5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel w etorque MPG...What should be expected

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My first tank (probably 87 from dealer) was about 13 mpg. However this was a lot of stop and go, some breaking in stuff here and there.

My 2nd tank, I'm using 91 octane (Costco only has 87 or 91), is currently at about 14 mpg mixed driving. I have hit about 17 mpg on pure freeway driving at 75 mph.

I don't have etorque and I live in San Diego, which means tons of rolling roads and freeways, not a lot of flat roads which means worse mpg. What you lose going uphill you don't gain back going downhill. Though from what I've read, etorque only really helps city mpg and not by much.

But you can't break physics here. You are driving a big heavy truck with 33" tires, 3.92 rear axle and higher ride height. You will not get good gas mileage without driving like a grandma who is trying to win a hypermiling contest in the slow lane and pissing everyone off behind you as you try to accelerate from the stop light as slow as possible. And by good mpg, I mean 17 - 19 range.

Forget that 22 mpg you saw on the window sticker, that's a blanket EPA rating for all 2019 Ram 1500s, probably with stock 18 street tires and 3.21 rear axle.

Last edited:

George

Reaction score
So I rented one last week, did some city driving and some hwy driving. Really nice truck and a lot of fun to be behind the wheel. The pros are a lot of fun, could be the quietest vehicle I have ever been in for road noise, don't even know the engine is running and a good list of other things as well. The cons are (for me) the hood is just too high, I like to see in front of my hood, it drives big, Rebel should be able to have all the options available, and a list of other things as well. Now to the OP and about MPG, anyone saying the can get high teens with this thing on a regular basis is BS, not in this unit. Don't try to impress folks that on on the line ready to buy, you are not telling the truth and you are not helping anyone. This thing is a beast and the engine is a glorious monster from the first push of the pedal to it hits the floor, makes me feel like I am eighteen again. You will never be happy with the MPG, you will have to get over that, sorry. If you are getting high teens you are being towed.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So I rented one last week, did some city driving and some hwy driving. Really nice truck and a lot of fun to be behind the wheel. The pros are a lot of fun, could be the quietest vehicle I have ever been in for road noise, don't even know the engine is running and a good list of other things as well. The cons are (for me) the hood is just too high, I like to see in front of my hood, it drives big, Rebel should be able to have all the options available, and a list of other things as well. Now to the OP and about MPG, anyone saying the can get high teens with this thing on a regular basis is BS, not in this unit. Don't try to impress folks that on on the line ready to buy, you are not telling the truth and you are not helping anyone. This thing is a beast and the engine is a glorious monster from the first push of the pedal to it hits the floor, makes me feel like I am eighteen again. You will never be happy with the MPG, you will have to get over that, sorry. If you are getting high teens you are being towed.

Lol, it will hit you in the face like a frying pan if you think the mpg on a Rebel will be anything but old school level truck low.

Now, I think with a flat road and an easy 70 mph, you can get 17+ mpg. I've done it, but mixed driving forget about it. I'm staring at 14 mpg with 89 octane for 70% highway / 30% city.

omorganu

Reaction score
Im at 1300 miles and sit between 16-17 mpg with 87 octane. I'm easy on the throttle though with a lot of highway driving.

omorganu

Reaction score
Yeah 3.92. I have a buddy with the same set up minus e-torque and can barely get above 14.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yeah 3.92. I have a buddy with the same set up minus e-torque and can barely get above 14.

That's good, I can get about 17 mpg myself without e-torque, but that's 90% highway only. The second I hit the city with mixed driving, I'm at about 14 mpg.

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
Same here getting a terrible 13-15 mpg max just below 3k miles. My 2016 ram 1500 without etorque was getting 18-19.

JD FOX

Reaction score
I have 6K miles. Run 89. City is 14.5 - 15. Highway is 16 - 17. I am all city driving for my commute though.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I have 6K miles. Run 89. City is 14.5 - 15. Highway is 16 - 17. I am all city driving for my commute though.

Just like me, if you are in California based on your photo, I suspect you have the same issue we all have and that's very few flat highways. Unlike Florida or Texas, we have a lot of elevation changes on our highways which also effects our mpg.

mac1983620

Reaction score
Are you in Southern California, judging by your profile name? Our gas is formulated differently here and I think that does contribute to lower mileage. Not sure how much lower though.
California produces it's own gas, made from Republicans and common sense, which is why there is a shortage of both there. Additionally, regular gas is known by the state of California to cause cancer.

Users who are viewing this thread