5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reliability of factory LED headlights/taillights

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apparently if any LED diode goes out on these LED units it requires replacement of the entire assembly, to the tune of $900ish? So I’m just curious for those of you with high mileage 2019/2020s, how have your LEDs held up and did you have to replace the entire assembly for just one bad diode?
Thx.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I believe the replacement is correct as it’s a single unit that is not repairable by most people. I’ve had mine for a year so far and haven’t had any issues.

It’s just like any other piece of electronic equipment ever produced, your mileage will vary and it will eventually fail, just a matter of when. It could be in a day, it could be in ten years, you just never know.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
The LED assembly is probably the most reliable part in your truck. They make them non-repairable because of their expected lifetime. It's about 50-150K hours. I have 35k miles on my truck and only had it running 1200 hours in total(idle+driving).
I wouldn't be so worried about it. If they work through the warranty period, they'll probably work forever...
I mean... look at LED 3rd brake lights from the 90s.... still working and looks better than 2020s cars with incandescent lights.
I know, they're a little different, but still, LED is an LED.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha thx. I’ve never owned a vehicle with LED lighting so I’m not sure just how long and reliable they really are. 50-150k hours, that’s pretty dang impressive!

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On another LED note, I just converted all of the interior lighting to Lasfit LEDs... map and dome lights. What a difference in interior brightness, highly recommended. Did the CHMSL cargo lights and finally just ordered the 3rd brake light from Diode Dynamics. Should be 100% LED soon!

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
On another LED note, I just converted all of the interior lighting to Lasfit LEDs... map and dome lights. What a difference in interior brightness, highly recommended. Did the CHMSL cargo lights and finally just ordered the 3rd brake light from Diode Dynamics. Should be 100% LED soon!
Nice!
It upgrades the appearance completely!
Mine is full-LED already and I love it!
No maintenance was needed yet.

Sainthalo

Reaction score
New 2020 2500 Laramie owner here, 2 weeks into ownership right low beams not working, brought to dealer last Friday 8am. 220 miles in vehicle and it is still in shop waiting for a replacement lamp. Waiting 5 days now dealer says it will take a full week. Sadly, sorry be a downer hopefully this is an exception and not the norm.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
New 2020 2500 Laramie owner here, 2 weeks into ownership right low beams not working, brought to dealer last Friday 8am. 220 miles in vehicle and it is still in shop waiting for a replacement lamp. Waiting 5 days now dealer says it will take a full week. Sadly, sorry be a downer hopefully this is an exception and not the norm.
I sincerely apologize for the trouble. Please do not hesitate to follow up with our customer care team for further support as you work with your dealer. You may call in at 866-726-4636 or submit your info here to receive an email follow up. https://bit.ly/3fy5Kfo

Mark
RamCares

CPenn1086

Reaction score
LED is significantly more reliable and has a much longer lifespan then your typical halogen bulb. It should be the least of your concerns on this truck.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
As i said, As long as it's not defective from the factory and it works for the first 30K miles, It'll probably be the last thing to break on your truck.
220 miles means it's a faulty unit. Sorry man, it happens sometimes :(

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As i said, As long as it's not defective from the factory and it works for the first 30K miles, It'll probably be the last thing to break on your truck.
220 miles means it's a faulty unit. Sorry man, it happens sometimes :(
Exactly!
I'd rather fly on a three year old plane than a three week old plane.

Sainthalo

Reaction score
Not so much as concerned about the light as I am that it is taking 7days to get truck back for which I’m still waiting. I’m still happy bout the buy, and would rather these things work themselves out earlier than later. Thanks for all the followups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Georgf

Reaction score
There is one part in LED headlight you can change if it will stop working - ballast module, located under the headlight. I think it’s often be a reason the headlight is not working, not LED itself.

Attachments

• 979D1379-6C47-4A37-B8E9-B7D9B5DFD08A.jpeg
    979D1379-6C47-4A37-B8E9-B7D9B5DFD08A.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 28

Users who are viewing this thread