5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel trim over big horn offroad package?

DSMCasey

Reaction score
How is the diesel vs the V8
Slower for sure than a hemi. The hemi feels fast. The diesel doesn’t feel slow at all but is adequate and has loads of torque at any rpm. The engine is super quiet. You can tell its a diesel outside the truck, but not from inside. No turbo lag in these gen 3 diesels like they had in the gen 1 and 2’s. I get 19-20mpg all day and the truck is a heavy hard loaded rebel - I mostly freeway though. I have seen spikes up to 24mpg with a tailwind on the freeway. I have hauled 1500lbs of deer protein and corn in the bed already and barely notice it. The diesel doesn’t seem to be bothered by a heavy load or fully loaded down truck with lots of weight in it.
Given the choice again I would buy the eco over the hemi. Only engine I would consider a possible upgrade is ford’s 2021 hybrid with that slick power system in the bed. It’s a gasser hybrid but has 500hp and gets crazy good mpg. More payload than the rebel too. But the rams have great interiors and electronics.

edit: i got the 33 gal fuel tank in the diesel so it can go 700++ miles between fillups. I nearly **** myself on long trips bc i usually take a bathroom break when i fill up every 300ish miles, but with this thing you never have to fill up!

Borsig

Reaction score
Oh i got it at Platinum Chrysler in Terrell, Tx. Never bought there before but they gave me the internet price, no markup, no funny business. The price was the price and I didn’t even argue it was the best deal in many many states and the only diesel with the options i wanted. I found a 2020 Diesel with 15k miles for 2k MORE than I paid new!
There are only 3 within 500 miles of me Diesel / rebel / sunroof.

ugh

Borsig

Reaction score
Slower for sure than a hemi. The hemi feels fast. The diesel doesn’t feel slow at all but is adequate and has loads of torque at any rpm. The engine is super quiet. You can tell its a diesel outside the truck, but not from inside. No turbo lag in these gen 3 diesels like they had in the gen 1 and 2’s. I get 19-20mpg all day and the truck is a heavy hard loaded rebel - I mostly freeway though. I have seen spikes up to 24mpg with a tailwind on the freeway. I have hauled 1500lbs of deer protein and corn in the bed already and barely notice it. The diesel doesn’t seem to be bothered by a heavy load or fully loaded down truck with lots of weight in it.
Given the choice again I would buy the eco over the hemi. Only engine I would consider a possible upgrade is ford’s 2021 hybrid with that slick power system in the bed. It’s a gasser hybrid but has 500hp and gets crazy good mpg. More payload than the rebel too. But the rams have great interiors and electronics.

edit: i got the 33 gal fuel tank in the diesel so it can go 700++ miles between fillups. I nearly **** myself on long trips bc i usually take a bathroom break when i fill up every 300ish miles, but with this thing you never have to fill up!
You're only getting an average of 20 in it?

I'd expected MUCH better from the diesel. I hate to say it, but that's a bit dissapointing, and for that gain, I wouldn't bother. It needs to get at least 25 for me to go diesel.

highgear2005

Reaction score
Something else to think about, payload if you tow anything, the bighorn will give you more payload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borsig

Reaction score
Something else to think about, payload if you tow anything, the bighorn will give you more payload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One thing I have noted is any nicer trim, the payload really begins to suffer. I don't tow much. However I will need it on occasion

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trim and options add weight...weight that is 'permanent payload'.

You're only getting an average of 20 in it?

I'd expected MUCH better from the diesel. I hate to say it, but that's a bit dissapointing, and for that gain, I wouldn't bother. It needs to get at least 25 for me to go diesel.
I had a diesel for 11 years before this and it got 15 mpg. Granted it was a 3/4 ton V-8 diesel (pre-emissions) but I had it to haul stuff and not for economy.

I don't need to haul much any more so I went with the gas V-8. Personally the operating costs and attention a diesel needs isn't worth it to me if I'm just looking for better MPGs.

Just my .02

Borsig

Reaction score
Trim and options add weight...weight that is 'permanent payload'.

I had a diesel for 11 years before this and it got 15 mpg. Granted it was a 3/4 ton V-8 diesel (pre-emissions) but I had it to haul stuff and not for economy.

I don't need to haul much any more so I went with the gas V-8. Personally the operating costs and attention a diesel needs isn't worth it to me if I'm just looking for better MPGs.

Just my .02
Driven a diesel 10 years, but it's a 4. I get you. I am not seeing the 25mpg anecdotal I expected on them. If the real number is 20-22? eehhhhh No thanks. not nearly worth it

DSMCasey

Reaction score
Driven a diesel 10 years, but it's a 4. I get you. I am not seeing the 25mpg anecdotal I expected on them. If the real number is 20-22? eehhhhh No thanks. not nearly worth it
I didn’t get it for just the fuel economy. I put 50-55k a year on a vehicle. Will be nice to keep something a few years. The diesels should last a while before complete engine failure. I am sure some of the less loaded ecodiesels get better mpg. Maybe the fuel econ differential would be greater in a non-rebel truck too. Idk. The ecodiesel should fetch more in resale as well but that is certainly debatable.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 4w auto and the rear locker/hill descent control in my bighorn. I also have the 3.92 and towing package.

Rebel guys may hate this but when I was in your current position the rebel grill killed me. I have not been able to get over that thing. Looks like nostrils to me or something like that. I DO like the front bumper/skid plate on the rebels though! I really want to take the lower valance off of mine and fab up a decent skid plate to cover the underside of the engine bay.
No hate, grill not visible from drivers seat LOL... Everyone thinks it`s a mustache, nope, rams horns.

stormtrooper78

Reaction score
Rebel guys may hate this but when I was in your current position the rebel grill killed me. I have not been able to get over that thing. Looks like nostrils to me or something like that. I DO like the front bumper/skid plate on the rebels though! I really want to take the lower valance off of mine and fab up a decent skid plate to cover the underside of the engine bay.

I hear you on the grill. Sure, it has a unique style but that matte black makes it looks like it came off a base model tradesman to me.

obrien

Reaction score
One of the big disappointments of bighorn are the seats. The fabric is IMHO super ugly and cheap looking, turning otherwise nice modern/luxury truck into utility tool.

Would not be for Built-To-Serve package which has rebel seats (I love them) I would have never got Bighorn. But Bighorn with Built-to-serve is a sweat deal (offroad package included :) )

Users who are viewing this thread