5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing tow hooks

Go24girl

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm trying to remove my tow hooks to paint them and I cannot any of the 4 bolts to budge. Even the auto body place failed. Any trick?

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
I took mine off not long ago to paint as well. I had to turn the wheel to lock in the direction I was in to reach them and got the longest wrench I could to get it started.

Once I got the initial break, it wasn't bad. Taking out the long bolt that goes through the top is very annoying though and has a special washer to stop it coming out. You'll have to hit it with a mallet to break the washer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Depending on where you live and how old the truck is there could be corrosion setting in. I find it odd that the shop couldn’t get them broke loose with an impact. I used a regular 1/2” ratchet when I removed the bolts to install my tow hooks.

saylor

Reaction score
+1 i just did this. funny how this is coming up alot lately lol.
20210121_114312.jpg
in this pic you can see a tow hook, the overly large bolt, the inner wheel well liner frontal piece, and at the very left side amongst the tools the other tow hook bolt.

i used the wrench with the red handle adjustable size and it was like a 19mm or 21mm IIRC.

the looong bolt has a keeper on it. you have to get in between the wheel and wheelwell - remove the frontal liner. AFTER you unbolt it completely and its flopppin around loose - then put a wrench or something around the bolt. then hammer downards like hell. on mine one side the keeper is up in the frame and the other side the keeper came out with the bolt and you toss it.

you need a swively adapter to get good on one of them.

and you really have to mush the rubber airdams to get a good line on them.

but ya.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
I took mine off after I took the bumper off to install my hidden winch mount. I had more room then, but it came with some brute force. Crescent wrench and a mallet to get the bolts off is the right answer like @saylor said.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok guys....i was looking for a thread like this.

So in regards to painting tow hooks, what was your process? Did you just throw some paint on top of the black, or did you sand it down?

I want to do the same, however I always have problems with it flaking off. Since i go offroad every couple of weeks, from time to time, I do use them. I bought some soft shackles so I can use them, but what will you do so it doesn't flake off? I guess I can send them off to powder coat them, but I think that it's something you can do at home.

Since it's a diy kinda of a job, I just want it to last just a little bit.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
Ok guys....i was looking for a thread like this.

So in regards to painting tow hooks, what was your process? Did you just throw some paint on top of the black, or did you sand it down?

I want to do the same, however I always have problems with it flaking off. Since i go offroad every couple of weeks, from time to time, I do use them. I bought some soft shackles so I can use them, but what will you do so it doesn't flake off? I guess I can send them off to powder coat them, but I think that it's something you can do at home.

Since it's a diy kinda of a job, I just want it to last just a little bit.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)
If they are black you can use a paint thinner and mix with sanding. Mine was chrome so had to do a a lot of sanding to get that rough surface.

After that, put 2-3 coats of primer at 20 minute intervals and then the final paint in a similar fashion. I hung mine from a wire clothes hook. Worked out well. I do a lot of off roading and the paint has held up. I used red engine ceramic paint.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they are black you can use a paint thinner and mix with sanding. Mine was chrome so had to do a a lot of sanding to get that rough surface.

After that, put 2-3 coats of primer at 20 minute intervals and then the final paint in a similar fashion. I hung mine from a wire clothes hook. Worked out well. I do a lot of off roading and the paint has held up. I used red engine ceramic paint.

Yeah...I ordered black ones, and the bezels to go with it. I want to paint both the bezels and tow hooks to match my body paint (it's hydro blue).

I don't think that the bezels would be hard to paint, just a light sanding. That's why I'm trying to figure out the tow hooks. Got some primer, factory matching color paint and maybe use some clear coat. I just hope it sticks around.

That Red engine paint would probably last longer than the spray paint I ordered from automotive touch up paint. Maybe that is what I might need to do. Find me some blue engine paint...or just leave them black, and just paint the bezels

Any pics?

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
Yeah...I ordered black ones, and the bezels to go with it. I want to paint both the bezels and tow hooks to match my body paint (it's hydro blue).

I don't think that the bezels would be hard to paint, just a light sanding. That's why I'm trying to figure out the tow hooks. Got some primer, factory matching color paint and maybe use some clear coat. I just hope it sticks around.

That Red engine paint would probably last longer than the spray paint I ordered from automotive touch up paint. Maybe that is what I might need to do. Find me some blue engine paint...or just leave them black, and just paint the bezels

Any pics?

I left the bezels alone cuz they are still pretty tucked in and puts more focus on the hooks. It's not professional but turned out awesome. Here is mine.
ed19f4549353f3ff3da97645462048a8.jpg
1b22c275560bd3e2d136fc15ecb21134.jpg

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I left the bezels alone cuz they are still pretty tucked in and puts more focus on the hooks. It's not professional but turned out awesome. Here is mine.
ed19f4549353f3ff3da97645462048a8.jpg
1b22c275560bd3e2d136fc15ecb21134.jpg

Looks great man. Now that I see yours, I’m liking how the chrome makes the hooks stand out a little.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
Looks great man. Now that I see yours, I’m liking how the chrome makes the hooks stand out a little.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I was iffy at first because I never saw a lot of this combo. It was either red on black face or red on body matched face. I am really happy with how they turned out, and yes, having the chrome really draws the eye to the hooks and I love that!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
They look good, but to me the chrome bumper tones them down a bit. A painted bumper makes them pop more to me. I've posted this pic before, but here's mine shortly after I painted them last spring...

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 34

Nickv1214

Reaction score
AEDCFA3C-52CF-44E8-9F76-FF9999B732BF.jpeg I just had mine powder coated red , much easier to remove with the bumper off . Front bumper
Is very easy to remove.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 82109 I just had mine powder coated red , much easier to remove with the bumper off . Front bumper
Is very easy to remove.
Where did you get it powder coated?

Nickv1214

Reaction score
Where did you get it powder coated?

Where are you located ? I live in ny, there are shops all over the place that powder coat

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online