5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove center console from Longhorn

jpacheco

Reaction score
I just got a new Ram 1500 2020 Laramie Longhorn and I put a cup of iced coffee in the cup holder in the center console. Naturally the cup cracked and pretty much emptied itself into the cup holder, which thankfully held most of the liquid. I say most because even after getting all the visible coffee cleaned up, it keeps dripping out of the bottom of the slidable cup holder. I want to remove this so I can clean it.

The owners manual (p84) refers to this item as the front storage bins (mine has the tandem doors as shown) as a part of the "Premium Center Console", but does not explain how to remove it. It slides back and forth on a track and how to remove it is not obvious to me. The Dodge dealer said they could do this, but I would prefer to do it myself so I can understand how for next time. :)

Any thoughts?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
remove two trim pieces beside front by radio. 2 screws there.

Remove all 4 squares with a pick, 4 screws there. All 10 mm.

Thats it. Slide it back and remove the wiring harness and you can take the whole thing out.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you just want the cup holder out, use a trim removal tool. Pull it straight up. Remember to squeeze the detents you do NOT want to break them. Theres 6. If you reach under you can help shove the clips out. 2 clips at front.

giff71

Reaction score
If you just want the cup holder out, use a trim removal tool. Pull it straight up. Remember to squeeze the detents you do NOT want to break them. Theres 6. If you reach under you can help shove the clips out. 2 clips at front.
Can you be more specific on this? I want to remove the rubber liner and wash it. Does the top black plastic rim that goes around the whole sliding tray come out?

giff71

Reaction score
Can you be more specific on this? I want to remove the rubber liner and wash it. Does the top black plastic rim that goes around the whole sliding tray come out?
Quick follow up..i got it out. The whole sliding tray sits in a "bucket" that stays in the truck. I have a longhorn and i have 4 trim clips that you can reach under and help push up as younpift the whole tray out... then you can disassemble the cupholder piece..what a pain in the ***, just to clean cupholder

klotz50

Reaction score
Quick follow up..i got it out. The whole sliding tray sits in a "bucket" that stays in the truck. I have a longhorn and i have 4 trim clips that you can reach under and help push up as younpift the whole tray out... then you can disassemble the cupholder piece..what a pain in the ***, just to clean cupholder
One of the worst engineering oversights ever! Both my cupholder and the felt coin holder are dirt and liquid magnets. Even when you get the unit out, getting the rubber insert out and back in is a major pain in the ***.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How would I get out just the sliding portion?
Use a trim tool or small putty knife or something soft. There's clips around the edges of the sides and front. Slide it all the way forward and press the edges and get your tool in. Pop the clips and work around until you get them all the top half pops right off. Pull up and work the front around the button gently.

If you want the whole thing out, once you have the top off you'll see how it comes off. When you squeeze the handle to move it, it opens 4 pegs, into detents into the sides. You get it loose and then work those out. Look at the sides and you'll see a place where it will come out when you align it.

Users who are viewing this thread