5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommendations: External add-on lights

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I am looking for some recommendations for add-on external lights, perhaps from folks who use their trucks for hunting as well. I do a lot of hunting where I often find myself at a pitch black sand boat ramp, or in the middle of the woods, or even at the beach.

The first logical one is chase lights. Backing a boat up at a pitch black ramp, I can basically see the boat/trailer, and that's about it. Whatever I get from the reverse lights is all I have and it's pretty much pitch black anywhere beyond the rig, in the backup camera. I was thinking maybe chase lights up high on the front corners of the bed and then some on the bumper?

I suppose a light bar for the front bumper might be a good add-on as well?

Looking for some functional recommendations, that don't break the bank, from folks who find themselves in the same situation. Trying to keep it to a max of a small three switch panel.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well first off, you want something that lasts or you want something that you will need to troubleshoot in the future?
If it's the former, you can't go wrong with Baja Designs and Switch Pros 9100 Combo. Yes they are expensive but they are guaranteed to last through all kinds of stuff you put them through.
If it's the latter, go with those Amazon China lights and switches. Just know that if you go down that route you will need to fix/ replace in the future. I got no recommendation for the latter one, since I practice "buy once cry once" and "do it right, do it once"

Now, for reverse, go with these:

For front, instead of behind the bumper, go with these:
gives you the throw distance and wide angle.

Why Baja Designs?
Because they are the only company that teaches you what "light zones" are and develop products that put lights in those zones.
Also because their products are race proven and used on podium winning trucks. If those lights can handle the harshness of Baja 1000 and other races, they can handle whatever you throw at them. BD is a US company and made many of their products in house, whereas others are mostly made elsewhere.

Switch Pros:
8 slot switch systems that allow you to expand in the future. Switch Pros 9100 features dimming, strobing, flashing, and even battery operated function, whereas other Chinese panels do not have those. 9100 is also compatible with bluetooth, and is weatherproof.
Switch Pros products are also race proven and used on podium winning trucks. Switch Pros 9100 is 100% made in USA.

Mount:
Use this to mount the control panel in the engine bay.
Optional mount to mount the controller inside your sunglass box.

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Baja Desings is great and if I would wheel my truck every weekend like boogilander then I would definitely invest in them... that being said, some of us barely use our lights and some lesser brands work great too lol

I have a 40 inch rough country light bar integrated into my ADD front bumper, works great and has a nice "running lights" light up option. It more of a flood light and lights up the road very well for low/medium speeds. If you're going to be doing some highway speeds then I would recommend staying away from flood lights and using more spot lights. Refer to the "zone area" that boogie lander shared.

I also have 3" Lasfit pods as "ditch lights" with the lasfit bracket on my hood. Again, flood pattern. They are not the pro model and light up pretty good for my needs/wants. I also like the brackets because I did not have to cut into any plastic. I did have an issue with one of my lights, one of the led's went out and they quickly replaced it after I sent them an email. No questions asked, I had a new light in 2 days and no need to send the old one back.

I also have SS2 Diode Dynamics chase lights mounted by the cab, also flood pattern. These could use a little more output but they are pretty small and I also got them because of their backlit feature (still gotta find time to wire that up). I used some brackets from Aegis Offroad because my bed cover is still fully functional and I liked the design to them. These provide good light to the sides but as far as immediate backup light, they aren't great for that. The bed blocks alot of that light output.

Lastly, for my controller, I have the Auxbeam 8-gang RGB controller. I love it, I can set my lights to strobe, momentary switch or on/off and I can also set the background color to the switch panel via an app. Also, makes wiring future lights alot easier.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I always love to save money and troubleshoot a little but I would second to not go the route of buying cheap China lights.
It's annoying how expensive the lights can be from real brands, but so isn't needing to reinstall them 2-3 times due to failures. I had an Opt7 light bar that was BLINKING white lights while I was driving, would of been a very expensive ticket from a cop but I found out when I remote started my truck and saw it from behind, like wtf.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always love to save money and troubleshoot a little but I would second to not go the route of buying cheap China lights.
It's annoying how expensive the lights can be from real brands, but so isn't needing to reinstall them 2-3 times due to failures. I had an Opt7 light bar that was BLINKING white lights while I was driving, would of been a very expensive ticket from a cop but I found out when I remote started my truck and saw it from behind, like wtf.
exactly. electricals are annoying to troubleshoot, especially if it's a whole kit of cheap china ones... could be harness, could be the lights, could be the switch, could be the relay, could be the wires no good.
get something from reputable sources with good warranty and aftersale support.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only thing I can add to this thread is I put a 22" Lasfit slim lightbar on my front bumper. It's sleek looking (IMO) and I have the relay tied into my high beam switch so no aux switches installed in the cab.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Me, I would rather have a few low wattage bulbs along and at the rear of the trailer then having 1m watts of illumination on my headache rack.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I appreciate the input. I am going to take some time and go through this. Definitely some sticker shock on those light prices. I definitely want to make sure I put something on that is quality for sure.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I appreciate the input. I am going to take some time and go through this. Definitely some sticker shock on those light prices. I definitely want to make sure I put something on that is quality for sure.
the BDs are for sure expensive but they are worth every penny; the performance and the quality are unmatched. If you can wait another 9 months you can wait for Baja Designs' Black Friday Sale.

DJI_0115.jpg
In this photo, 2 LP6s mounted to bumper, 2 XL Racers Edition on top of the hood (those are thin spot lights that are designed to go far), and 2 S2 Sports in the rear.
I have 2 more S2 that I am going to mount on the side to cover the side.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
I recommend going with Diode Dynamics. I run 2 6” amber lights in the grill of my ranch hand bumper along with a 30” combo light bar up front. Plenty of light! I also have 2 light pods from them in my rear bumper. I have my lights wired up to a 6-gang auxbeam controller that I mounted on the bottom of my center console.

Diode dynamics are great lights, at a fair price for what you’re getting.

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
I have a 30" Amazon light bar hidden in my front bumber.
I used a Shifts and Grins mount that locates the bar behind the center bumper grill.
5th Gen Ram 1500 30″ Light Bar Bracket Set (Behind Bumper Grill) 1 Pair – Shifts and Grins Fabrication
IMG_1948.jpeg
The bar is on a separate wiring harness, but the trigger to power the bar is my high beams switch.

On the back of my truck I wired in some extra light under the bumper.
The brackets are from Diode Dynamics
Stage Series Reverse Light Kit for 2019-2023 Ram 1500
IMG_1947.jpeg
For the wiring harness I also used Diode Dynamics. I liked this harness because it can be set to off, on, or triggered by the backup lights. I can turn the lights on for hooking up trailers and such at night while the truck is parked.
Reverse Light Wiring Kit (w/ running light)

For the switches I mounted them in the dash panel to the left of the steering wheel.
IMG_1949.jpeg

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I recommend going with Diode Dynamics. I run 2 6” amber lights in the grill of my ranch hand bumper along with a 30” combo light bar up front. Plenty of light! I also have 2 light pods from them in my rear bumper. I have my lights wired up to a 6-gang auxbeam controller that I mounted on the bottom of my center console.

Diode dynamics are great lights, at a fair price for what you’re getting.

I've been looking at them and the Oracle light bar for my front grill. What boogielander posted looks killer. But for the prices, it's a lot. I know he does a lot of serious offroad and overlanding. For me, it's more trying to make sure I can see around me at 4am at a desolate boat ramp in the middle of winter.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been looking at them and the Oracle light bar for my front grill. What boogielander posted looks killer. But for the prices, it's a lot. I know he does a lot of serious offroad and overlanding. For me, it's more trying to make sure I can see around me at 4am at a desolate boat ramp in the middle of winter.
for boat ramps only that's near field.
You can get away with just a pair of Squadron Sports or even S2s.
1709055265715.png
The amber in the rear is done with a pair of S2 sport.
1709055376432.png
The amber behind the truck in the middle is done with a pair of Diode Dynamic SSC1. To me, I'm a bigger fan of BD's amber color than Diode's. It's a lot more useful for driving BUT DD's amber is a lot more easy on the eye for camp use (look at how close the colors are between the amber behind the middle truck vs the two amber lights toward the bottom)

Lamont22

Reaction score
I’m pretty much in your exact situation. I do a lot of duck hunting, so dark boat ramps are the norm. The stock reverse lights prioritize the backup camera, which is useless to me when backing up a trailer in the dark.
I’ve been looking at the Diode Dynamics reverse light kit for the rear bumper. It’s pretty expensive, but seems like a clean solution. Let us know what you go with.

Users who are viewing this thread