5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Registration Fees

Kenny4

Reaction score
Just got my first year registration renewal and the fee is $695. I'm in So Cal. How does that compare to what you pay? Thanks

Kenny4

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Mine's going to be higher yet. Iowa charges a base plus amount based on list price. It tapers of eventually due to age but takes a long time. Pickups used to be dirt cheap until "everyone" started driving them. "Luxury" tax here we come.....🙄😒

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
In Arkansas, tags are very cheap. My son just got his and paid around $28. The catch is the personal property tax. The state assigns each vehicle you have a "value" that doesn't match anything in the real world. It's like they adjust vehicle value to what it was in the 1960s and then you pay tax on that. With the six vehicle I own, the total is about $800 a year including some weird standard amount I'm charged for my furniture. And I pay a little extra for several special plates and one custom plate. But overall, it's fairly cheap. If I didn't own one new vehicle and the special plates, the whole thing would only be around $200 per years for personal taxes and less than $150 for five tags. The personal property tax on new vehicles is much higher than used ones. Arkansas is a "populist" state meaning the state always tries to take it easy on the folks that don't have as much.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yet another reason why people are leaving Calif. in droves.

California is surprisingly not the most expensive in the country, in fact California is only 10th on the list of the highest auto registration by state.

As for leaving in droves, not exactly accurate, there are more people leaving than entering at the moment, but the established population keeps having kids and the net population growth is still increasing, just at a reduce rate. California is having the slowest population growth in its history, but it's still growing.

Which is why houses for sale in the state are typically sold in less than 30 days and the available apartments for rent is at an all time low with the highest rent historically. You would think if people were actually leaving California in droves, that home prices would fall and rents would drop, but that's the opposite of what's happening, because there is net population growth.

As for the OP's original question, mine is the same as yours on the 2nd year registration.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
$83 for 2 years in Idaho.

Edit:
Actually, it's $69 per year for the first 2 years. Mine was prorated because I transferred my plates from my Tundra.

Last edited:

Josh405

Reaction score
Oklahoma right at about 100 a year for first few years, then slowly goes down.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OMG! Are they trying to make it so only the wealthy can drive and own vehicles? NYS I pay around $120 for 2 years.

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
Same here in SoCal about $800.
When i was in RI and MA I only paid $100 for registration BUT I paid $600+ each year of excise tax.
There is no excise tax here in CA. Yes we pay higher registration than other states but overall it ends up the same since about half the states charge excise tax.

Users who are viewing this thread