5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel wobbling / shaking at, ~9 mph, ~27 mph and ~52-54 mph (perhaps other times, as well)

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
All,

I know there is a decently long thread in the main forum concerning shakes / wobbles, but I didn't see many Rebel owners in there, so I wanted to ask if any of you have experienced the same thing.

My Ram has a decidedly obvious shake issue at the speeds listed above. I believe it also kicks in again in the 75 mph range, but I have to do more testing to be certain. Now, a few things:

I just bought it on Saturday, 08/01/2020. I only have 129 miles on it so far. I completely understand that it might still be breaking in / settling down, but all the reading I've done doesn't give me much hope.
Second, when I bought it, the tires were all at around 60-63 psi. I, of course, let some air out once I got home, but that hasn't resolved the issue at all, though one could say it has helped very minimally. Sometimes, when merging onto the freeway on a curved ramp for instance, it almost feels like the rear end skips over a bit. It feels "squirrely," for a lack of a better term.

So, has anyone else here had any issues like this with their Rebels, specifically? It is a 2020, 4x4, Hemi 5.7L with Etorque. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Kooch80

Reaction score
2019 Rebel with almost 10,000 miles. no wobble. had what i describe as a loose feeling when i first got it because of overinflated tires. fixed once i aired them down.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Off the top of my head they should be at 55PSI in front, 45PSI in back, cold pressure

Honestly that sounds a lot like when I had to get a set of BFGoodrich KO2s roadforce balanced.
They were out of balance and they road like **** at first. Once breaking in they were awesome and perhaps my favorite tire.

But out of balance? Exactly what you'd described. The shakes, particularly in certain speed-bands.
There's a chance it threw a wheel weight

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
Off the top of my head they should be at 55PSI in front, 45PSI in back, cold pressure

Honestly that sounds a lot like when I had to get a set of BFGoodrich KO2s roadforce balanced.
They were out of balance and they road like **** at first. Once breaking in they were awesome and perhaps my favorite tire.

But out of balance? Exactly what you'd described. The shakes, particularly in certain speed-bands.
There's a chance it threw a wheel weight
That is very comforting to read, given all the crap I've seen people go through on these and other forums. I assume my dealer should be able to do that at no cost, yeah?

Also, it's hitting 95-100 degrees (F) out here where I'm at. What should I be aiming for PSI-wise? It doesn't really get "cold" at night around here, but will hit mid to low 70s on a good day. Should I just get them to 45/55 first thing in the morning?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good question, so as you're driving, the PSI will go up - the inflation tables on the inside (driver) door are for COLD pressure. When it's been sitting for ~2hours, preferably not in the sun. If the sun's on one side but not the other? It can effect things. You can set them right, then after driving, one side is higher than the other now that the temperature is even.

I would set it to 55/45s when it's at the low 70s. Then take a look at the temperature one day when you've been driving for a bit, and it's hot. 59PSI when it's driving, I wouldn't freak out. If It's consistently 63 when you're driving when it's hot? I'd let out enough to put it at 59 in that condition. Then see what you get when it's cold.

So off the top of my head, I think the dealership might relax and exhale if the "thrown tire weight" fixes everything. It's a cheap fix, low downtime, happy customer. IIRC the bumper to bumper warranty is 36,000 miles, they should fix it. "Overinflated tire/not balanced right" can cause a lot of weird things. On another vehicle I had 1 front tire at 51PSI, the right one was around 42. When going over bumps, that left one would practically launch, then it would swim as the suspension rights itself after the uneven pressure from either side.

I also wonder if there's an issue with the swaybar, how it's setup?
Either way I'd try the dealership. The "wobble at certain speed bands" is sometimes classic for the tire out of balance. It might even be just one rear tire.

Go there and tell them they're the best dealership that ever did dealership, and to please help. They'll probably bend over backwards to fix it.
I have a rebel that was made in November 2018, and it's been trouble free and I love it, I have no intention of ever selling it. These trucks are machines and unless there's electric gremlins or a terrible design flaw, a lot of times these things can be fixed!

Users who are viewing this thread