5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing sway bar

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I mainly use my Rebel for offroading...almost every weekend lol. Is there any benefits to removing it? Any cons other than the truck leaning over on fast turns? Also not sure if my rear springs would fall out due to over extending or if my cv axles would flex too much and break.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The con without the sway bar isn't the lean necessarily, but that the truck wont spring back and self level after making a sharp turn. Did you get longer sway bar links to accommodate the lift?

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The con without the sway bar isn't the lean necessarily, but that the truck wont spring back and self level after making a sharp turn. Did you get longer sway bar links to accommodate the lift?
I havent seen any to accommodate a 2" level. I did find these but they are for the rear only

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Front off you will gain up travel and It tends to further smooth out the ride in the dirt since you're literally honoring the independance in your IFS without the sway bar. I did remove mine for testing offroad and the difference is very noticeable.
As expected I like the handle better with the sway bar on.

With sway bar on, 315/70/17 tires and King CO's, i have 3 1/8 gap between the fender edge and the tires
Untitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

With the sway bar off, that gap closes 1.5" so now the tires sit at 1 5/8", keep in mind this is with the truck sitting in the CO bumpstop. i'd expect that bumpstop will prob close another 1" or more on a big hit, so you have to account for that as well if you want the tires not to kiss the fenders while running the truck hard. Measure your gap with and without the bar with your current tires and that will give you an idea where yours stand.

The Zone UCA BJ is maxed out without the sway bars, Icon Delta Joints or Uniballs will also allow more uptravel as the BJ won't max at this angle.

CV's are fine for the most part, this is the angle of the CV at full tuck without the sway bar so there is more room to go upwards if needed

Since you have compression adjusters in your Kings you could set the front to stiff and help with the sway but I feel the precision/control in the way the truck reacts to steering input is better at speed with the sway bar on. Take it off to test and try it super easy to remove and super easy to install back. You may like it without it. I run mine with the bar on but i have longer front sway bar links. don't know if your links are the same as the ones in the DS trucks. if they're this are the Suspension Maxx links for 2-3" lift. 1/2" more uptravel in my case compared to stock lenght links with the sway bar on

Your cv axels are going to be fine. Just don't go crazy with the jumps until you verify your fenders won't be your wheel stoppers at full compression :)

Rear off might give you a tad more droop and extra compression as well. Your rear control arms and trackbar have rubber bushings so they will rob some flex. My truck handles better with the rear bar for sure. I'll upgrade rear control arms and trackbar with stronger components and better bushings so you can enjoy full flex even with sway bar on. I've done some testing even with the Hellwig sway bar i have and I'm not loosing much anything up or down with the Hellwig on the most outer hole. But I do have Clayton rear control arms and trackbar with flexy bushings. My rear Kings are 3.5" longer than stock as well.
This was when i had the Kings OE rear shocks (27" extended, stock are 25.5").

I wanted to optimize my rear setup so i asked Accutune offroad for a cutom lengh King 2.5 rear shocks literally same lenght specks as dirt King uses in the rear bypasses for their RAM 1500 long travel kit. My new kings rears are now 29" extended. Zero issues going to the max with my rear setup (Clayton 2.5" rear coil springs, full Clayton Overland + rear arms, Clayton rear trackbar, Hellwig Sway bar outer hole, Core4x4 +2 rear swar links)
https://flic.kr/p/2kb8o3F
Hope it helps.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Front off you will gain up travel and It tends to further smooth out the ride in the dirt since you're literally honoring the independance in your IFS without the sway bar. I did remove mine for testing offroad and the difference is very noticeable.
As expected I like the handle better with the sway bar on.

With sway bar on, 315/70/17 tires and King CO's, i have 3 1/8 gap between the fender edge and the tires

With the sway bar off, that gap closes 1.5" so now the tires sit at 1 5/8", keep in mind this is with the truck sitting in the CO bumpstop. i'd expect that bumpstop will prob close another 1" or more on a big hit, so you have to account for that as well if you want the tires not to kiss the fenders while running the truck hard. Measure your gap with and without the bar with your current tires and that will give you an idea where yours stand.

The Zone UCA BJ is maxed out without the sway bars, Icon Delta Joints or Uniballs will also allow more uptravel as the BJ won't max at this angle.

CV's are fine for the most part, this is the angle of the CV at full tuck without the sway bar so there is more room to go upwards if needed

Since you have compression adjusters in your Kings you could set the front to stiff and help with the sway but I feel the precision/control in the way the truck reacts to steering input is better at speed with the sway bar on. Take it off to test and try it super easy to remove and super easy to install back. You may like it without it. I run mine with the bar on but i have longer front sway bar links. don't know if your links are the same as the ones in the DS trucks. if they're this are the Suspension Maxx links for 2-3" lift. 1/2" more uptravel in my case compared to stock lenght links with the sway bar on

Your cv axels are going to be fine. Just don't go crazy with the jumps until you verify your fenders won't be your wheel stoppers at full compression :)

Rear off might give you a tad more droop and extra compression as well. Your rear control arms and trackbar have rubber bushings so they will rob some flex. My truck handles better with the rear bar for sure. I'll upgrade rear control arms and trackbar with stronger components and better bushings so you can enjoy full flex even with sway bar on. I've done some testing even with the Hellwig sway bar i have and I'm not loosing much anything up or down with the Hellwig on the most outer hole. But I do have Clayton rear control arms and trackbar with flexy bushings. My rear Kings are 3.5" longer than stock as well.
This was when i had the Kings OE rear shocks (27" extended, stock are 25.5").

I wanted to optimize my rear setup so i asked Accutune offroad for a cutom lengh King 2.5 rear shocks literally same lenght specks as dirt King uses in the rear bypasses for their RAM 1500 long travel kit. My new kings rears are now 29" extended. Zero issues going to the max with my rear setup (Clayton 2.5" rear coil springs, full Clayton Overland + rear arms, Clayton rear trackbar, Hellwig Sway bar outer hole, Core4x4 +2 rear swar links)
https://flic.kr/p/2kb8o3F
Hope it helps.
Wow what a great write up. Thanks for all the details! I have been looking into upgrading the control arms to Core 4x4 but im not sure if it will stiffen the ride. So u installed the Clayton 2.5" springs so I'm guessing your truck is not leveled anymore?

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Wow what a great write up. Thanks for all the details! I have been looking into upgrading the control arms to Core 4x4 but im not sure if it will stiffen the ride. So u installed the Clayton 2.5" springs so I'm guessing your truck is not leveled anymore?
Correct. I’m about 2” higher in the back with respect to stock. I carry about 500lbs extra at all times in my bed courtesy of mods, tools, recovery gear etc. front is lifted at 2.75” after steel bumper, winch etc whole truck weights around 800lbs more than stock after mods :)

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct. I’m about 2” higher in the back with respect to stock. I carry about 500lbs extra at all times in my bed courtesy of mods, tools, recovery gear etc. front is lifted at 2.75” after steel bumper, winch etc whole truck weights around 800lbs more than stock after mods :)
Thanks for the tips! I took off the front swaybar only and it feels great. Im going to do some testing in the dirt this weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online