5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Registration Fees

79 300

Reaction score
I only pay $190 for a 2 year registration here in PA. We have the 2nd highest gas tax in the country though, so one way or another they get you. Right now 87 octane is around $3.35 around here.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like Cogito said in an earlier post. Here in MA, you pay about $80 for registration renewal every 2 years, but you also pay "excise" tax every year, which on a new $50K truck would probably be around $600-$700.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
why do they keep "taxing" your vehicles every year? Seems like theft or Underhanded way to force people to government transportation?

rylock21

Reaction score
Paid $391 for 4 years of OR registration, got a renewal on my truck from CA right after we moved and it was $485 for a year…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick J

Reaction score

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I just saw 2 days ago, California has the lowest Dealer Doc fee in the country. OH has a max dealer doc fee of $250. So yeah, I mean they get ya one way but we're not paying $600-800 in fees, that's ridiculous.

JC4041

Reaction score
In Arkansas, tags are very cheap. My son just got his and paid around $28. The catch is the personal property tax. The state assigns each vehicle you have a "value" that doesn't match anything in the real world. It's like they adjust vehicle value to what it was in the 1960s and then you pay tax on that. With the six vehicle I own, the total is about $800 a year including some weird standard amount I'm charged for my furniture. And I pay a little extra for several special plates and one custom plate. But overall, it's fairly cheap. If I didn't own one new vehicle and the special plates, the whole thing would only be around $200 per years for personal taxes and less than $150 for five tags. The personal property tax on new vehicles is much higher than used ones. Arkansas is a "populist" state meaning the state always tries to take it easy on the folks that have as much.

This exactly why my 09 still runs Arkansas tags, I pay like $300 for property taxes and $32 for tags. Until I traded in our 07 Charger on the 21 Charger, it too was running Arkansas plates.....so say $360 for 2 vehicles....while my wife's 15 Durango was like $450 for Cali plates. We traded the Durango in on the 21 2500 and the "registration fees" was close to $900 because Cali sees EVERY truck as a "commercial vehicle"......

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Mine's going to be higher yet. Iowa charges a base plus amount based on list price. It tapers of eventually due to age but takes a long time. Pickups used to be dirt cheap until "everyone" started driving them. "Luxury" tax here we come.....🙄😒
I finally found the calculator. I about choked. Base fee is $0.40/hundred weight of the vehicle PLUS 1% of list price for the first seven years. I don't know if the list price is the actual list of the exact vehicle I buy or the "base model". I'm potentially looking at around $824 PER YEAR plus the nominal $15/year for my personalized vanity plates (that fee I think is reasonable) but NOT the base. IIRC, pickups used to be $150/yr no matter what.....

My truck is going to identify as a 10 year old Tradesman 🤣🤣🤣

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
For what it's worth (nothing) ;) I don't really care what happens in California but I wouldn't call it a dumb remark. The latest statistics available (2018 thru 2019) have California as 50th out of 50 for net migration with a loss of over 200K people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_net_migration
if you lived here you would know people did not fill out the census so any thing especially from eikipedia which can be modified by anyone with an account is false.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Yup, I’m also in NH and paid similar (~$700ish) when my truck was new in 2018, but I reg’d it in October with my birthday in May, so i only had to pay ~60% of that. NH registrations definitely not cheap, especially the first couple years. I’ve always lived in NH, so I’m used to it…? I guess.

1D32319

Reaction score
Before moving here, I had Alaska plates on a Tacoma for about 10 years and it was only about $100 every 2 years.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Okay.....

I got my "Excel on" and actually figured up my registration costs in Arkansas for 2020 including the personal property taxes. It's actually a little cheaper than I described. This is all registration-related costs for all vehicles I owned and registered in 2020. Two have antique tags and I only had to pay once about six years ago.

1632321991336.png

Attachments

• 1632321938714.png
    1632321938714.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 7

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
about $750 for my 1st year in MN - calc by taking 1.285% of MSRP with destination fee plus county wheelage tax and $10 registration fee and $6 filing fee. The value used for calc drops $10/year until vehicle hits 11 years of age and is then a flat $25/year.

U

User_72751

When I moved from Ca to AZ back in 2004 I thought man it is going to be nice to not pay CA registrations fees. Turns out AZ is worse than CA. My initial registration on my 2021 Laramie was just a tick over $1000. I'm guessing next year it's going to be over $800.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I moved from Ca to AZ back in 2004 I thought man it is going to be nice to not pay CA registrations fees. Turns out AZ is worse than CA. My initial registration on my 2021 Laramie was just a tick over $1000. I'm guessing next year it's going to be over $800.
Yep. When I lived in AZ I was shocked how high registration fees were. By the time the fees drop to a reasonable amount, you are ready to trade up to a new truck.

Users who are viewing this thread