5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove and replace chrome window trim or vinyl wrap it?

bbetts00

Reaction score
I want to replace the chrome window trim on my crystal granite Limited with matte black. Avondale offers a complete black trim kit for $241. The other option is to vinyl wrap the chrome. I think it would be roughly the same price. I have never removed/replaced window trim, and haven't seen instructions for how to do it. Any thoughts on pros/cons of the two options?

geotex1

Reaction score
One nephew is a vinyl guy. You will pay more for the wrap. Use the search and you will find others who have already replaced and may be able to provide experienced R&R guidance.

bbetts00

Reaction score
One nephew is a vinyl guy. You will pay more for the wrap. Use the search and you will find others who have already replaced and may be able to provide experienced R&R guidance.
I definitely searched before posting. Found multiple instances of owners vinyl wrapping the window trim, but couldn't find anyone that replaced the chrome trim. Can you share link?

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I definitely searched before posting. Found multiple instances of owners vinyl wrapping the window trim, but couldn't find anyone that replaced the chrome trim. Can you share link?

I am trying to find this also. Do you have any info on the Avondale Kit?

Brrryan

Reaction score
Plastidip looks great on trim IMO. You could knock it out for $10 going that route.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plastidip looks great on trim IMO. You could knock it out for $10 going that route.

Thanks, did that on my rear/side emblems but trying to avoid doing this if it's cheap enough. I also am looking into have it wrapped.

zee1313

Reaction score
My truck has way too much chrome. Replacing the window trim would help balance it out for me. I'm in the same position torn between what is best and what is cheapest.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've decided to try and wrap it. It's at the shop now and if he thinks it's going to give him any problems then he will stop and just let me know it can't be done. My fear how close the rubber is and I just don't want to chance anything getting cut.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
horrible idea...order the 12pc OEM black trim
FRONT: R 68285862AD L 68285863AD R 68348680AD L 68348680AD R 68290780AD L 68290781AD
REAR: R 68348688AE L 68348689AE R 68348684AD L 68348685AD R 68285876AD L 68285877AD

Thanks, and thank you for editing the comment out. It was a little on the harsh side. I am the one who put the link above to Avondale on eBay, and 241 is not a lot of money for the black trim but what no one seems to be able to answer is the labor involved in doing it. I would think the mirrors and all interior panels would have to be removed? AllData doesn't really provide much detail from what I saw.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
who have ya asked?
enjoy the wrap :rolleyes:

I'll answer both questions (even the one you removed). I have spoken to a body shop that I do some work for (they did my rebel hood) and yeah they do it everyday but they don't have specific instructions on the 19 RAM. It's very general from ALLDATA. They would have to see what exactly involved but yeah they do it everyday to many vehicles. I like to do things myself and don't want to ask for favors if I can tackle it. We hoped that someone here has done it already and they know the procedure.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picked up the truck, and for 80.00 I am pleased. A couple areas need some attention but I can work with it. 3M Satin Vinyl. Also did the chrome inserts on the handles.
2018-12-27 14.47.23.jpg

bbetts00

Reaction score
That's correct. He said it took him 4 hours total
Wow! I am in Austin, and was quoted $400 for wrapping window trim and door handle inserts. I would do it for $80 in a heartbeat! I brought up replacing the trim with the dealer, and they told me it would involve removing all door panels and mirrors, at minimum. @sticker500 - love your truck BTW....mine is very similar, but didn't do the sport hood. Are you planning to remove that lower side molding? Also, did you use matte black vinyl for the door handle inserts?

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow! I am in Austin, and was quoted $400 for wrapping window trim and door handle inserts. I would do it for $80 in a heartbeat! I brought up replacing the trim with the dealer, and they told me it would involve removing all door panels and mirrors, at minimum. @sticker500 - love your truck BTW....mine is very similar, but didn't do the sport hood. Are you planning to remove that lower side molding? Also, did you use matte black vinyl for the door handle inserts?

I appreciate your kind words! I think they are correct in removing the door panels and mirrors but I don't think it's too hard. I have had the rear door panels off and it's pretty straight forward. I had a few spots where the chrome was visible by a very thin line so I took some satin spray paint and sprayed it in the cap. I took a fine thin brush and basically let it "drip" into place. If the whole thing starts peeling or whatever then I am going to replace with OEM trim for 241.00 but for now it looks great ( I do have a 3 year warranty on his labor and 10 on the vinyl). The door handles are the same satin 3M vinyl as on the window trim.

I am replacing the RAM logos on the doors with factory black (not happy with PlastiDip) and I will remove the chrome moldings.

Users who are viewing this thread