5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacement Lug Nuts

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
Had the truck serviced today. My mechanic mentioned that at next tire rotation I should replace the lug nuts. (They are swollen). He was thinking the type he would get would be $12 a piece. There has to be a cheaper option that is one piece. I just wanted to see what others on here would recommend. Thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to chrome lug nuts
MIKKUPPA 24pcs M14x1.5 One-Piece Chrome OEM Factory Style Large Acorn Seat Lug Nuts Replacement for 2015-2023 Ford F-150 F150 Expedition Lincoln Navigator Factory Wheels Amazon.com

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you want black
14x1.5 OEM Factory Style Large Acorn Seat Wheel Lug Nuts, 20 PCS M14x1.5 Closed End One-Piece Lugnuts for Grand Cherokee/Wrangler/Mustang/Camaro/RAM 1500 https://a.co/d/fqugnz9

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Swollen lug nuts? Is this common?

I’ve always done my own tire rotations and never once seen this issue on any vehicle I’ve owned. Wondering what causes this?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Swollen lug nuts? Is this common?

I’ve always done my own tire rotations and never once seen this issue on any vehicle I’ve owned. Wondering what causes this?
Yes it's common on the factory lug nuts with chrome caps. Not just RAM/Dodge either. Can happen overtime just from corrosion, it using an impact on the lug nuts exaggerates the issue

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes it's common on the factory lug nuts with chrome caps. Not just RAM/Dodge either. Can happen overtime just from corrosion, it using an impact on the lug nuts exaggerates the issue
I never use an impact wrench for hard work so that makes sense. Breaker bar to loosen and torque wrench to do final tighten. I have spun them off with an air wrench once loose but that’s it. Not much force on the lug nuts.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I wouldnt go with OEM lug nuts, as they will just swell over time again. He is looking for a solid lug nut
@Jedi9
Yeah man. There is cheaper. I saw an OEM set on Amazon for much cheaper than that.

Hey @boogielander better get on this thread and let these folks know how they are putting their life on the line by not going with OEM LUG NUTS that literally holds your wheels on your truck! why would they get something off amazon and some cheap mickey mouse stuff right? Oh no! Bless their hearts, what brave souls. Ill bet NONE of your friends you wheel with do this off this forum to right? 😂

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
MIKKUPPA 24pcs M14x1.5 One-Piece Chrome OEM Factory Style Large Acorn Seat Lug Nuts Replacement for 2015-2023 Ford F-150 F150 Expedition Lincoln Navigator Factory Wheels Amazon.com
Thank You. This looks pretty good. I just hope not too good to be true. The Dorman he recommended are like 12-14 dollars a piece.
This set on Amazon is 26 dollars for the whole set. Reviews look good though.

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
Costco said the same, altho they really wanted an upsell at the time, one yr old. I have no idea how anyone could pay $12 per nut; that's ridiculous. Shop around.
I agree. But the Dorman brand is pretty much in that range at most parts stores and Amazon Ebay. Are Dorman that much better than Gorilla and mcgard?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. But the Dorman brand is pretty much in that range at most parts stores and Amazon Ebay. Are Dorman that much better than Gorilla and mcgard?
Top of line are Gorilla and McGard. I have ran the cheaper lug nuts before, but they flake and rust from my experience.

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
Top of line are Gorilla and McGard. I have ran the cheaper lug nuts before, but they flake and rust from my experience.
Ok maty go with gorilla have had them before.
Just don't understand the price difference
Between those and Dorman. Almost seems to good to be true

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've used Gorilla lugs for 10 years on various trucks. Never once had an issue. They're pricier than OEM, but far cheaper than $12 a lug. I have these that I got from Discount Tire when buying my wheels: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/goril...Ci3I61gMSDtNkyWIEg0hxFCc-fS8vHBbA-hC1OJfMSsLc. They stick out a bit farther than the smaller acorn ones so it's easier to get the key on them and I don't scratch the wheels. I just also wrap the outside of the key with a layer of electrical tape to protect the wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread