5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start working intermittently

Jreiter2

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 eco diesel with about 18k miles. Recently when I try to remote start the truck the horn beeps twice and the lights flash but the truck doesn’t start. I tried this with my second Fob which I’ve never used and got the same results. All of the other functions on the remote work fine. Any thoughts to what the problem can be? Thanks.
Jim

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, not an FCA vehicle but our Honda Odyssey does similar stuff. If I unlock the van, then lock it back then try to remote start it typically acts proper after that. Maybe give it a whirl?

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
are you low on gas? are you sure the truck is locked?

if you are low on gas the truck will not remote start. typically you'll get a message on the dash when you get in though.

Edit: i see you have the diesel.... I meant low on fuel** lol

Jreiter2

Reaction score
Haven’t tried to unlock then lock the truck. I’ll try that and see what happens. This is something that has changed in the last week or so. I have plenty of fuel. I’m scheduled for oil change at the dealership next Tuesday. I’ll ask them to look at it since I’m still under warranty. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
There's another thread on this forum somewhere talking about this and it seems to occur more frequently with the diesels (at least in that thread).

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
are you low on gas? are you sure the truck is locked?

if you are low on gas the truck will not remote start. typically you'll get a message on the dash when you get in though.

Edit: i see you have the diesel.... I meant low on fuel** lol
When you push the remote start button twice, the truck locks the doors, then it starts the truck.

My truck did what the OP's truck is doing, one time. I didn't have the driver's door closed all of the way, so it couldn't lock the doors. There are a number of things like doors and hood being closed, etc that your truck checks before it can perform a remote start. Maybe one of those items is interrupting the process.

Is there an error message in your instrument cluster after the failed remote start? Do you have an OBD II scanner that you can use to check faults?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Remote doesn't work? And it's winter? And cold? Huh. Never heard of this happening before..... Strange.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's an update flash for the ecodiesels to fix it. Mine did the same thing. The problem is the voltage is sensed as being too low and it won't start. I had the update done last week and it's worked everytime since.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Remote doesn't work? And it's winter? And cold? Huh. Never heard of this happening before..... Strange.
I know you're referring to this thread, but they might be different issues.

Anyway, check this thread...it might help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online