5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommend best MP3 player for Uconnect

dannyjo

Reaction score
Anyone know what the upper limit is in terms of tracks on a USB stick, or in terms of USB size in gigabytes?

Also curious to confirm this behavior: On my Big Horn (2019 3500) there are two usb A and two usb c ports that are data enabled, near the driver's knee. My testing so far is inconclusive about how many can be used at once.

I know I cannot connect two phones next to one another (ie, one on USB c and one on USB A outlets that are next to each other) but I can connect two phones if I choose one outlet from the top pair and one connection from the bottom pair.

What I'm still trying to test and confirm is that that limitation exists for a USB thumb drive (ie, I cannot ALSO have a phone connected to the USB-C connection next to it). Is this what others are finding?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know what the upper limit is in terms of tracks on a USB stick, or in terms of USB size in gigabytes?
I think the limit for the media hub is the digital size of the stick (MB). I'm not sure what file formatting that the media hub is compatible with but FAT32 is a pretty universal file type that will work on just about anything. I know some people have had problems with larger drives (100+MB) but I don't remember exactly what size(s) they had a problem with.

I don't need a bazillion songs at my fingertips so went a smaller route. I went and bought a 16MB mini thumb drive with USB-A and USB-C connections and have no problems. It cost me about $15, I can put 2000+ songs on it, and it's short enough that it doesn't stick out very far so I can still put a phone in the holder in front of it.

Also curious to confirm this behavior: On my Big Horn (2019 3500) there are two usb A and two usb c ports that are data enabled, near the driver's knee. My testing so far is inconclusive about how many can be used at once.
The owner's manual tells you that you can use all of them but there's a caveat...only one can connect for data at a time on each "channel". The other connection will become charge only.

The owner's manual also says that you connect data on either connection for that "channel" (USB-A or USB-C connection) when you plug in but that if you plug into both on the same channel that the USB-C is the data connection and the USB-A is a charge-only port. I tried that on my truck and the data connection stayed with whichever one was plugged in first.

I know I cannot connect two phones next to one another (ie, one on USB c and one on USB A outlets that are next to each other) but I can connect two phones if I choose one outlet from the top pair and one connection from the bottom pair.
In addition to me having a 1500 and you having a 3500, I have the center console so don't know how much difference there is since I have 5 USB ports and 3 of them input into the media hub. Even then, I don't see why you can plug in two phones at the same time. My wife doesn't plug into the truck when we go places so I've never tested it out though.

What I'm still trying to test and confirm is that that limitation exists for a USB thumb drive (ie, I cannot ALSO have a phone connected to the USB-C connection next to it). Is this what others are finding?
Again, I have the center console with 3 of my 5 USB connections going into the media hub. Channels 1 and 2 for me are in the console/lower dash which I am assuming would be the same as the two you have in the dash.

I have my phone plugged into the driver's port via USB-C and my thumb drive in the passenger's port via USB-C and have no issues. I can play music from my thumb drive and run Apple CarPlay at the same time.

Last edited:

dannyjo

Reaction score
Thanks. Looks like I need to do some more testing. May be able to had the thumb drive and two phons connected if I pay attention to which combination of ports are used (and possibly in what order) based on what you describe.....but it's those nuances that have made my testing inconclusive so far.

Users who are viewing this thread