5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Renewable Diesel Fuel #2

Croaker

Reaction score
I see that there is a difference between “BioDiesel” and “Renewable” diesel fuel.

I have been avoiding the “Biodiesel” but should I also avoid the “Renewable” fuel ?

….and if the Consensus is to embrace the “Renewable” fuel, then should I use a lubricating additive ?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's no labelling law on fuel. They can call it whatever they want.

Renewable is purported to be virtually the same as regular diesel, but hydrogenated and deoxygenated and practically no sulfur. Sulphur compounds are what give diesel lubricity and why the switch to ULSD causes problems with HPFP wear.

Biodiesel is usually process waste oil at a specific concentration mixed with regular diesel. B20 should be go for anything and it does have more lubricity than ULSD alone. It is also somewhat dirtier and has marginally less power.

I'd say to always use a diesel additive that is shown to increase lubricity. I used to use power service, but after many poor reviews and following I've switch to hotshots secret. It's your truck, you do what you want.

jent

Reaction score
The ecodiesel can't do more than B20.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What about B100….there’s a commercial producer of biodiesel in Toronto…can our trucks run that?
Technically yes, but over B20 isn't officially supported. A diesel engine can run on any oil than can combust. That was the whole point of the design. Use whatever available as fuel.

Biodiesel doesn't burn completely its sootier. It'll fill up the DPF. The only reason is emissions. The other issue is biodiesel also "leaks" into the engine oil becuase it doesn't burn and you get dilution of the engine oil. SO you need more frequent oil changes. Over B20 and you need to go to 5k or less oil changes to fight the oil dilution or you risk engine damage.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
Is the 6.7L cummins approved for up to B20? The manual seems to indicate that, but says this:

"A max blend of 20% biodiesel meeting ASTM spec D-7467 may be used with your Cummins diesel engine. (models configured with B20 capability)"

So is my model capable?

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see that there is a difference between “BioDiesel” and “Renewable” diesel fuel.

I have been avoiding the “Biodiesel” but should I also avoid the “Renewable” fuel ?

….and if the Consensus is to embrace the “Renewable” fuel, then should I use a lubricating additive ?
The manual says that you will get water formation captured in the fuel filter when using biodiesel and the filter should be drained when you get a code to do so. It also specifies like someone else said to get oil changes earlier, so is it worth using other fuels than ULSD?
Personally I stay away from biodiesels, why take a chance to get problems. I don’t even think I can get biodiesel up north where I live and I don’t know if it is even cheaper to buy.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Biodiesel is better than ultra low sulfur diesel for the engine itself. It's the dilution of the oil that's the issue long term. It should not have any water at all in it. Most water you get in diesel is from condensation. The more humid it is where you live, and the more the temperature swings, the more likely you get contamination from water. Especially the first good cold snaps.

Here, fuel at big trucks stops and walmart is B15 or B20. That's where I can get it. ULSD just doesn't have enough lubricity to keep the fuel pump from grenading itself. hence the recall.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Biodiesel is better than ultra low sulfur diesel for the engine itself. It's the dilution of the oil that's the issue long term. It should not have any water at all in it. Most water you get in diesel is from condensation. The more humid it is where you live, and the more the temperature swings, the more likely you get contamination from water. Especially the first good cold snaps.

Here, fuel at big trucks stops and walmart is B15 or B20. That's where I can get it. ULSD just doesn't have enough lubricity to keep the fuel pump from grenading itself. hence the recall.
How long before the pump grenades? The manual states “the use of commercially available fuel additives are not necessary for the proper operation of the Diesel engine” I never used additives in my fuel or my engine oil in all my past vehicles and never had engine problem.

I remember the time when unleaded gasoline became mandatory, now engines run without the lead, because engines are designed to run without lead.

I would think that the fuel pumps are designed to run with the ULSD or else it would specify in the manual to use additives, and they would have some sort of specification requirements.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How long before the pump grenades? The manual states “the use of commercially available fuel additives are not necessary for the proper operation of the Diesel engine” I never used additives in my fuel or my engine oil in all my past vehicles and never had engine problem.

I remember the time when unleaded gasoline became mandatory, now engines run without the lead, because engines are designed to run without lead.

I would think that the fuel pumps are designed to run with the ULSD or else it would specify in the manual to use additives, and they would have some sort of specification requirements.
it depends

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand that "Renewable Diesel" is not biodiesel. It is diesel #2 and provides better lubricity, more power, better fuel economy than standard diesel fuel and will do no harm to the Ecodiesel.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Renewable Diesel is not Biodiesel: Knowing the Difference Matters
Thanks for the link, I had never heard of renewable diesel, if it is better than fossil fuel diesel or B5/B20 biodiesel, it should be listed in the owner’s manual that renewable fuel B99 is an acceptable fuel or beneficial to use because of cleaner burn, better performance, less regenerations, less pollution, no power loss, not affected by cold weather, long shelf life and better lubricant. The downfall is, it’s probably more expensive and not available in many locations, specially here in Northern Ontario Canada.

The manufacturer of B99 sure make it sound good, it sounds like other manufacturers, for example Hot Shot, Amsoil, Kleenex-Flow…I know they are fuel additives but they also make it sound so good, if it’s so good why doesn’t FCA recommend it, you would think that it would be a lot cheaper for them to say to add some type of fuel additives instead of recalling over 60,000 Ecodiesel vehicles to replace the high pressure fuel pump. My owner’s manual says that adding fuel additives is not necessary for the function of the Diesel engine.

What is the price difference between fossil diesel fuel and renewable diesel B99 in California?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand that "Renewable Diesel" is not biodiesel. It is diesel #2 and provides better lubricity, more power, better fuel economy than standard diesel fuel and will do no harm to the Ecodiesel.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Renewable Diesel is not Biodiesel: Knowing the Difference Matters
That's all fine and dandy, are they paying for repairs or buying you an engine or fuel system if it causes a problem? You may be able to prove detrimental reliance and an implied warranty if they keep making claims like that in public and in writing.

Croaker

Reaction score
What is the price difference between fossil diesel fuel and renewable diesel B99 in California?

Renewable is around 10 cents cheaper per gallon. (I just paid $6.09/gal)

It has replaced regular diesel #2 in most of the stations around me. (I noticed it first at Arco) ...It is becoming difficult to find regular diesel #2.

5BCEC6BD-3110-4950-B922-292B2A18B794.png

Last edited:

Renewables

Reaction score

I know it's been a while since you asked, and hope you've been able to get your hands on renewable diesel. For those wondering, renewable diesel and biodiesel are both made from biomass, but they ARE NOT the same.

RENEWABLE DIESEL (R99 or R100) is chemically the same as fossil diesel, so it is 100% compatible with ANY diesel engine...cars, trucks, heavy-duty freight, boats, diesel trains. But it's made from 100% renewable raw resources. For example, Neste MY Renewable Diesel is approved by wide range of OEMs and it is TOP TIER certified. You can mix it with fossil diesel in your tank or go 100% pure, which cuts GHG emissions by up to 75%.

BIODIESEL (B100) only works with engines designed (or modified) to run it. For anyone else whose OEM has approved biodiesel, it's usually at a much lower blend ratio like B5 or B20, meaning you're not getting the full GHG reduction. It's also less performant in cold weather.

On top of that, there is evidence that renewable diesel is better for the engine than even fossil diesel, since it burns cleaner. That means fuel injectors and filters can go longer without the same level of corrosion or soot build up that you may experience today.

If you've been curious about renewable diesel, it's definitely worth checking out.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know it's been a while since you asked, and hope you've been able to get your hands on renewable diesel. For those wondering, renewable diesel and biodiesel are both made from biomass, but they ARE NOT the same.

RENEWABLE DIESEL (R99 or R100) is chemically the same as fossil diesel, so it is 100% compatible with ANY diesel engine...cars, trucks, heavy-duty freight, boats, diesel trains. But it's made from 100% renewable raw resources. For example, Neste MY Renewable Diesel is approved by wide range of OEMs and it is TOP TIER certified. You can mix it with fossil diesel in your tank or go 100% pure, which cuts GHG emissions by up to 75%.

BIODIESEL (B100) only works with engines designed (or modified) to run it. For anyone else whose OEM has approved biodiesel, it's usually at a much lower blend ratio like B5 or B20, meaning you're not getting the full GHG reduction. It's also less performant in cold weather.

On top of that, there is evidence that renewable diesel is better for the engine than even fossil diesel, since it burns cleaner. That means fuel injectors and filters can go longer without the same level of corrosion or soot build up that you may experience today.

If you've been curious about renewable diesel, it's definitely worth checking out.
Link

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

So in case anyone is wondering what a shill is, this is a shill. Comes across as a regular guy, but is obviously trying to get people to click on his little link. Didn’t even try very hard to conceal himself either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/