5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel Wheel Swap Info (Weights included)

TacticalCucumber

Reaction score
Hey all, as I was doing research for which tires to go with (as many are), I know unsprung weight calculations are important to some of you for gas mileage purposes.

Rebel 18" Wheel Weight: 26.7lbs
Falken Wildpeak A/T3WA 275/55/20 Weight: 45.3lbs
Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/18 Weight: 61lbs

New Rebel Wheel/Tire Combo Weight: 88lbs

Stock 20" Laramie Longhorn Wheel/Tire Combo Weight: 81.6lbs (confirmed)

Stock 20" Laramie Longhorn wheels: 36.3lbs

Unsprung weight increase per corner: 6.4lbs

I decided on Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/18 with the stock Rebel wheels for a few reasons. Yes I could have gone bigger since I've got a leveling kit and suspension links on my Laramie Longhorn w/ air suspension. As the 285/70 is 33.7" in diameter, there was still room to grow as many have done 35s such as 35x12.50.

Here's why I didn't do that: the Ridge Grapplers in 285/70 are rated at 59lbs from the factory. They turned out to be 61lbs on average between the four of them, but when you add on the stock Rebel wheel, which averaged 26.7lbs, That brings you to 88lbs. The 285/70/18 has an 8" sidewall, which much more than the stock 20s, but not enough to make it mushy or look stupid.

(I haven't weighed the stock 20s and 275/55/20 combo yet, but will when I get them installed. Based on the calculations I can do from Falken's website on the OEM Wildpeak tires, it appears that the stock wheel/tire combo is somewhere between 78-82lbs.). I was damn close at 81.6lbs!

This swap would therefore net a 6-10lb unsprung weight increase per wheel. Going any bigger than 285/70 meant another 9lb increase in tire weight for the Ridge Grapplers, and the BFGs in a comparable size to what I have were right at 69lbs, as well...so your net unsprung weight increase would double for another 10mm in width or height. Not worth the gas mileage loss.

This wheel/tire combo seems to increase the unsprung weight by the least amount possible (I looked at Cooper, BFG, Nitto, Toyo, MT, etc.), so it won't murder your gas mileage (for those who have EcoDiesels like me and care about that). An 8lb increase per corner will decrease gas mileage, but not by much as it is just about 10% increase in mass over stock. I am currently averaging 24.7 by the truck's estimate - accuracy of this aside - so I'll see what my net decrease is by the truck's computer and report back.

I will post later with pictures for install and fitment to show what (if any) rubbing or trimming/heating I have to do for those that are interested in this, as well. Hopefully someone else that is weighing their options (literally) can benefit from this info. Yes it is out there in other forums/threads, but not consolidated for those of us that have the "how big can I go" question as we consider the Rebel wheel swap.

Last edited:

TacticalCucumber

Reaction score
Confirmed weights this morning. Will post before/after pics after install this morning, as well as caliper fitment and suspension clearances when I get it done.

TacticalCucumber

Reaction score
Ok so here are the results. I have a leveling kit and links, but I did not put it on yet. This is a 2020 Longhorn with air, and I have NO RUBBING at any height (even entry/exit), full lock both sides both ways. No cutting. They fit perfectly.

Decibel meter @ 45 and @ 75 were actually no different. Averaged 61-63db for both. Ride quality has not changed whatsoever, and I think the truck, because of the stiffer sidewalls, actually handles better than with the Falkens.

The only marginal clearance was on the calipers, which is well documented here. I had roughly 6mm between the calipers and the wheel so really no clearance issues there.

Clearance to the upper control arms, though I didn't measure it, is roughly the same, and almost indistinguishable as seen in the photo.

Before-After Suspension.jpg

I apologize as the comparison photo for post-install is in entry/exit mode, not normal as the before photo was taken. However, this should be a good indicator for those that are worried that on stock suspension you can fit these tires with NO modification whatsoever. All in all I am VERY satisfied with the tires, and can't wait to take them off-road! Hopefully this helps someone.

Truck Before-After.jpg

Alex5737

Reaction score
So I did the same swap for Rebel wheels and I'm considering 285/70r18 Falkens.... that being said I had same weight concerns. I have a question for u. Did u notice a significant breaking loss? I did and I'm wondering if its because of the 18" wheel or the bigger tire.

Attachments

• 20201130_141056.jpg
    20201130_141056.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 154

jjhall8

Reaction score
So I did the same swap for Rebel wheels and I'm considering 285/70r18 Falkens.... that being said I had same weight concerns. I have a question for u. Did u notice a significant breaking loss? I did and I'm wondering if its because of the 18" wheel or the bigger tire.
Falken does not make a tire that size

judsonlimited

Reaction score
I have the nitto ridge grapplers (285/70r18) now 60 lb up from the stock 44lb falkens. The ride was a lot smoother after the upgrade and honestly not a very noticeable difference in drivability. 295/70r18 falkens are going on this week to replace these nittos so plus 9# I’m not really worried about. I still average mid 16s mpg wise combined, 18-19 highway. 3.21 gears.
532b8c4f93df866e9ff02d0bdc7af5b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4MO

Reaction score
I have the nitto ridge grapplers (285/70r18) now 60 lb up from the stock 44lb falkens. The ride was a lot smoother after the upgrade and honestly not a very noticeable difference in drivability. 295/70r18 falkens are going on this week to replace these nittos so plus 9# I’m not really worried about. I still average mid 16s mpg wise combined, 18-19 highway. 3.21 gears.
532b8c4f93df866e9ff02d0bdc7af5b3.jpg

Please post pictures once the 295/70r18 Wildpeaks are installed as I am looking at pulling the trigger on those to replace my stock size Wildpeaks and wondering how they will look. Deciding between going up one size from stock to 275/70 or next available in Wildpeaks at 295/70. Also wanted to to check if you have your truck leveled, or just stock with ORP.

4MO

Reaction score
Here you go. I have ORP with bilsteins on notch 5.

20ef75717c09ac7e04be065010f74efa.jpg

Thank you for posting and great looking truck. I will probably go with same tires as I really liked my current set, but definitely need to go up in size from stock as they look ridiculously small for these trucks. Other than ORP mine is stock so hopefully they clear, but if not there may be some bilsteins in my future as well.

judsonlimited

Reaction score
Thank you for posting and great looking truck. I will probably go with same tires as I really liked my current set, but definitely need to go up in size from stock as they look ridiculously small for these trucks. Other than ORP mine is stock so hopefully they clear, but if not there may be some bilsteins in my future as well.

Mine clear with plenty of room to spare. You may have to do some minor wheel liner trimming if you don't level.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Setting 5 as well. Still have the stock Duratracs, considering going KO2’s (purely aesthetics and road noise being a close second).

Curious what you guys are getting for gas mileage? Sporting the 3.92 I’m under 13 with the bigger/heavier tire and level. If I run more real highway miles I reach the 16’s. Just curious, not trying to make this an mpg debate lol

d0b1befab19a0e3532c7efb36506dd6c.jpg

4MO

Reaction score
Mine clear with plenty of room to spare. You may have to do some minor wheel liner trimming if you don't level.

Thanks again for the information and now have the Falkens in the 295/70 18 ordered from 4wp since they have free install with purchase of 4 tires going on right now. However, I wanted to hit you up for additional information and see if you only installed Bilsteins on the front, or both front and back. Not planning to go there yet but I prefer that thought to the normal level blocks/pucks or whatever you want to call them should I have issues with tires rubbing.

judsonlimited

Reaction score
Thanks again for the information and now have the Falkens in the 295/70 18 ordered from 4wp since they have free install with purchase of 4 tires going on right now. However, I wanted to hit you up for additional information and see if you only installed Bilsteins on the front, or both front and back. Not planning to go there yet but I prefer that thought to the normal level blocks/pucks or whatever you want to call them should I have issues with tires rubbing.

I had a top hat spacer on the strut before I switched to 5100s. I have 5160s on the back but no rear lift. I switched to the bilsteins because the spacer caused too much down travel on the factory strut and caused it to leak.

judsonlimited

Reaction score
Setting 5 as well. Still have the stock Duratracs, considering going KO2’s (purely aesthetics and road noise being a close second).

Curious what you guys are getting for gas mileage? Sporting the 3.92 I’m under 13 with the bigger/heavier tire and level. If I run more real highway miles I reach the 16’s. Just curious, not trying to make this an mpg debate lol

d0b1befab19a0e3532c7efb36506dd6c.jpg

I live in the city so I range from 15-18 mpg combined with the 285 tires. Only been a week since I moved up to the 295 tires and haven’t noticed much difference mpg wise. Biggest change was the transmission shifting points. I have 3.21 gears

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in the city so I range from 15-18 mpg combined with the 285 tires. Only been a week since I moved up to the 295 tires and haven’t noticed much difference mpg wise. Biggest change was the transmission shifting points. I have 3.21 gears

Those gears make such a big difference it seems. It certainly doesn’t make me not love my truck lol but I do wonder if I would have looked for 3.21’s knowing what I know now

judsonlimited

Reaction score
Those gears make such a big difference it seems. It certainly doesn’t make me not love my truck lol but I do wonder if I would have looked for 3.21’s knowing what I know now

Want to swap? haha
I want the 3.92 gears. One of the things i wish i had gotten

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Want to swap? haha
I want the 3.92 gears. One of the things i wish i had gotten

I’d really like to drive them both side by side to see the difference. Funny what you read here...some see no difference some completely see a difference. And the MPG thing I would never have known about had I not deep dived this place

RAM_Davis

Reaction score
This is old, but I'm looking at some of the same things to do to my truck. I have a 2020 Longhorn with stock and the opportunity to get Rebel wheels and tire set up for cheap, maybe even free. What I don't have is ORP. How do they achieve ORP with air? I haven't leveled mine yet, but would look to do so. Did OP use daystar spacers too or just the links? Thanks.

TacticalCucumber

Reaction score
This is old, but I'm looking at some of the same things to do to my truck. I have a 2020 Longhorn with stock and the opportunity to get Rebel wheels and tire set up for cheap, maybe even free. What I don't have is ORP. How do they achieve ORP with air? I haven't leveled mine yet, but would look to do so. Did OP use daystar spacers too or just the links? Thanks.
Hey fortunately I'm still on here and active! I am not entirely sure what FCA does to achieve the ORP with air, but was told it is 1.5in taller than a stock, non-ORP.

I did not use spacers. In fact, I don't even know wtf my lying *** meant about the leveling kit, because I definitely didn't have one 🤣. Full disclosure part of my brain is dead... so it is possible I either believed I had one then or forgot now... but I'm 100% certain the only thing I had was links. And after 30 days I took them off (they're now for sale btw) because I didn't like how horribly bouncy the Off Road settings of the air suspension were.

All that to say - I did those 285/70s on stock ORP air with no rubbing unless at full lock left while in Entry/Exit. I think you'll be perfectly fine with your setup. Get the rebel wheels and don't look back!

I'd have kept mine if they'd fit on the 2500....

Users who are viewing this thread