5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replace Factory OEM Tires

freerider969

Reaction score
Interesting, I am keeping my eyes open for good replacement tires for down the road.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also am going to replace the factory tires - they always suck. But gotta wait til the bank account builds back up. Spent too much money on mods already lol

BigDsLimited

Reaction score
I replaced the OE GY Eagles with the Conti TerrianContacts.

Best all round 285/45R22 on the market IMO and looks 100 time better than the Eagles.

Attachments

• IMG_20190702_095307.jpg
    IMG_20190702_095307.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 222

Tundralag

Reaction score
I just put on Cooper AT3 4s. tires look great, reviews are off the charts.. stock 275/55/20 tires are around 200 each..

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I traded the stock Bridgestones in on B F Goodrich KO2 in 275/60/20 on the way home from the dealer

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also am going to replace the factory tires - they always suck. But gotta wait til the bank account builds back up. Spent too much money on mods already lol
I can't say that I've always had good luck with the tires that come on vehicles from the factory, but my '19 came with Goodyear Fortitudes and they are wearing exceptionally well. Not the quietest tire or the best wet or snow traction, either. But wear is pretty slight for the miles I have on them.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 4 June 2018. Now at 017158 miles.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a true story about factory tires:

When I bought my Titan new in 2004, it came with 18" Goodyear SRAs. They wore OK but wore down fast. At about 35k miles they were toast. At that time there were only 2 replacement tires that fit my truck same size - Goodyear SRAs and Continentals. The other guys who had Titans weren't having any luck with the Contis so I decided to go back with the Goodyears.

At that time those tires were over $200 each before mount & balance. Because my truck came with a full-size spare Goodyear SRA, on a factory wheel that matched the others, I got the brilliant idea of taking a worn out tire and keeping it for the spare, then buying 3 new tires and using the never- used spare as the 4th tire. I marked that wheel when they did it.

After about 35k more miles, the 3 new tires were about 60/65% worn and the original tire was bald. The tire companies must make softer compound tires for OEM tires. But maybe that's a new thing, because (another true story) I got the original Bridgestone tires on my 1995 Miata up to 99k miles, and they weren't quite slicks yet at that point but were super scary in any kind of wet roads. I was hell-bent on getting them to 100k miles and then one day after a serious scary ride realized how stupid it would be to be killed over some arbitrary number on a tire. So that weekend I scrapped them about 500 miles short of 100k.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a true story about factory tires:

When I bought my Titan new in 2004, it came with 18" Goodyear SRAs. They wore OK but wore down fast. At about 35k miles they were toast. At that time there were only 2 replacement tires that fit my truck same size - Goodyear SRAs and Continentals. The other guys who had Titans weren't having any luck with the Contis so I decided to go back with the Goodyears.

At that time those tires were over $200 each before mount & balance. Because my truck came with a full-size spare Goodyear SRA, on a factory wheel that matched the others, I got the brilliant idea of taking a worn out tire and keeping it for the spare, then buying 3 new tires and using the never- used spare as the 4th tire. I marked that wheel when they did it.

After about 35k more miles, the 3 new tires were about 60/65% worn and the original tire was bald. The tire companies must make softer compound tires for OEM tires. But maybe that's a new thing, because (another true story) I got the original Bridgestone tires on my 1995 Miata up to 99k miles, and they weren't quite slicks yet at that point but were super scary in any kind of wet roads. I was hell-bent on getting them to 100k miles and then one day after a serious scary ride realized how stupid it would be to be killed over some arbitrary number on a tire. So that weekend I scrapped them about 500 miles short of 100k.
On the Goodyear SR-As they changed the tread design as well between the time they came on my 2010 to the time I bought another set. Interestingly, the same thing happened after I bought my first set of Firestone LEs. Had good luck with those tires so I bought another set. By that time they were labled as LE2s.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 May 2018. Now at 017171 miles.

Mark313

Reaction score
They are great tires, the stock Nexens sucked. I have the 275 60 20 for summer tires and the LT275 65 20 for winter tires. No mileage changes with the summer tires and may be 1-2 mpg loss with the heavier win get version. That's from December to March and using the remote start more often (I likea warm truck lol)

Users who are viewing this thread