5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recurring 'Dead Battery" issue 2019 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 4dr 16,450 miles

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Ok Guys and Gals,
I am fed up, I rolled out to my truck June 9th, and battery was dead as a hammer. (I had to scramble because I was headed to the doctor, so had to arrange another ride, and dealt with it when I got back.) This is easily the 6th to 8th time this has happened since the day I drove it off the lot in August 2020, I have 16,450 miles on it (yeah, I am pretty mad). Called road service (their on-line site didn't open on my 'iphone 8' so had to keep calling back until I reached a representative (yep, mad again). Got the jump start request in, the road service guy (pop a lock) came by in under 30 minutes we threw a jump box on it (battery rdg. 12.2 v to 12.4v), and tried to start engine. Cranked engine over for several seconds - nothing, let it rest, tried again, nothing, let is rest a third time - nothing - like someone had pull my coil wire. Tech wiggled connections fussed with his jump box and tried 4 th time, SUCCESS!, but gasoline engine sounds like no oil in top end (valve clatter) or bottom end (hard knocking), Jump Box reading 13.8 v. I thank the guy and head for the dealership 2 miles down the road. No Sirius XFM, the icon is gone! nowhere to be found, no back up camera, no back-up camera icon, no forward camera, phone functions not working - not even an icon, AC not working during first 1/2 mile, radio flaky - few to no AM/FM stations drivers seat fan indicator 'on', missing accessory function icons, and/or text missing from second level control screen of an icon. Make the dealership w/o issue (engine didn't die), Sirius Icon back and works, both cameras functional again, left truck idling found service writer, waited my turn, and 30+ minutes later, had a young customer service tech checking: battery load test (good), e-torque output charge level at battery (good), ODCB codes (none), back up camera working again. 'Well Mr. Leach, we can't find anything wrong' (same story different dealer, 6th or 7th time I've heard it) You are all set to go'. Hopped in my truck, fired it up - no Sirius XFM, no back up camera no icon, missing accessory icons, etc. I got the service tech back over, he is puzzled, said he just used the back up camera, he got the service writer, we spent 20 minutes trying to reboot radio - nothing, tried various other things, nothing. disconnected battery, touched leads to ground, reconnected - nothing. Service writer calls my truck, nothing, said he would make a Star ticket, make an appointment with a lead tech, I should drive truck as normal, and he will call me back. A week goes by, I start and drive truck several times all OK. Note: after the dealership visit I put in a call to Sirius -they pinged my truck Sirius Icon comes back, camera functions come back, accessory icons all come back, along with each second page function commands, all came back and stayed. After a week, with no call from my service writer, I call him. He no longer works at the dealership, his service manager chewed his a$$ out for spending so much time with me (15 minutes+/-) .. and a few other customers, plus they were going to make him work a month for free, before he got his first check, after working the next month too. I thank him for his time and I wait to hear from dealership's service manager about my Star ticket, and appointment with a lead tech, nothing. Slow roll to June 21st, I roll out to the truck to go to the doctor again, yep dead battery, so I call the dealership first this time. 'Hey this is the cripple guy that was there June 9th with the dead battery that Dale worked with, I got a dead battery again" New service writer Preston; 'Dale doesn't work here anymore' 'Ok', I said. Preston; 'We can send a tow truck or you can call road service and bring it over here, we will get to it when we can'. me; "What happened to my appointment Dale was scheduling?' Preston; 'Dale made a lot of promises to customers, we can work on your truck when we get to it' me: "what happened to the Service manager asking Dale what he was working on, what his tickets were before he left so his customers were not left hanging?" Preston, silence; 'Dale made a lot of promises, we will work on your truck when we can, we are covered up with work, that's the best I can do' me; 'So, the service manager didn't do his job, and because I didn't buy the truck from y'all, I go to the end of the line again for another week or more. You don't want to be my dealership do you' Preston: 'I don't care if you bought the truck here or not, we will work on it when we can, If you don't want to wait, there is another dealership 24 miles away in Navasota I can get you their number' me; 'Don't bother Preston, I can get it off the internet, just like I got this one. I'll call you back if I need to leave my truck for a week or two until you guys can get around to it''. I called the dealership in Navasota, explained the on going battery issues, service writer immediately asked if I could bring it on Thursday morning and leave it for 4 hours (this is Tuesday remember), I told him I had a doctor appointment that day, we scheduled Monday morning, and I can stay, if we need to order parts we will do what it takes ( what was I gonna do, roll back home 24 miles). So I went to NAPA and bought a 1000 amp Vector mini jump box for $100, something I should have done the first time. I got two questions, at the first dealer, someone said the 45 volt e-torque battery will back feed the 12 volt, making the 12v read good when it is not. Also, the second dealership said 'it may be the auxiliary start/stop battery under the primary battery' Is he talking about the 45 v. e-torque battery? I thought that was behind the back seat? Hope ya'll enjoyed the story, yes, I have some custom handicap equipment that 'may' cause a parasitic draw (3/8" x3/4' LCD screen) but it is programed to shut down after a few minutes and will). Rant over, listening for suggestions, as a guy in a wheelchair 24/7 I gotta have a dependable vehicle, I traded off a Chevy that ran great and always started, but used a quart of oil in 1500 miles, cause I couldn't reach the dipstick, now I am beginning to think I just moved the dipstick to behind the steering wheel. John L.

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Ok Guys and Gals,
I am fed up, I rolled out to my truck June 9th, and battery was dead as a hammer. (I had to scramble because I was headed to the doctor, so had to arrange another ride, and dealt with it when I got back.) This is easily the 6th to 8th time this has happened since the day I drove it off the lot in August 2020, I have 16,450 miles on it (yeah, I am pretty mad). Called road service (their on-line site didn't open on my 'iphone 8' so had to keep calling back until I reached a representative (yep, mad again). Got the jump start request in, the road service guy (pop a lock) came by in under 30 minutes we threw a jump box on it (battery rdg. 12.2 v to 12.4v), and tried to start engine. Cranked engine over for several seconds - nothing, let it rest, tried again, nothing, let is rest a third time - nothing - like someone had pull my coil wire. Tech wiggled connections fussed with his jump box and tried 4 th time, SUCCESS!, but gasoline engine sounds like no oil in top end (valve clatter) or bottom end (hard knocking), Jump Box reading 13.8 v. I thank the guy and head for the dealership 2 miles down the road. No Sirius XFM, the icon is gone! nowhere to be found, no back up camera, no back-up camera icon, no forward camera, phone functions not working - not even an icon, AC not working during first 1/2 mile, radio flaky - few to no AM/FM stations drivers seat fan indicator 'on', missing accessory function icons, and/or text missing from second level control screen of an icon. Make the dealership w/o issue (engine didn't die), Sirius Icon back and works, both cameras functional again, left truck idling found service writer, waited my turn, and 30+ minutes later, had a young customer service tech checking: battery load test (good), e-torque output charge level at battery (good), ODCB codes (none), back up camera working again. 'Well Mr. Leach, we can't find anything wrong' (same story different dealer, 6th or 7th time I've heard it) You are all set to go'. Hopped in my truck, fired it up - no Sirius XFM, no back up camera no icon, missing accessory icons, etc. I got the service tech back over, he is puzzled, said he just used the back up camera, he got the service writer, we spent 20 minutes trying to reboot radio - nothing, tried various other things, nothing. disconnected battery, touched leads to ground, reconnected - nothing. Service writer calls my truck, nothing, said he would make a Star ticket, make an appointment with a lead tech, I should drive truck as normal, and he will call me back. A week goes by, I start and drive truck several times all OK. Note: after the dealership visit I put in a call to Sirius -they pinged my truck Sirius Icon comes back, camera functions come back, accessory icons all come back, along with each second page function commands, all came back and stayed. After a week, with no call from my service writer, I call him. He no longer works at the dealership, his service manager chewed his a$$ out for spending so much time with me (15 minutes+/-) .. and a few other customers, plus they were going to make him work a month for free, before he got his first check, after working the next month too. I thank him for his time and I wait to hear from dealership's service manager about my Star ticket, and appointment with a lead tech, nothing. Slow roll to June 21st, I roll out to the truck to go to the doctor again, yep dead battery, so I call the dealership first this time. 'Hey this is the cripple guy that was there June 9th with the dead battery that Dale worked with, I got a dead battery again" New service writer Preston; 'Dale doesn't work here anymore' 'Ok', I said. Preston; 'We can send a tow truck or you can call road service and bring it over here, we will get to it when we can'. me; "What happened to my appointment Dale was scheduling?' Preston; 'Dale made a lot of promises to customers, we can work on your truck when we get to it' me: "what happened to the Service manager asking Dale what he was working on, what his tickets were before he left so his customers were not left hanging?" Preston, silence; 'Dale made a lot of promises, we will work on your truck when we can, we are covered up with work, that's the best I can do' me; 'So, the service manager didn't do his job, and because I didn't buy the truck from y'all, I go to the end of the line again for another week or more. You don't want to be my dealership do you' Preston: 'I don't care if you bought the truck here or not, we will work on it when we can, If you don't want to wait, there is another dealership 24 miles away in Navasota I can get you their number' me; 'Don't bother Preston, I can get it off the internet, just like I got this one. I'll call you back if I need to leave my truck for a week or two until you guys can get around to it''. I called the dealership in Navasota, explained the on going battery issues, service writer immediately asked if I could bring it on Thursday morning and leave it for 4 hours (this is Tuesday remember), I told him I had a doctor appointment that day, we scheduled Monday morning, and I can stay, if we need to order parts we will do what it takes ( what was I gonna do, roll back home 24 miles). So I went to NAPA and bought a 1000 amp Vector mini jump box for $100, something I should have done the first time. I got two questions, at the first dealer, someone said the 45 volt e-torque battery will back feed the 12 volt, making the 12v read good when it is not. Also, the second dealership said 'it may be the auxiliary start/stop battery under the primary battery' Is he talking about the 45 v. e-torque battery? I thought that was behind the back seat? Hope ya'll enjoyed the story, yes, I have some custom handicap equipment that 'may' cause a parasitic draw (3/8" x3/4' LCD screen) but it is programed to shut down after a few minutes and will). Rant over, listening for suggestions, as a guy in a wheelchair 24/7 I gotta have a dependable vehicle, I traded off a Chevy that ran great and always started, but used a quart of oil in 1500 miles, cause I couldn't reach the dipstick, now I am beginning to think I just moved the dipstick to behind the steering wheel. John L.
Update 2/27/22
"We tested the battery, (after we "hot" charged it for an hour because the voltage as low) and the CCA were 730 - so it checks out good. Few people realize it takes 20 minutes of engine run time, to recharge the power used during an engine start process. If it happens again bring it back. You still have 18 months and over 19K miles left on your warranty." yeah right..... Thanks for dealer 'run around' number 10 from dealer number 3.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Minnie Pearl said : I traded off a Chevy that ran great and always started, but used a quart of oil in 1500 miles, cause I couldn't reach the dipstick, now I am beginning to think I just moved the dipstick to behind the steering wheel.

. . . . . now I am beginning to think I just moved the dipstick to behind the steering wheel. - Sorry to laugh at your plight but that is the best line EVER.

U

User_3336

Minnie Pearl, I couldn't even attempt to read that post without any spacing...... My eyes hurt. ****!

P.S. Did you call yourself a dipstick? LOL

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Just go buy a new battery.
Well, I can, & I probably should, just to end the frustration, BUT, dang it Cbty2050, the battery died the first week I had the truck, and 6 - 8 times in the next 10 months, and it is NOT my handicap equipment (cause I swapped it out for another one & the same issues returned). So I think now, it has become a matter of principle, & the fact they done pissed me off. Besides, I wanna hear what other excuses they got (I was a service tech for GoodYear going to college, & a shade tree mechanic for 30+ years) plus, I've got 18 months and 19.600 miles left on my Bumper to Bumper warranty. In all my years, I've NEVER known an OEM battery to make it past 3 yrs (the build date on my truck was July 2019, so I'm down to a matter of 'days') and in two to three months the cold fronts will arrive (and they always kill a weak battery in Texas). Besides, I'm a 68 year old retired guy who has nothing better to do than give FCA, and the dealerships grief for not taking care of this issue right the first time. I figure all together they have all spent well more than 3x the cost of a new battery. I still value your good advice.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your truck was built in July of 2019, your bumper to bumper warranty is up in July of 2022. 3 years 36,000 mile warranty from the factory.

You are almost a pro since you worked at a goodyear 35ish years ago and changed your brake pads under the oak tree. I'm confused that by all this experience you have NEVER seen an oem battery last more than 3 years. FYI I replaced a battery in a 2014 Town and Country today that was original.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Batteries are known to have temporary failures, for example, a cell can reverse polarity causing a self-discharge.

paragraph
păr′ə-grăf″

noun

1. A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If your truck was built in July of 2019, your bumper to bumper warranty is up in July of 2022. 3 years 36,000 mile warranty from the factory.

You are almost a pro since you worked at a goodyear 35ish years ago and changed your brake pads under the oak tree. I'm confused that by all this experience you have NEVER seen an oem battery last more than 3 years. FYI I replaced a battery in a 2014 Town and Country today that was original.
I believe my 1985 Toyota Corolla's battery lasted 11 yrs. It was a "check and fill", used distilled water. The Corolla is currently being restored by a friend of my mechanic, not sure of his intent.
1656761994331.png
The liftback version is the desired model and is used for drifting.

Users who are viewing this thread