5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Regular" tailgate temperamental to release, MFT won't open

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
So today my tailgate started acting odd. It won't always fully release, as you know normally you tap the handle or release it from the keyfob/inside the truck. Today it works on occasion, but usually I have to hit the release a few times and give it a little help to release.

The MFT won't release at all. You hear a tiny click, and it moves a hair. Then the entire thing is stuck until you push it back in place.

I messed with it 100 times, ONCE I got the MFT to release.

Called the dealer, they'll get to it when they get to it. Wanted to see if there was something obvious that I have overlooked.

JCK_25

Reaction score
I have the same issue on occasion. Tailgate clocks, you have to then push in on the tailgate and try again. Try adjusting your striker bolts. When I loosen mine and pull them all the way to the rear it seems to resolve my issue. I also have a Bedrug mat that sometime gets caught across the bottom of the tailgate and binds some and I feel not fully latching. After those instances I find my tailgate getting sticky.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I have the same issue on occasion. Tailgate clocks, you have to then push in on the tailgate and try again. Try adjusting your striker bolts. When I loosen mine and pull them all the way to the rear it seems to resolve my issue. I also have a Bedrug mat that sometime gets caught across the bottom of the tailgate and binds some and I feel not fully latching. After those instances I find my tailgate getting sticky.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
My regular tailgate seems to be working fine now, but the MFT will not release at all

GoMango16

Reaction score
My MFT wold not open once so I opened the tailgate and shut it harder. Seems that if the tailgate is not getting the signal that it is not fully latched, the MFT won't release.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
My MFT wold not open once so I opened the tailgate and shut it harder. Seems that if the tailgate is not getting the signal that it is not fully latched, the MFT won't release.
I’ve had that a few times, but it is releasing- just not all the way. I can hear it clicking

Booch

Reaction score
My regular tailgate is finicky. It has fell opened a few times on it's own. Seems like it might be a little too light for its own good. It doesn't take much to close it, but I wonder if it needs more force at times. I often check my backup cam on occasion because I'm nervous about it. Of course, it's not something that I could reproduce at the dealer.

So yea, if anyone finds anything obvious, I'm listening too.

GoMango16

Reaction score
I sprayed mine with WD-40 silicon on all the pins and latches. Seemed to me it helped a lot.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As suggested in post #2, adjusting latch pins is a very easy adjustment to make. Get a T-30, and loosen the pins. you’ll find that there’s a lot of adjustability.

Look at where the latches on the tail gate best meet, snug the pins a touch, find the sweet spot for the best operation, then tighten the pins.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this issue for the first time with my standard tailgate last week. Hasn't repeated itself yet but will keep an eye on it.

Users who are viewing this thread