see the point to buy black or red aftermarket lugs knowing the quality could be poor and oem lugs are so cheap (and come free with purchase of a car or truck!)

Users who are viewing this thread