5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommendations for air bag helper springs for rear?

t76turbo

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie with all coil spring suspension. No air bags from factory.

I loaded my truck down with mulch maybe a month ago and it really sagged the truck. I would like to add some helper bags or something to assist when/if I tow or load the bed down occasionally. Apparently I dont know what to search for because I only got a single result back and it was for an install question. So if you know of any threads discussing options please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

PS I have had manual fill bags in the past that were installed inside the coil springs. I dont mind going that way now. But wouldnt mind something more modern with an onboard pump etc. Im not tied to any particular solution though so recommend anything you think works best.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie with all coil spring suspension. No air bags from factory.

I loaded my truck down with mulch maybe a month ago and it really sagged the truck. I would like to add some helper bags or something to assist when/if I tow or load the bed down occasionally. Apparently I dont know what to search for because I only got a single result back and it was for an install question. So if you know of any threads discussing options please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

PS I have had manual fill bags in the past that were installed inside the coil springs. I dont mind going that way now. But wouldnt mind something more modern with an onboard pump etc. Im not tied to any particular solution though so recommend anything you think works best.
Search for airlift 1000HD online, you can also get the compressor with controls.

Attachments

• 27DD9B13-AACC-4AAB-ABBB-0933569A16E0.png
    27DD9B13-AACC-4AAB-ABBB-0933569A16E0.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 33

Bigbags85

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

I just installed the 1000HD last weekend. I did not opt for the onboard compressor just drilled holes near the license plate and ran two ports out the back. I carry a small compressor in the rambox that I just connect to the battery. I might end up hardwiring it in later idk. Others have mounted compressors in the rear floor bins.

t76turbo

Reaction score
Thanks both of you.

So with the bags that go inside the coil springs..... Do you have to pump them up BEFORE loading the bed or trailer or will it correct a sagging issue once it has happened? It almost seems that the bags inside the coils put pressure on the inside of the coil springs to stop them from sagging in the first place versus lifting the rear of the truck once loaded.

I had the manual bags on a tahoe I lowered. I never loaded it so I dont know how it would have behaved. I just kept a small amount of air in them to account for passengers in the rear seats.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Thanks both of you.

So with the bags that go inside the coil springs..... Do you have to pump them up BEFORE loading the bed or trailer or will it correct a sagging issue once it has happened? It almost seems that the bags inside the coils put pressure on the inside of the coil springs to stop them from sagging in the first place versus lifting the rear of the truck once loaded.

I had the manual bags on a tahoe I lowered. I never loaded it so I dont know how it would have behaved. I just kept a small amount of air in them to account for passengers in the rear seats.
You can load before or after.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
You’re welcome, I bought a Ridgid battery operated air compressor, it has an automatic stop option once you have reached the set pressure.
That looks pretty nice, I have a couple Rigid things they seem to work well.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I also have the Airlift 1000HD and wish I hade gone with the Timber Grove in the first place. IME the 1000HD just don't help as much as I expected/want them to. They do help, but the Timber Grove are a MUCH more comprehensive solution, relatively easy install, and much higher quality.

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
Timber Grove

I went with the Timber Grove ones as well. Overall been pretty happy. Camper is not nearly has tung heavy as expected so I honestly don't use them much. Only about 20lbs of air to get it back level with the weight distro hitch. That said, I went tent camping with a group of friends last weekend and we loaded the truck down pretty good. Threw a little air in the bags to help with sag and bounce. Truck road like a dream. I also went for the manual pump method. I was going to do onboard, but I couldn't find one that would also air up tires. Rather just buy an external one I can use for both.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Airlift 1000's and think I would have been happier with Timber Grove. I haven't tried to air up after loading, but I'm not optimistic about it working. I've heard some say it will work and others have said it doesn't. I don't have a big/heavy trailer, and the 1000's seem to do ok. Doesn't help with sag as much as I had hoped. I had firestones on a Nissan previously and loved the setup.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 1000’s as well and have not been too impressed. Been seriously considering the short Timber Groves to lower my truck, but keep the towing capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread