5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start

Diaz0401

Reaction score
So I started to experience issues where I click my fob twice and it honks once and truck doesn’t turn on but if truck is unlocked and I hit fob twice truck turns on I have replaced batteries in my fobs. Has anyone had this issue while trying to remote start

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd have thought the other way around, start if locked, refuse if unlocked. Extra key fob left in the console? Phone paired with it? Don't know if either of those will affect it, but there are also behavior settings for various things in the infotainment vehicle menu. Just guesses...

Diaz0401

Reaction score
I'd have thought the other way around, start if locked, refuse if unlocked. Extra key fob left in the console? Phone paired with it? Don't know if either of those will affect it, but there are also behavior settings for various things in the infotainment vehicle menu. Just guesses...
Yea it’s weird it just started yesterday and I’m not sure what’s going on I’ve never had the issue and im not really sure what I should do .. when truck is locked it’ll just honk once and nothing after

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea it’s weird it just started yesterday and I’m not sure what’s going on I’ve never had the issue and im not really sure what I should do .. when truck is locked it’ll just honk once and nothing after
How much gas is in the tank? It took me a while to figure out it won't start with less than a quarter tank.

Others have experienced a failure to start if the battery is not fully up to snuff. I have read a lot about battery troubles but have not had any myself.

Diaz0401

Reaction score
How much gas is in the tank? It took me a while to figure out it won't start with less than a quarter tank.

Others have experienced a failure to start if the battery is not fully up to snuff. I have read a lot about battery troubles but have not had any myself.
It’s a little above a quarter whenever my gas light turns on I’m that’s when it starts and turns right off

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Hmmmm.

If you push a button and you get some response -- lights flashing, horn honking, whatever -- then the fob is not the problem. Nor is the receiver. Granted, it is possible, but the probability is infinitesimal.

So dig up the owner's manual and check the enabling conditions.

All of the following conditions must be met before the engine​
will remote start:​
• Gear selector in PARK​
• Doors closed​
• Hood closed​
• HAZARD switch off​
• BRAKE switch inactive (brake pedal not pushed)​
• Battery at an acceptable charge level​
• PANIC button not pushed​
• Fuel meets minimum requirement​
• System not disabled from previous remote start event​
• Vehicle security alarm not active​

And if one of them is responsible for it not working,
Remote Start Abort Message​
The following messages will display in the instrument​
cluster display if the vehicle fails to remote start or exits​
remote start prematurely:​
• Remote Start Cancelled — Door Open​
• Remote Start Cancelled — Hood Open​
• Remote Start Cancelled — Fuel Low​
• Remote Start Cancelled — System Fault​
• Remote Start Disabled — Start Vehicle to Reset​
The instrument cluster display message stays active until the​
ignition is turned to the ON/RUN position.

Next time it misbehaves, rush over and look at the cluster and see if it says anything. And if not, suspect the battery.​

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Well damn @Diaz0401 it sounds like a grounding issue then. If the battery was replaced, check all the connection points to the frame, motor and wherever it grounds to the cab. Scuff them up and tighten them back.

Hopefully the dealer does not have to reflash the PCM. Dealers are a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread