5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing tow hooks without removing skid plate?

antwon412

Reaction score
Planned on painting my tow hooks today. Cannot get the second bolt out. It is on there TIGHT. I don’t have the correct 3/4“ breaker bar at the moment. Good excuse to buy a new tool!
For those of you that have removed them, did you drop the skid plate? Trying to avoid that. Or did a breaker bar do the job?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Planned on painting my tow hooks today. Cannot get the second bolt out. It is on there TIGHT. I don’t have the correct 3/4“ breaker bar at the moment. Good excuse to buy a new tool!
For those of you that have removed them, did you drop the skid plate? Trying to avoid that. Or did a breaker bar do the job?
Nope, just remove 2 bolts and slide from back side. The 1 bolt has retaining washer so you need to tap it out.

JJ_Rebel

Reaction score
I just used a 1/2" socket wrench. Mine came off pretty easy. You will need a crowbar or maybe a 2x4 to wedge up in there and pop out the retaining washer. That retaining washer can be tuff to get out, and once you get it, the washer will be ruined so just throw it away. There's a couple of good videos on youtube if you get stuck.
- hope that helps.

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn't remove the skid plate. I did fail on my first attemp like you... then bought more tools and got it done! 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread