5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Start - "Pit Stop" mode ?

HDub

Reaction score
On the 2021 RAMs with remote start, I'm curious if anyone knows if the remote start/FOB has "pit stop" capability?

You see this option available in many Aftermarket Remote Starters. Pit Stop mode allows the driver to pull up to a stop (say, the Post Office), put it in park, engage Pit Stop mode, and the vehicle remains running while driver can lock the truck and take keys/fob inside with him. In this mode the vehicle can be locked, and if you touch the brake (without first disengaging Pit Stop mode), the vehicle shuts off (thus preventing someone breaking in and driving off in a car with engine running).

With the push button ignitions now a days, I guess the same could be accomplished by just leaving it running and taking the key fob in with you. My only thought in this scenario is, can you lock the car while it's running?

Clear as mud? Ha, just curious what these OEM Fobs with remote start capabilities can and can't do.

Thanks for the insight!

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, you can lock the truck with it running. I have a Laramie with keyless entry and it works great.
It would not function like a traditional remote start and shut off if someone tried to drive it away though. You're only option there would be to shut it off, get out and then remote start it I believe. I have not tried a multitude of things to check these scenarios out, maybe someone else has and will chime in.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I could see it be useful so your A/C or heater stays running.

If you're going to be in and out that quick, its not going to cool off that or heat up that much.
Also, in Texas its illegal to leave an unoccupied vehicle running, I've seen people get tickets for this. I'd bet its the same in other states

slatersan

Reaction score
It isn't illegal in all states. Sometimes the cabin needs to stay cool or warm based on reasons. It's a reasonable question.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm confused why you'd want a special mode for this. I often leave mine running and locked while I run in to pay a bill. Maybe it's an issue for people without proxy entry?

HDub

Reaction score
Yes, you can lock the truck with it running. I have a Laramie with keyless entry and it works great.
It would not function like a traditional remote start and shut off if someone tried to drive it away though. You're only option there would be to shut it off, get out and then remote start it I believe. I have not tried a multitude of things to check these scenarios out, maybe someone else has and will chime in.

Thanks. On your Laramie, does the Truck "know" the temp outside and set the A/C or Heather accordingly?

HDub

Reaction score
I'm confused why you'd want a special mode for this. I often leave mine running and locked while I run in to pay a bill. Maybe it's an issue for people without proxy entry?

I've got an older Tundra that's the old school physical key. I added an aftermarket Remote Starter to it and it has this Pit Stop function.

Now with the newer Keyless ignitions and remote starters from OE, the "mode" isn't really necessary. I am using that phrase here to explain the concept.

Sounds like it's doable. Appreciate the insight.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. On your Laramie, does the Truck "know" the temp outside and set the A/C or Heather accordingly?
Yes, there are also options in Uconnect to enable or disable the heated/cooled seats and heated wheel(if equipped). These are hard coded at below 40F and above 80F(I think).
It does do heat and ac based on outside temp, though it can be fooled by the sun heating the front of the truck. Not sure of temp limits on this where it does max heat/ac but I never let it warm up long enough to be super hot or super cool by the time I get in anyways.

slatersan

Reaction score
If I'm interpreting the question properly, it is seeing if left running and locked sans fob, will the truck be able to be driven away should someone break in. A previous vehicle I had wouldn't move from P to D if the fob wasnt in the vehicle. I havent tested this in my truck.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
I use mine all the time. Exactly how you described. I have kids. And I live in az. Can’t leave kids in a non running vehicle anymore. Like the good ole days.

HDub

Reaction score
I use mine all the time. Exactly how you described. I have kids. And I live in az. Can’t leave kids in a non running vehicle anymore. Like the good ole days.
Great. Appreciated

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've got an older Tundra that's the old school physical key. I added an aftermarket Remote Starter to it and it has this Pit Stop function.

Now with the newer Keyless ignitions and remote starters from OE, the "mode" isn't really necessary. I am using that phrase here to explain the concept.

Sounds like it's doable. Appreciate the insight.
I can see having something like you're describing (pit stop mode) on a vehicle that uses a physical key. But since this is the Ram 1500 5th gen forum, and all of these trucks now use pushbutton start and rf fobs, I don't see the need for the pit stop mode you asked about in your original post. It just seems redundant to me.

You could always do what was already suggested...shut off and exit the truck, then remote start it.

Drewster

Reaction score
The remote start does remote start. If you're in the post office and you want to start the car so it'll cool, use remote start.

If you were to open up the owners manual that came with your truck, you could turn to page 20 and see several conditions have to be met, but then it will lock the doors, then start the truck for 15 minutes. If you've used it, you might also notice it locks out the shifter and windows until you enter with the FOB and hit start.

HDub

Reaction score
I can see having something like you're describing (pit stop mode) on a vehicle that uses a physical key. But since this is the Ram 1500 5th gen forum, and all of these trucks now use pushbutton start and rf fobs, I don't see the need for the pit stop mode you asked about in your original post. It just seems redundant to me.

You could always do what was already suggested...shut off and exit the truck, then remote start it.

HA! I thought a forum was a place to exchange information and help others the same. It's been that for me, anyways.

Sorry to have bothered. I've made maybe a handful of posts. I'm happy to remove the thread if "redundancy" is the crime, here.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
HA! I thought a forum was a place to exchange information and help others the same. It's been that for me, anyways.

Sorry to have bothered. I've made maybe a handful of posts. I'm happy to remove the thread if "redundancy" is the crime, here.
No worries H, I'm not trying to say you did anything wrong, and I'm sorry if I came off that way. :) I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around what you're asking for. You were asking about a '21 Ram, and the pit stop mode you described seems redundant on these trucks. Please feel free to talk about what you want.

redneck

Reaction score
If you're going to be in and out that quick, its not going to cool off that or heat up that much.
Also, in Texas its illegal to leave an unoccupied vehicle running, I've seen people get tickets for this. I'd bet its the same in other states

i take my dog with me & its illeagal to lock a dog in a car that is NOT running here in fl . i get out & do the remote start & leave the a/c on for him . if a cop sees a animal or kid in a locked car down here & its off your comming back to a broken window

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
i take my dog with me & its illeagal to lock a dog in a car that is NOT running here in fl . i get out & do the remote start & leave the a/c on for him . if a cop sees a animal or kid in a locked car down here & its off your comming back to a broken window

My dog would drive off if I left her in the truck and it running, f that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/