5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel Specs, Do They Exist?

DavidNJ

Reaction score
An interesting turned up as I've grappled with understanding different tires, level/lift kit/long arm kit, and air suspension settings: There are no specs for the 2019 Rebel. Anywhere that I've looked anyway.

Where have I looked? The brochure, the Press Release Specs, the Owner's Manual, this forum, the Ram forum, etc. I became particularly interested when looking at "Level Kits" for the air suspension.

And it started by looking for wheel travel...a pretty key part of suspension design.

I have ended up back in 2015, when data was published. Rams came with 265/70-17 (31.7" tall) or 275/60-20 (33.2" tall). The Rebel had 285/70-17 (32.8" tall, note: not the tallest). All Rebels had air suspension then.

The height of the roof is pretty immutable, so let's look at that:

TireEntry / ExitNormal Ride HeightOff Road 1Off Road 2/Off Road
265/70-1775.2 (1,909.0)77.2 (1,962.0)78.2 (1,986.6)79.2 (2,013.0)
275/60-2075.8 (1,924.4)77.8 (1,977.4)78.8 (2,002.0)79.9 (2,028.4)
285/70-1875.3 (1,913.7)78.1 (1,984.6)79.1 (2,010.2)

Adjusted for the tire sizes, what is that?
Tire DiameterDeltaEntry / ExitNormal Ride HeightOff Road 1/Off RoadOff Road 2
31.7​
0​
75.2​
77.2​
78.2​
79.2​
33.2​
0.75​
75.05​
77.05​
78.05​
79.15​
32.8​
0.55​
74.75​
77.55​
78.55​

It seems the Rebel was lifted 1/2 inch. Which should be the same now. It also seems that the max lift on the Rebel was less than a non-Rebel with the air suspension. This is a simple computer or link adjustment. Based on the tailgate the ground measurement, it appears that in 2015 Rebel more of the lift was in the front.

Now the Rebel has steel springs. How did they raise it 1/2"? By raising the lower spring perch and a stiffer or longer spring in the back? Did they raise the back or just partially level the front? Did the Bilstein have more travel available, or was it done at the expense of droop travel?

How do they do it on the Off-Road Group that claims the same 1" lift but has the original 275/60-18 or 275/60-20 tire sizes?

What is the wheel travel with steel springs? What is with the air suspension? What is it with the normal or off-road suspensions?

Or better: Why doesn't FCA publish the info?

DavidNJ

Reaction score
That was one of them...very strange...they used to include info on the Rebel.

The 4th gen Rebel had a Bilstein shock under its air suspension. Does the 5th gen Rebel with optional air suspension also have a Bilstein shock? Not a picture anywhere.

Lize

Reaction score
From reading here I think the Rebel and the Off Road group are 1" higher, I don't know about rake though.

This lists 77.5" overall height and clearance of 6.7" and there is gradient info too but its not obvious what mode of air suspension the measurements apply:

Theres this article too which has some figures in the Air Suspension paragraphs and may be better for you:

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That was one of them...very strange...they used to include info on the Rebel.

The 4th gen Rebel had a Bilstein shock under its air suspension. Does the 5th gen Rebel with optional air suspension also have a Bilstein shock? Not a picture anywhere.
Yes... or at least they have the trademark blue and yellow paint. I haven't check for the label. I have noticed that the rear shocks are different from Rebel's with steel springs... no extra reservoir.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Seen all that...says nothing. As the numbers for the 2017 show, there is only 1/2 lift from the suspension, and it is less than a normal air suspension when in Off-Road 2. The 1/2 is from the tires.

If you put in a 275/65-20, a 34" tire, and actually raise an OE truck 1" putting the suspension at unfavorable angles...suspension arms, drive shafts would remain at stock angles. It does raise the roll center since they are the same angles but 1" higher. Ground clearance is up 1" also. A 295/60-20 is also a 34" tire and should fit; a 285/45 is OE on 22" wheels.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suspect there's little over all difference in suspension travel, max ride height, etc., from truck to truck including the Rebel. That's why there's no extra data... you'll end up more or less at the same point. RAM doesn't really want to advertise that fact.

To your question about tires... isn't it more about wheel well clearance, particularly in the front, vs suspension geometry? The question becomes can you fit a 34 or 35 inch tire without scrubbing, etc? To that, I have no idea. I think the 33's are just fine, if not more, than I'll ever need living in Eastern Mass.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Irrespective of whether they are the same, they are unpublished. Wheel travel is critical off-road and important on-road also.

There is also an underlying question as to whether the Off-Road Group or the Rebel itself is the best Off-Road version of the Ram 1500. There is also a question of whether the air suspension front level kits—which amount to an adjustable link on the ride height sensor—are detrimental or not.

The Bilstein shocks on the Rebel are a good thing, as is its styling. However, would anyone actually go out and purchase the tire it comes with if you bought the tires separately? The full-size spare isn't, at least from an off-roading or towing perspective. Is it better to get the standard model, add either Bilstein shocks or the air suspension, the protection group, the electrically locking diff, Nitto Ridge Grappler tires in the size of your choice (the overwhelming favorite of posters here), and add a 5th tire as the spare? The only feature missing is hill descent control.

For me, the issue is the normal setting on the air suspension, the higher aero setting, and which is the optimal bump/droop ratio.

For 2019 the Rams add fabulous interiors. But the other big advantages as a pickup are the air suspension, Rambox, and now Multifunction tailgate. All three are unique to the Ram 1500 (the 2500 doesn't have 4-wheel air anymore) and IMHO make the Ram stand out as the best pickup. Only exceptions are if you are towing or carrying a huge load (then the F-150 XLT with max payload and max tow packages, although all F-150s have a towing advantage) or serious off-roading out of the box (then the F-150 Raptor).

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, are you asking if the Rebel is worth it? Or is taking a different trim level and Rebel-izing it? What's more cost effective?

I think the Rebel trim will save you a few bucks in the end. My own comparison: I wanted a Laramie with Off Road and Air Suspension and without the Level 2 Package, 12 inch display, etc. I ended up getting my Rebel, $61K MSRP, for far less than the Laramie cost... both SRP and what was offered as a sale price. In addition, my Rebel is a "12" with the big display and leather. I think it was a much better value in the end.

There are other differences for "offroadiness" in the Rebels favor. The whole front end is different with no air damn, the big skid plate, powder coated bumper (instead of chrome or paint). I don't think the Rebel is any different than the Trail Boss/AT4 or the Tundra TRD Pro is this respect either, which is it's competition. It's not in the Raptors class, but it's above the Z71/FX4/Off Road options.

Users who are viewing this thread