5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacement Keyfob options?

copekyle

Reaction score
I drive a 2019 Ram 1500 limited. My work truck is a 2022 F150. The F150 let's me remote start from an App without a monthly subscription. I can't justify paying for the Ram subscription just for remote start. I can build something that can hack together a ram keyfob and "press" the remote start button and add it to my cellular plan for only the monthly cost of data used (less than $1 a month). The plan for my device would be to completely disconnect the battery from the fob until I need to trigger the remote start button. I could also gain access to the unlock/lock buttons this way. So here's my question:

Is there a "cheaper" keyfob option than the $300 one that's associated with my VIN number when I call the dealership. (then a $100 programming fee). I imagine the "limited" truck has a fancier keyfob than just the "classic" ram 1500 but I'm just not sure if they can be programmed. The people at my dealership are clueless in general but also didn't have an answer to this question.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They are all over eBay and Amazon. You will still have to have it programmed. I have found that these knock offs aren't as good as the factory one, but that's normal for most of things. The ones I have don't allow me to use passive entry consistently.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Limited fob just says Limited on the back.

The other fobs depend on what features you have.

You can have a Laramie with the same options a Limited does (as far as the keyfob is concerned)

I believe around $40 gets you a replacement fob, would still need to be programmed.
I wonder if you can do it with Alfaobd since we see so many of the trucks getting stolen with counterfeit fobs.

vincentw56

Reaction score
The Limited fob just says Limited on the back.

The other fobs depend on what features you have.

You can have a Laramie with the same options a Limited does (as far as the keyfob is concerned)

I believe around $40 gets you a replacement fob, would still need to be programmed.
I wonder if you can do it with Alfaobd since we see so many of the trucks getting stolen with counterfeit fobs.
No, you can't with AlfaODB. You have to be able to read the security pass code from the RF module.

copekyle

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! If I'm understanding correctly, I should be able to purchase and program something like this even though it doesn't have all the same "features" as my truck? (obviously missing tailgate, passive entry, air suspension). I only actually need the remote start button.

1675359482522.png

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! If I'm understanding correctly, I should be able to purchase and program something like this even though it doesn't have all the same "features" as my truck? (obviously missing tailgate, passive entry, air suspension). I only actually need the remote start button.

View attachment 150535
If it has the right frequency.
That one you linked is not for 5th Gen rams so I would say it's unlikely it would work but without seeing if the frequency is the same no way to tell.
5th Gen are 2019-2023 only. That listing is for a 4th Gen or "classic" builds.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I bought a fob on eBay just to add the tailgate function. Cost was around$30. As far as functionality it’s as good as my other fobs, but lacks the ram logo on the back and the icons are starting to wear on the buttons. But for using it for a project like you are saying it would be ideal. I have a programmer for this so it was a low cost upgrade to me. What kind of interface are you going to use for the cellular signal to trigger the remote? I was considering something similar using a particle electron board and relays, but never got around to actually doing it

Jako

Reaction score
I drive a 2019 Ram 1500 limited. My work truck is a 2022 F150. The F150 let's me remote start from an App without a monthly subscription. I can't justify paying for the Ram subscription just for remote start. I can build something that can hack together a ram keyfob and "press" the remote start button and add it to my cellular plan for only the monthly cost of data used (less than $1 a month). The plan for my device would be to completely disconnect the battery from the fob until I need to trigger the remote start button. I could also gain access to the unlock/lock buttons this way. So here's my question:

Is there a "cheaper" keyfob option than the $300 one that's associated with my VIN number when I call the dealership. (then a $100 programming fee). I imagine the "limited" truck has a fancier keyfob than just the "classic" ram 1500 but I'm just not sure if they can be programmed. The people at my dealership are clueless in general but also didn't have an answer to this question.
Two local locksmiths can't program my ebay FOB ($41), but I do have one that specializes in cars and trucks. The cost is $250 for the programming. Anyone know of better pricing for the programming particularly in the NY/NJ area?

copekyle

Reaction score
I bought a fob on eBay just to add the tailgate function. Cost was around$30. As far as functionality it’s as good as my other fobs, but lacks the ram logo on the back and the icons are starting to wear on the buttons. But for using it for a project like you are saying it would be ideal. I have a programmer for this so it was a low cost upgrade to me. What kind of interface are you going to use for the cellular signal to trigger the remote? I was considering something similar using a particle electron board and relays, but never got around to actually doing it
Looking at using an ESP32 device and triggering buttons and then monitoring a 12V signal that is only on while the truck is running. This would give me a small amount of feedback that the truck started successfully. I'm sure I can get more technical feedback but I want proof of concept first. I'll program wifi networks first (My home and work) and then I'll move to the cellular connection using this:

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many key fobs can be programmed to the same truck at the same time? My Pathfinder has a limit of 3.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Looking at using an ESP32 device and triggering buttons and then monitoring a 12V signal that is only on while the truck is running. This would give me a small amount of feedback that the truck started successfully. I'm sure I can get more technical feedback but I want proof of concept first. I'll program wifi networks first (My home and work) and then I'll move to the cellular connection using this:

Keep me posted if you get that running. I’ve been looking for a free cellular solution since the range on the remote isn’t ideal for starting from the office to the parking lot and I’m just too cheap to pay for the factory app

Users who are viewing this thread