5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start in cold weather

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
Throwing an idea out there, not sure if I’m correct in my thinking.

The vehicle checks certain parameters when executing a remote start… low fuel, CEL, battery voltage etc. If any of these parameters don’t meet a certain threshold it cancels the request. Has anyone been able to disable the battery voltage condition so the truck actually remote starts in cold weather when the voltage is below the required parameter?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The vehicle checks certain parameters when executing a remote start… low fuel, CEL, battery voltage etc. If any of these parameters don’t meet a certain threshold it cancels the request. Has anyone been able to disable the battery voltage condition so the truck actually remote starts in cold weather when the voltage is below the required parameter?
If your battery can't maintain proper voltage in cold weather you need a new battery

n8zcc

Reaction score
I'm wondering what the low voltage parameter is to cancel a remote start request. The parameter is likely set at a value that is about as low as it could go while still supporting an engine start. I think the low voltage cut-off for most of the electronics on board is around 9.6 volts. Eliminating the battery parameter allowing a weak battery to start or attempt a start could result in a handful of set DTCs and warning lights on the DIC.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I’ve never had one fail to remote start even in -30 F.
Sounds like you have never met the conditions above then.
I have experienced the fuel level thing many times as well as the cel once.
It’s a thing, life isn’t always full of perfect scenarios.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean it's there for a reason, so why would you, especially something electrical? :unsure:

I've only had the issue with a battery going bad or CEL. Replaced and no more issues.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

No one suggested it wouldn’t remote start when cold. There were plenty other parameters mentioned though.
The person we started responding to said his truck doesn't remote start when cold. I already commented about the reason that might be happening, due to the cold.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
The person we started responding to said his truck doesn't remote start when cold. I already commented about the reason that might be happening, due to the cold.
I see now. My bad. Cold weather is not his issue, it’s his battery. He is just confusing the cause and trying to work around it instead of fixing his battery issues.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea, their was another guy that wanted to be able to remote start with low fuel. Just don't let the tank get that low in the first place, not great in cold weather to have an empty tank anyway.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
yea, their was another guy that wanted to be able to remote start with low fuel. Just don't let the tank get that low in the first place, not great in cold weather to have an empty tank anyway.
I can’t say I do not run my tank low. Bad habit, but I have never had the desire to work around my laziness. Hahaha

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There was an update for the battery voltage / remote start issue. Believe they lowered the low limit threshold to compensate for cold weather and drop in battery voltage when it’s winter up north. Had big issues remote starting (30-40% success in winter) until the update. Now works fine.

loc8or

Reaction score
I have had this several times to me. If truck sits outside when real cold, like -25deg or colder, it will happen. Start it by pushing button, starts right up. No hesitation from battery at all. I totally agree that the parameters are set too low. Not always just put a new battery in and viola. If I could, I would bypass it too!

Users who are viewing this thread