5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel vs. off road package

Utahjazzman

Reaction score
both come with factory 1” lift. Are there any other differences in height, other than tire size? I’m trying to decide between Laramie with off road and rebel. Does air ride change anything or make it any taller? I would order air ride either way.

I’ve read all posts I can find but want to make sure before I place order. Thanks in advance!

ppowell1983

Reaction score
There's several differences between a Laramie with ORP and a Ram Rebel.

1. The Rebel comes with off-road front bumpers which gives it a better approach angle
2. The Rebel and Laramie doesn't have the same interior. The interior on the Rebel comes with cloth seats where leather is standard on the Laramie.

Air suspension whether it's on the Laramie or Rebel offers a better ride and higher ground clearance. In the highest air setting the rebel has a 2" lift and nearly 10" of ground clearance.

Apexcars

Reaction score
Also, the Laramie and Rebel have different 4WD systems. The Laramie offers auto 4WD, the Rebel does not but the system in the Rebel is designed to be more rugged. It shares the 4WD with the lower trim levels.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And if your really going to go off road the locker in a Rebel can’t be beat.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is the locker in the Rebel different from the locker in my Laramie?

It's not different. The off road group, mechanically, gives you the same thing as the rebel. The bumper / fascia is different and there is no active air dam on the rebel. As Utah mentioned, the Rebel comes with a 1" taller tire. There forward, it's all styling.

Dontfront82

Reaction score
I coulda got a red rebel on the lot but I went with the Laramie at the end . Off road & sport package combined. You can't beat it. Looks and luxury, without all the black plastics

Utahjazzman

Reaction score
There's several differences between a Laramie with ORP and a Ram Rebel.

1. The Rebel comes with off-road front bumpers which gives it a better approach angle
2. The Rebel and Laramie doesn't have the same interior. The interior on the Rebel comes with cloth seats where leather is standard on the Laramie.

Air suspension whether it's on the Laramie or Rebel offers a better ride and higher ground clearance. In the highest air setting the rebel has a 2" lift and nearly 10" of ground clearance.
Would a Laramie with ORP have 10” also?

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is the locker in the Rebel different from the locker in my Laramie?
Their not just Rebel its standard in the package . If you off road even the bumper up front in the Rebel hits and the departure angle worse. Depends what and how much you want to modify after the fact. I think the OP looking at Rebels for a reason

DavidNJ

Reaction score
The Rebel comes with 18" wheels. For some reason, FCA used brake calipers in the Ram 1500 DT that don't fit most 18" wheels. It is unclear if there is a difference in shock absorbers. The Rebel is labeled "Bilstein-branded shocks".

However, if going off-road is the issue, The Power Wagon is the answer. It isn't that much more than a Rebel and all the mechanical bits are available on a Tradesman for less. It has 17" wheels and the same 33" OD tires stock. It has front and rear lockers. The suspension has more ground clearance, articulation, and angles of approach/departure than a Rebel. It has a front camera (I think). If you order the towing package you get the real deal with both parts of the mirror power adjustable, power folding, cameras that give you a side view of the trailer, attachments for two trailer cameras, etc. While the payload and towing are way below typical Ram HD levels, they are still better than most Rebels. People add aftermarket air springs or Timbrens to raise the limit. I believe 35x12.5 tires fit without issue and 37"x12.5 with a little trimming. With the 17" rims the 35" tires have 9" sidewalls. There are some serious off-road parts available for it.

Negative? Well, although the interior is updated some parts are still dated. The CC rear seat is much tighter than on the 1500 DT. Unventilated black leather seats don't seem like fun on a truck that could be in the hot sun all day. And no 4-wheel self-leveling air suspension, which is a big boon to just using it like a truck (e.g. lower bed height when loading). And it is a rather big truck for off-road. It may be an XL size Gladiator (for less $$$ than a Gladiator), but many off-road trails aren't XL size.

For 90% of buyers (and maybe 99%), the 1500 DT Rebel is still the better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread