5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Start From App

AlaskaChris

Reaction score
New Ram owner here from Alaska!
I bought a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie in a far away land called Ohio!
While I wait for it to arrive, I’ve been trying to learn as much about this truck that I can.
One thing I can’t quite nail down is whether remote start via the RAM app is available, free, or subscription.
I see mentions of SiriusXM Guardian and that it’s not all that good.
My current vehicle has the Viper Smart Start and it’s near instantaneous. Same for my wife’s Explorer via the Ford app.

Can someone shed some light on this curious conundrum for me?

D5C66A16-51DE-4CE0-BA31-1ED49617661A.jpeg

gofishn

Reaction score
My Experience is remote start form the FOB is limited. Verylimited, LIke looking at it, less than a hundred yards away.
Remote start using the phone app seems to work if truck has a signal but it is a subscription service, once the trial period runs out and, honetsly, not worth ti, for me. Specially nto after seeing how my wife;s ford has it for free.

2nd RAM with remote start and, if I ever do anything different, it will be an aftermarket remote start.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
New Ram owner here from Alaska!
I bought a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie in a far away land called Ohio!
While I wait for it to arrive, I’ve been trying to learn as much about this truck that I can.
One thing I can’t quite nail down is whether remote start via the RAM app is available, free, or subscription.
I see mentions of SiriusXM Guardian and that it’s not all that good.
My current vehicle has the Viper Smart Start and it’s near instantaneous. Same for my wife’s Explorer via the Ford app.

Can someone shed some light on this curious conundrum for me?

View attachment 147783
The remote start through app can take a couple minutes to actually start from the time you push the button in app. It is subscription based after the free trials and is about $12/mo which is t worth it to not people

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also in Alaska, welcome! Is the truck new or used? If it's used the trial for remote start will be over and they will want to charge you an obnoxious exorbitant fee to use it. Pretty sad that Ford give you 5+ years on a cheap Escape but spend $70k on a truck and Stellantis wants to screw you monthly.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
The remote start through app can take a couple minutes to actually start from the time you push the button in app. It is subscription based after the free trials and is about $12/mo which is t worth it to not people
Maybe its just me but my remote start always took a couple of min to reach the truck but lately it is always like 20-30 seconds.
Im one that likes the start from app, I work in large factories in a cold climate. Just about the time im finishing a job I start from app and truck is warm when I get to it. Fob is useless when im in the factory.
Its a tax deduction for my business :)
Tom

AlaskaChris

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!
The app start is a must for me. Like Tom above, when my shift ends, I start my car and by the time I walk out to the employee lot, it’s warm and toasty for the drive home.
Looks like I’ll be getting a Viper or Drone kit…

Also in Alaska, welcome! Is the truck new or used? If it's used the trial for remote start will be over and they will want to charge you an obnoxious exorbitant fee to use it. Pretty sad that Ford give you 5+ years on a cheap Escape but spend $70k on a truck and Stellantis wants to screw you monthly.

A little off topic, how does your air ride suspension do in the cold? I heard too many horror stories about it freezing up and that’s why I went with a Laramie and had to do a nationwide search for one with the Tech and Adv Safety packages!

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!
The app start is a must for me. Like Tom above, when my shift ends, I start my car and by the time I walk out to the employee lot, it’s warm and toasty for the drive home.
Looks like I’ll be getting a Viper or Drone kit…

A little off topic, how does your air ride suspension do in the cold? I heard too many horror stories about it freezing up and that’s why I went with a Laramie and had to do a nationwide search for one with the Tech and Adv Safety packages!
I've had two 5th gens with air ride and I've never had an issue. The 4th gens seemed to have a lot more issues but it was redesigned for our models and I don't recall a single person having any issues.

BNeal

Reaction score
Chevy is worse! My wife has a '19 Equinox. I got tired of paying for the OnStar and canceled it. Now, even the key fob remote start has been turned off. Arrrrgh!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Chevy is worse! My wife has a '19 Equinox. I got tired of paying for the OnStar and canceled it. Now, even the key fob remote start has been turned off. Arrrrgh!
You sure it's turned off? My wife's 20 Traverse only had three months free OnStar for remote start through app, but the keyfob works just fine. We never paid for OnStar. Just have to hit lock button, then hold remote start button until it flashes the lights

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My experience with SiriusXM Guardian is 50/50 and when it worked it took around a 1 minute or 2 for the car to receive command, so i got the Compustar Security System w/ DroneMobile module installed, been working good so far for last 2 year.

Users who are viewing this thread