5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing XM shark fin antenna cause issues?

dragnby

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just put a 3.5” ready lift and 35s on my 19 Laramie long horn and it would fit in the garage but the shark fin antenna barely keeps it from doing so.

I don’t listen to xm or Sirius or any of that. If I remove the shark fin and find a nice looking low profile dummy one to just stick in its place, would anything else be affected? I’ve read where the nav GPS and FM radio aren’t ran off the shark fin.

I just thought someone on here would have the best answer. Thanks in advance for any info!
BFF0EB91-3FD0-4C9C-9D0A-19CEBD4E99DB.jpeg

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Idk exactly what else is In the shark fin but the GPS is not one of them.. probably just the SXM antenna...

MoparRamMan

Reaction score
I'm putting 35s on my Limited which has air suspension and I'm sure it won't fit in the garage either. Your new tires look great on the stock 22s, BTW. I do believe Sirius/XM is the only signal routed from the shark fin. There are several low-profile aftermarket replacements in the Interweb.

dragnby

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess I’m going to just unplug it and see what all still works to make sure. I’ll report back in a few days when I get the time. And yea man 35s will look great on your limited. You may not have my issue with the air suspension.

Reaction score
I would try to find out where the GPS antenna is located first if it isn't in the sharkfin antenna. From what I can see on my 2020, that is the only antenna on the truck and its longer profile and larger size than the one on my 2017 Ram I just traded in would lead me to believe that this sharkfin is being used for the cellular connection, SiriusXM, AM/FM radio, and GPS unless they happened to fit the GPS antenna into the housing for the rear view mirror.

On a side note, I work with antennas and cellular devices every day at work so I have seen quite a few variations on on combo antennas. You can find out what it is used for by looking at how many cables are coming off the antenna. If it is truly just for SiriusXM then it will only have 1 cable running from it to the uconnect system. If it is used for multiple things then it will have multiple cables because of the frequency range/bandwidth for each system will use different antennas and won't be able to rely on a single antenna. GPS is around 1227 and 1575 MHz. SiriusXM is between 2320 to 2332.5 MHz, Your FM radio is 88-108 MHz, and the cell radio in the truck will use a 700 MHz, 1700/2100 MHz, and maybe even a 1900 MHz band.

Rebel10420

Reaction score
Any updates after removing the shark fin? I am in a similar situation and would like to remove it to get the truck in the garage.

nilsd

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess I’m going to just unplug it and see what all still works to make sure. I’ll report back in a few days when I get the time. And yea man 35s will look great on your limited. You may not have my issue with the air suspension.
Curious if you ever took a crack at this. i'm in the same predicament.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would try to find out where the GPS antenna is located first if it isn't in the sharkfin antenna. From what I can see on my 2020, that is the only antenna on the truck and its longer profile and larger size than the one on my 2017 Ram I just traded in would lead me to believe that this sharkfin is being used for the cellular connection, SiriusXM, AM/FM radio, and GPS unless they happened to fit the GPS antenna into the housing for the rear view mirror.

On a side note, I work with antennas and cellular devices every day at work so I have seen quite a few variations on on combo antennas. You can find out what it is used for by looking at how many cables are coming off the antenna. If it is truly just for SiriusXM then it will only have 1 cable running from it to the uconnect system. If it is used for multiple things then it will have multiple cables because of the frequency range/bandwidth for each system will use different antennas and won't be able to rely on a single antenna. GPS is around 1227 and 1575 MHz. SiriusXM is between 2320 to 2332.5 MHz, Your FM radio is 88-108 MHz, and the cell radio in the truck will use a 700 MHz, 1700/2100 MHz, and maybe even a 1900 MHz band.
Sharkfins are, typically, SiriusXM only. It may also include the wireless hot spot in those trucks with that capability. Vehicles with NAV normally have the GPS antenna on the under side of the dash as the signal passes directly thru the dashboard. I am not claiming this to be accurate, but what I have seen over the years on many different vehicles. I have not seen AM/FM in a sharkfin as its footprint is too small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online