5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relocating digital rear view camera on 2021 Ram 1500

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a bed rack and a roof top tent. When the two are mounted, the digital rear view camera is blocked (actually, it just sees the top of the tent, which isn't particular useful). Thus, I wonder if it's possible to relocate the rear view camera to the back of the rack. This would also be useful for someone with a camper top, or when towing. In fact, so useful that the 2022 models get a Tow Mode, with a hookup for an additional camera. Alas, I have a 2021 with the Technology Group (which added the LED CHMSL and digital rear view mirror).

In my ideal world, I'd be able to add the Tow Mode camera to my 2021, but I'm not holding my breath on that. Next best would being able to switch from the camera built into the CHMSL and a camera mounted to the rack. Switching could mean unplugging one (easily accessed) cable and plugging in another; it doesn't have to be particularly sophisticated. And of course, I'd like to do this without introducing leaks, particularly at the CHMSL.

I feel like I came across a post about this, but I cannot find it now.

Among my questions:
  • Where could I source another camera that would work with the digital rear view camera?
  • I assume I would use a Fakra coax cable for this. Where does this cable terminate, aside from the CHMSL camera? Does it go to the UConnect system or to the rearview mirror?
  • What's a good way to allow switching from one rear view camera to another?
I do have the trailer camera wiring package, which allows me to connect two additional camera, but these would show up on the 12" screen, not the rearview mirror. That's an okay compromise, but not as good as displaying on the mirror, as it's natural to look up at it, and it's always on.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I found this video via this post. Still going through the video, but it seems like a partial solution, provided this works for the 1500 as well as 2500/3500 (it's a 3500 in the video).

Users who are viewing this thread