5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recirculation Venting Button Flashing

834k3r

Reaction score
I was stopped at a stop light this past weekend behind an older diesel truck that had bad exhaust fumes. I pushed the vent recirculation button and it flashed the yellow light a few times and refused to close the vents. Ambient air temperature was about 28F.

Has anyone else experienced this?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was stopped at a stop light this past weekend behind an older diesel truck that had bad exhaust fumes. I pushed the vent recirculation button and it flashed the yellow light a few times and refused to close the vents. Ambient air temperature was about 28F.

Has anyone else experienced this?
If you had it set to defrost, it might prevent recirculation from happening as it could cause windows to fog up.

834k3r

Reaction score
If you had it set to defrost, it might prevent recirculation from happening as it could cause windows to fog up.
I thought that might be the issue as well, but I've tried it a couple of times with the defrost off (climate control set to AUTO) with the same result.

I'm wondering if the vent close servo(s) went bad.

HazMatt

Reaction score
Had the exact same issue on my 2017. Turned out to be a bad cabin humidity sensor. Not sure where it is on the 5th Gen, but on my 2017 was mounted to the windshield behind the mirror, just to the passenger side.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I had this happen a few days ago as well when I was stuck in traffic behind a straight-piped diesel.

I’ve heard that some vehicles will automatically allow fresh air into the cabin on a cycle to maintain lower cabin co2/o2 levels; so i chalked it up to the fact that my truck was probably just on its cycle and wasn’t going to be agreeable until it was good and ready, regardless if I was pushing its buttons.

834k3r

Reaction score
Had the exact same issue on my 2017. Turned out to be a bad cabin humidity sensor. Not sure where it is on the 5th Gen, but on my 2017 was mounted to the windshield behind the mirror, just to the passenger side.

I had this happen a few days ago as well when I was stuck in traffic behind a straight-piped diesel.

I’ve heard that some vehicles will automatically allow fresh air into the cabin on a cycle to maintain lower cabin co2/o2 levels; so i chalked it up to the fact that my truck was probably just on its cycle and wasn’t going to be agreeable until it was good and ready, regardless if I was pushing its buttons.
These seem at least plausible. I'll keep an eye on it.

This morning, I tried hitting the recirc button in several different configurations: with auto on, with defrost on, turning defrost on when recirc is already on, etc.; in every attempt, the recirc button stayed on and solid. I'm going to continue to watch this, especially since my OEM warranty is at 33 months.

HazMatt

Reaction score
My issue started intermittently as well, eventually got to the point where it was 100% occurrence. Also, only time it was an issue after failure was when the climate control was set to Auto. If I turned off Auto, Recirc would work just fine.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
From the owners manual:

"In cold weather, use of Recirculation mode may lead to excessive window fogging. The recirculation feature may be unavailable if conditions exist that could create fogging on the inside of the windshield."

834k3r

Reaction score
From the owners manual:

"In cold weather, use of Recirculation mode may lead to excessive window fogging. The recirculation feature may be unavailable if conditions exist that could create fogging on the inside of the windshield."
How did I miss that when I looked through the manual?

In the paragraph above that one, it says this: "Recirculation may be unavailable (button on the touchscreen greyed out) if conditions exist that could create fogging on the inside of the windshield." (emphasis added)

I'll have to check to see if the touchscreen recirc button is greyed out--the owner's manual doesn't say anything about the faceplate button flashing.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These seem at least plausible. I'll keep an eye on it.

This morning, I tried hitting the recirc button in several different configurations: with auto on, with defrost on, turning defrost on when recirc is already on, etc.; in every attempt, the recirc button stayed on and solid. I'm going to continue to watch this, especially since my OEM warranty is at 33 months.

Don't watch it: report it to the dealer and get an invoice, in writing, stating your concern about the recirc fan.

If you do this, it'll function normally. If you don't, it will fail in 91 days, just after the warranty expires. ;)

Seriously, if it didn't work when/how you wanted, let them run a diagnostic.

834k3r

Reaction score
Just to provide an update, yesterday I took the truck in to the local dealer for service. I had the lift gate latch alignment recall performed, had them check what I thought was the beginning of an exhaust leak, and the flashing recirc button. They couldn't replicate the flashing recirc, but they recalibrated the louver motors.

On the exhaust leak, I'm glad I was paranoid. They pulled the head shield and they saw the beginnings of cracks. I now have an appointment for next week for the exhaust manifold work our trucks are notorious for needing.

Users who are viewing this thread