5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replaced All 6 Speakers Today

Murphy5156

Reaction score
I replaced all six of the factory speakers in my 2022 Bighorn today. Thanks to a lot of info on this forum as well as some YouTube videos it ended up being a fairly easy job. Probably took me 2 hours altogether.

I thought I would post all of the parts I used and the current costs in case anyone is considering this upgrade. Again, based on feedback from this forum I used what many others have used, that way I was sure they’d work.

All items and pricing are from Crutchfield.

Front 3.5” (near windshield) are Infinity Reference #REF-3032cfx @ $74.95 per pair.

I used the same 6x9s for both front and rear doors…Infinity Reference #REF-9633ix @ $127.95 per pair.

Crutchfield includes the necessary speaker wiring adapters for free:
Metra #72-7902 for the 3.5” speakers
Metra #72-6514 for the 6x9s

Total was $363.12 delivered.

I have the standard 6-speaker system (not the Alpine upgraded system). I do have factory Active Noise Cancellation, and although I purchased an ANC bypass cable in case I needed it, I have not heard any of the droning sounds others have experienced, so for now anyway I don’t think I’ll need to bypass the ANC.

For those wondering, the ANC bypass harness is the PAC ANC-CH01 available from Amazon for $25.99.

Removing the door panels takes a little bit of force, but once you get the first few pins detached the rest of the panel comes off fairly easy. I did not completely remove the panels, either. I simply rested the door panels on a box to take the tension off the wiring inside the door, and still had plenty of room to remove the factory speakers and install the new ones.

For the most part it was plug and play. The holes from the old speakers to the new ones lined up pretty well and I didn’t have to drill any new holes. I didn’t use the factory screws to install the new speakers because the heads were pretty large and would have pinched the rubber surround of the new 6x9s. The screws that Crutchfield included had much smaller heads and worked great.

The new speakers sound great, and are definitely louder. I used to keep my volume at about 22-25 but now it seems plenty loud at only 17-18. I had to monkey around with the equalizer a bit to fine tune the sound to my liking (mainly kicking the bass up a notch or two) but that was it.

All in all a pretty easy project. Thanks again to everyone on this forum that has provided information about this swap over the last few years.

Cool Dad

Reaction score
You did the same speaker swap I did. However I ordered everything from eBay & Walmart discounters. Overall it was cheaper than Crutchfield but if support issues come up I am SOL. I also broke some of those white plastic retainers (part # 6510359AA) and had to order a set and go back & fix the next weekend.

One thing though- those Metra 72-6514 door harnesses I received were pinned backward so I had to swap the wires inside the harness. Did you check those? My dash harnesses were good.

An issue discussed in another thread was impedance... the OE speakers are 8 ohms dash, 4 ohms doors. The Infinitys are advertised as 3 ohms but on the meter mine read 2.3. So I cut the Metra + wires and added 5 ohm in-line resistors to the dash speakers, and 1.5 ohm to the doors. So now the ohms test as close as I could get to OE. I have the EQ set to +7, +9, +3 and the door tweeters are set on the quiet setting.

Compared to the OE they are about the same loudness and a very nice improvement in quality. But I think you can do better such as the Kicker KS. Used to have those in another car so I'm tempted to try, but it's probably not worth spending the extra money because you can't get them from those online discounters.

Peckadelic

Reaction score
Have you noticed any issues with your amp cutting out audio to a portion of or any speakers when listening at louder volumes for an extended period?

If not, can you do me a favor and go out there and bump some tunes for a few mins and see what happens? Looking for solutions on bypassing the ANC/amp, but not sure what's required.

Users who are viewing this thread