5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel trim over big horn offroad package?

Borsig

Reaction score
Im trying to decide on a rebel vs Big horn with off road / night package. Does anyone know what the Rebel adds over the Bighorn with off road packages? I'm trying to decipher what 10K is buying me over just appearance.

JbVt

Reaction score
I did that very thing and ended up going with the bighorn night edition and off road group amongst other things. With the rest of my options mine wasn’t $10k less but still quite substantial compared to a similar optioned rebel. Rebel certainly has its own appearance and stance is a little different due to bunkers and such. Grill is different, interior is little different. Tires and wheels are different. I’m not really sure if the mechanicals are all that different. To be honest either way is a win. Good luck!

Burnzie

Reaction score
REBEL REBEL REBEL REBEL REBEL J/K either way you win.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
im not positive but i don't think the electronic shift on demand transfer case is available on the big horn. that's the 4wd Auto selection in cab. i'm not sure how important that is for you.

Borsig

Reaction score
im not positive but i don't think the electronic shift on demand transfer case is available on the big horn. that's the 4wd Auto selection in cab. i'm not sure how important that is for you.
Interesting point, I need to look. options are confusing on these.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Big Horn has the 4WD AUTO. Rebel has the part-time 4WD and (as of 2021) the 4WD AUTO transfer cases...although I hear the part-time transfer case is more solid if you're looking at doing any real off-roading.

I'm not sure of the whole list but, besides styling (front grill, wheels, stickers, etc.) the Rebel has no lower valance in front, 3.92 gears are the only option, you get E-rated (10-ply) tires, leather seats are an option, Bilstein instead of Hitachi shocks, and the front is a little closer to level.

If you use the Build & Price tool at ramtrucks.com you can put them side-by-side and see what options each has to offer.

Borsig

Reaction score
The Big Horn has the 4WD AUTO. Rebel has the part-time 4WD and (as of 2021) the 4WD AUTO transfer cases...although I hear the part-time transfer case is more solid if you're looking at doing any real off-roading.

I'm not sure of the whole list but, besides styling (front grill, wheels, stickers, etc.) the Rebel has no lower valance in front, 3.92 gears are the only option, you get E-rated (10-ply) tires, leather seats are an option, Bilstein instead of Hitachi shocks, and the front is a little closer to level.

If you use the Build & Price tool at ramtrucks.com you can put them side-by-side and see what options each has to offer.
Thats the thing. I do a lot of sand off road on dunes. Clearance and lockers are needed. I don't rock crawl. I don't go on tight trails and whatnot.

The 3.92 is my biggest issue with the Rebel, and I am starting to narrow down my thoughts at least. I'm leaning diesel again, and seeing guys in rebels get 13-14 mpg, I just can't stomach that. The truck will sit more because I am fuel cheap. The 3.12's and a 4x4 trim at least get you 19-20 in other trims. Yes, I know. Its only 5 mpg, but thats also 25%. There's a HUGE difference in 15, and 27-28 highway (TFL truck review on their highway run in the ECO-D rebel) over 80k miles + on a truck.

I also need to DRIVE the eco-d which is probing to be a challenge without driving an hour to see one. I may hate it. I may love it.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thats the thing. I do a lot of sand off road on dunes. Clearance and lockers are needed. I don't rock crawl. I don't go on tight trails and whatnot.

The 3.92 is my biggest issue with the Rebel, and I am starting to narrow down my thoughts at least. I'm leaning diesel again, and seeing guys in rebels get 13-14 mpg, I just can't stomach that. The truck will sit more because I am fuel cheap. The 3.12's and a 4x4 trim at least get you 19-20 in other trims. Yes, I know. Its only 5 mpg, but thats also 25%. There's a HUGE difference in 15, and 27-28 highway (TFL truck review on their highway run in the ECO-D rebel) over 80k miles + on a truck.

I also need to DRIVE the eco-d which is probing to be a challenge without driving an hour to see one. I may hate it. I may love it.
Maybe right now the southern dealers with frozen up ecod’s will deal...

It does bear in mind how the cold affects them, peeps are reporting autostart and battery issues, now there’s the fuel gelling to consider.
If you have to run additives in the fuel that increases your overall tank costs, and will your area dealers have the cold weather group option On the lot trucks? Will they have the 33 gallon tank?

It seems like theres a negative to every positive with that truck.

Borsig

Reaction score
Maybe right now the southern dealers with frozen up ecod’s will deal...

It does bear in mind how the cold affects them, peeps are reporting autostart and battery issues, now there’s the fuel gelling to consider.
If you have to run additives in the fuel that increases your overall tank costs, and will your area dealers have the cold weather group option On the lot trucks? Will they have the 33 gallon tank?

It seems like theres a negative to every positive with that truck.
The days it gets to 10-15 degrees here are.... rare. I have owned a diesel car for the last 10 years and never seen gelling. I live in VA.

IF I buy one of these it's going to go one of two ways. New and ordered, or Used. No one is going to have a truck with the exact options I want on this truck without paying for things I do not. Building a diesel rebel puts me at 63K ish.

I'd kill to be able to order a ceramic grey BTS edition. It pings me that they don't put that color out for this truck but it is on nearly literally everything else FCA makes.

At this point I am wondering when the order books for 21's close. I am not going to buy anything till probably late spring or early summer, then at that point you wonder about waiting for a 2022.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I get about 15 mpg overall in mine (50% city, 50% highway).

If you haven't owned a diesel before definitely look into what it takes to do so. In addition to how it feels and the improved MPGs make sure you understand how it differs from a gas engine.

I'm coming from 11 years in a diesel truck and, as much as I loved it, it was taxing on the wallet. Granted the EcoD is smaller than my old Powerstroke but there's more to it than just making sure you use the green handle at the fuel station.

JbVt

Reaction score
I have the 4w auto and the rear locker/hill descent control in my bighorn. I also have the 3.92 and towing package.

Rebel guys may hate this but when I was in your current position the rebel grill killed me. I have not been able to get over that thing. Looks like nostrils to me or something like that. I DO like the front bumper/skid plate on the rebels though! I really want to take the lower valance off of mine and fab up a decent skid plate to cover the underside of the engine bay.

Borsig

Reaction score
I get about 15 mpg overall in mine (50% city, 50% highway).

If you haven't owned a diesel before definitely look into what it takes to do so. In addition to how it feels and the improved MPGs make sure you understand how it differs from a gas engine.

I'm coming from 11 years in a diesel truck and, as much as I loved it, it was taxing on the wallet. Granted the EcoD is smaller than my old Powerstroke but there's more to it than just making sure you use the green handle at the fuel station.
I've driven diesel VW TDI's for 10 years. I am on what will be my last one, they are no longer imported. I know full well about special oils, 45.00 filters, DEF, Broken DEF heaters, SCR, and the ever incesant open hostility from the current party in power / EPA to diesel.

The difference is, in my mind, there is a large difference in a 35 mpg gas car / 48 mpg diesel car and a 14-15 mpg truck vs a 25-27 MPG diesel truck. The percentage is much more on the truck.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see it as 3 Tier Levels for Trucks from Factory Currently for Sale in 2021:

Tier 1 (Light Off-Roading):
Ram 1500 Off-Road Group’s (Package)
Ford’s FX4 (Package)
Chevy’s Z71 (Package)
Toyota’s TRD-Off-Road (Trim)

Tier 2 (Moderate Off-Roading)
Ram 1500 Rebel (Trim)
Ram 2500 Power Wagon (Trim)
Ford Tremor (Package)
Chevy Silverado 1500 Trail Boss (Trim)
GMC Sierra AT4’s (Trim)
Toyota TRD Pro’s (Trim)
Nissan Pro-4X (Trim)

Tier 3 (Heavy Off-Roading)
Ram TRX (Trim)
Ford F-150 Raptor (Trim)

Tier 1 is for everyday off-roading, trails, camping, light to moderate snow, RVing trips; that sorta thing. Tier 2 is best for more difficult terrains but nothing crazy; mudding, deeper ruts, rock crawling, beaches. Tier 3 is for the heavy stuff. Baja and desert running, severe snow, fast off-roading, thick terrain conditions, and grocery getting / mall running.

Hopefully it clears up some differences for ya to decide what’s better. I went with the Off-Road Group on my ‘21 1500 Limited order. The Package is the most value for money imo, less than $900 for all that stuff. Better Shocks, a lot of skid plates, Hill Descent Control, and a Locking Rear Diff. My biggest issue terrain wise, is snow. We get a lot of it every year.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of my use is beaches.
Yeah the Off-Road Package could probably handle it, but something like a Rebel would be just a tad better suited for not getting stuck easily in sand. I like the looks of other trims over the rebel, so that’s why I didn’t want one.

DSMCasey

Reaction score
The days it gets to 10-15 degrees here are.... rare. I have owned a diesel car for the last 10 years and never seen gelling. I live in VA.

IF I buy one of these it's going to go one of two ways. New and ordered, or Used. No one is going to have a truck with the exact options I want on this truck without paying for things I do not. Building a diesel rebel puts me at 63K ish.

I'd kill to be able to order a ceramic grey BTS edition. It pings me that they don't put that color out for this truck but it is on nearly literally everything else FCA makes.

At this point I am wondering when the order books for 21's close. I am not going to buy anything till probably late spring or early summer, then at that point you wonder about waiting for a 2022.
I bought a rebel diesel a month ago brand new with the options I wanted. I setup an alert on cars.com and pounced when it emailed me the perfect truck after a couple weeks. Sticker was $66k I paid $52k. Fully loaded rebel 3.0 ecodiesel night edition. Only thing it doesn’t have is air ride. Big sunroof, rebel 12, 33 gal tank, hk audio, etc etc

Edit: I live north side of Dallas. Truck been plugged in but starting fine at below 0 F temps.

Attachments

• 17569600-F3D9-4CE8-810F-7F2AD570377C.jpeg
    17569600-F3D9-4CE8-810F-7F2AD570377C.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 41
  • E3276C4C-7EF7-4ED7-8785-F34E57AC6383.jpeg
    E3276C4C-7EF7-4ED7-8785-F34E57AC6383.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 39

Borsig

Reaction score
I bought a rebel diesel a month ago brand new with the options I wanted. I setup an alert on cars.com and pounced when it emailed me the perfect truck after a couple weeks. Sticker was $66k I paid $52k. Fully loaded rebel 3.0 ecodiesel night edition. Only thing it doesn’t have is air ride. Big sunroof, rebel 12, 33 gal tank, hk audio, etc etc

Edit: I live north side of Dallas. Truck been plugged in but starting fine at below 0 F temps.
How is the diesel vs the V8

DSMCasey

Reaction score

Oh i got it at Platinum Chrysler in Terrell, Tx. Never bought there before but they gave me the internet price, no markup, no funny business. The price was the price and I didn’t even argue it was the best deal in many many states and the only diesel with the options i wanted. I found a 2020 Diesel with 15k miles for 2k MORE than I paid new!

Users who are viewing this thread