5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommended oil

Gregg72

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Big horn new body style. Would like to hear Input on type of oil and brand any use. The local Dodge house brand is Pennzoil. Any thoughts??

BigD

Reaction score
I bring it to the Ram dealer 2x a year & have them change it. There's a record of me getting it changed if any warranty issues should arise in the future. People WAY overthink this whole oil change stuff !

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You certainly can't go wrong with having the dealership change your oil. Having said that, dealership service centers can and do make mistakes. They are trying to get vehicles in and out quickly. That can lead to mistakes. I've read too many reports of dealerships over or under filling the oil to trust them. So I change my own oil and filter two times a year. Once in March and once in September. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum synthetic 5w-20 oil and NAPA Platinum oil filters. If you really want the dealership to do the work you can always provide the oil and filter of your choice and have the dealership change them. That way you're providing them with the correct amount of oil, which will theoretically ensure they use the correct amount. The last time I had a dealership do that they forgot to use my oil and filter. It was still sitting on the floor when I picked up the truck. At least they added the right amount of their bulk oil LOL. Now I do it myself.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nothing but redline 5w-20 or 5w-30 for me.

These hemis have lifter issues, the high moly content in Redline helps/eliminates it in many user reports. It's not chrylser certified for use in the 5.7 though, so be warned if you're worried about factory warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread