5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

remote start ineffective??

ramhouston

Reaction score
does anybody find the remote start to be ineffective climate control wise?? when i leave in the morning to go to work its about 45 - 55 degrees which is considered semi cold/chilly here in Houston. anyways.. i remote start my truck 5-7 minutes prior to walking out the house. when i do get into the truck i feel the climate control isn't even working effectively. i put my hands up to the vents and can HARDLY notice any hot air blowing out.
anybody else experience this because i hope i am not the only one???

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
does anybody find the remote start to be ineffective climate control wise?? when i leave in the morning to go to work its about 45 - 55 degrees which is considered semi cold/chilly here in Houston. anyways.. i remote start my truck 5-7 minutes prior to walking out the house. when i do get into the truck i feel the climate control isn't even working effectively. i put my hands up to the vents and can HARDLY notice any hot air blowing out.
5-7 minutes at idle isn't a very long time for engine to warm up, and HVAC probably not even trying to blow full hot wheels outside temp is 44-55 degrees, plus the heated seats/steering wheel don't even come on.

ramhouston

Reaction score
5-7 minutes at idle isn't a very long time for engine to warm up, and HVAC probably not even trying to blow full hot wheels outside temp is 44-55 degrees, plus the heated seats/steering wheel don't even come on.
the heated seats and heated steering wheel doesn’t come on unless it’s below 40 degrees and i get that. but after 5-7 minutes of idling i feel that my cabin should be at least “warm”.
hell, my F150 cabin gets warm and the heated seats activate as well around the same said temperature.

Gipraw

Reaction score
My AC comes on fine in the mornings with remote start. I don’t know if my truck has heat. I’ve never used it.

Gipraw

Reaction score
i’m not following

I was simply saying I live in Houston and I’ve never used my heat, so I can’t help you if it works or not down here when you remote start. It works fine with my AC, which I use year round.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you jump in after those 5-7 minutes what’s your coolant temp at? If the motor isn’t warm I wouldn’t expect much hot air coming through the vents.
My truck usually takes 10-15 to get up to temp but that’s with some driving, I don’t let the thing idle more than a few minutes so not really apples to apples here, just my .02 cents

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
is your auto climate option turned on ?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I had the exact same concern as you. I'm assuming you're using the AUTO setting for the heat correct? I was getting the exact same scenario but in colder weather too. I found out that the 5 or 7 minute run time was not long enough to get the engine up to normal operating temp. Once it did get to normal operating temp the AUTO climate control would kick on and start blowing heat from the vents. My new 21 is the first vehicle I owned with AUTO climate control so I wasn't used to it at all and I'm still not used to it after a year and a half of owning it. My 11 ram didn't have AUTO climate control so I would just leave it on high heat/defrost and it was fine. My new 21 is like the space shuttle compared to my 11 when it comes to electronic everything so it's taking me more time than usual to get used to everything. This is my thread I started about it HVAC auto setting problems

Last edited:

kzielu

Reaction score
I was simply saying I live in Houston and I’ve never used my heat, so I can’t help you if it works or not down here when you remote start. It works fine with my AC, which I use year round.

You haven't driven it around Xmas last year when it was below freezing (have some friends in Houston) ?

ramhouston

Reaction score
Well, when it actually gets cold out, try warming it up then and let us know how it goes.

55? Really? I'm hitting the AC button if the sun is shining through the windshield.
as i said.. i’m from South Texas and 45 - 55 degrees is considered semi cold/chilly

ramhouston

Reaction score
is your auto climate option turned on ?

I had the exact same concern as you. I'm assuming you're using the AUTO setting for the heat correct? I was getting the exact same scenario but in colder weather too. I found out that the 5 or 7 minute run time was not long enough to get the engine up to normal operating temp. Once it did get to normal operating temp the AUTO climate control would kick on and start blowing heat from the vents. My new 21 is the first vehicle I owned with AUTO climate control so I wasn't used to it at all and I'm still not used to it after a year and a half of owning it. My 11 ram didn't have AUTO climate control so I would just leave it on high heat/defrost and it was fine. My new 21 is like the space shuttle compared to my 11 when it comes to electronic everything so it's taking me more time than usual to get used to everything. This is my thread I started about it HVAC auto setting problems
i don’t ever utilize the “auto” button. i just adjust the climate control’s accordingly to whatever floats my boat during the time being.

ramhouston

Reaction score
When you jump in after those 5-7 minutes what’s your coolant temp at? If the motor isn’t warm I wouldn’t expect much hot air coming through the vents.
My truck usually takes 10-15 to get up to temp but that’s with some driving, I don’t let the thing idle more than a few minutes so not really apples to apples here, just my .02 cents
i’ll take a look next time i get the chance to and will report back.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i don’t ever utilize the “auto” button. i just adjust the climate control’s accordingly to whatever floats my boat during the time being.
its not what were talking about, auto setting is a option in your setting for when you use your remote start. if its on, when you remote start in cold weather it will automaticly put the heat on, the heated seat and steering too, when you remote start and its warm or hot it will put the ac on and the ventillated seats

ramhouston

Reaction score
its not what were talking about, auto setting is a option in your setting for when you use your remote start. if its on, when you remote start in cold weather it will automaticly put the heat on, the heated seat and steering too, when you remote start and its warm or hot it will put the ac on and the ventillated seats
if you’re referring to the “soft button” in the head unit settings then yes i have had that on. as a matter of fact that button only applies to heated/cooled seats and the heated steering wheel.
as far as i’m aware, it has 0 effect on the actual air conditioning aspect.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if you’re referring to the “soft button” in the head unit settings then yes i have had that on. as a matter of fact that button only applies to heated/cooled seats and the heated steering wheel.
the option in the setting is not only for the seats/steering it does turn heat or ac depending on the temperature, those feature like.mention in other response will only work in certain temperature range tho... at least it was on my last 2014 the 2022 i havent had the chance to test it yet

Spokes

Reaction score
The heat wont really start to blow until the oil temp is at 100 degrees F. I know this because I use "auto" and when my oil temp hits 100F that is when the fan start blowing the HAVC more aggressively. Sounds like the truck simply isn't warm enough yet.

kzielu

Reaction score
But you did have the physical Auto button set on on the climate control dial ?

Users who are viewing this thread