5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Start being lazy when it’s cold....

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve noticed on mornings when it’s low single digits or sub-zero that the remote start doesn’t want to cooperate every time. Battery and charging system is fine and no other signs of weirdness. Issue with both fobs but the fobs work perfectly for all other functions.

When I press to remote start the horn blows on first tap but I don’t get the second honk after the second tap.

Truck starts up like a champ when I start it with the start button inside the truck.

Later in the day when it’s warmer the remote stArt works perfectly. Google searches suggest that it’s not uncommon in vehicles when super cold outside. Seems like modern vehicles go into self preservation mode when it’s that cold outside. But am curious if other 5th gen owners have the sAme issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
I live in Fairbanks Alaska and have used the remote start for the past 2 winters in -40° and below. I haven’t had an issue.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in Fairbanks Alaska and have used the remote start for the past 2 winters in -40° and below. I haven’t had an issue.

Thanks. I did some more searching on the forum after I posted and did find thread where lot of people are having the issue. You’re one of the lucky ones I guess. Seems like the culprit is either a battery having trouble keeping voltage when it’s very cold or maybe a software cutoff that prevents remote start when voltage is below certain levels. Time to test battery I guess.

U

User_3336

I’ve noticed on mornings when it’s low single digits or sub-zero that the remote start doesn’t want to cooperate every time. Battery and charging system is fine and no other signs of weirdness. Issue with both fobs but the fobs work perfectly for all other functions.

When I press to remote start the horn blows on first tap but I don’t get the second honk after the second tap.

Truck starts up like a champ when I start it with the start button inside the truck.

Later in the day when it’s warmer the remote stArt works perfectly. Google searches suggest that it’s not uncommon in vehicles when super cold outside. Seems like modern vehicles go into self preservation mode when it’s that cold outside. But am curious if other 5th gen owners have the sAme issue.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you search / read this thread before you started another on the same topic? :-\

Yep minutes afterward

hoodac78

Reaction score
When my fob stopped working in the cold, it was the battery. Took the truck to the dealer, they did a diagnostic test on the battery and found it was faulty. Replaced under warranty. It started like a champ afterward in -40 C.

Users who are viewing this thread