5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel Questions: Air Suspension or stock? 3.6L or 5.7?

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
Hello,

New to the Ram world, but loving the aggressive look of the Rebels, luxury of the Ram interior, and have had great success with the Mopar Maxcare warranty on my Challenger (already paid for itself twice over).

Quick background:
Currently drive a Challenger 2015 R/T Scat Pack, 18mpg average on 91 octane. Finally switching from my 3rd muscle car and into the truck world.

Looking for a daily driver with light trail capabilities. Only driving on trails to get to desert shooting locations, no need for rock crawling.

Also go on long distance trips frequently (once a month I do 500 mile trips, once or twice a year 5k+). Work from home so no work commute. I do city driving here in Phoenix pretty regularly. Only have averaged 12k-15k miles a year in my Challenger, so no real need for Diesel, but looking to travel more, and I'm open to it if the consensus points me that way.

Question is:
Is the air suspension worth it?
I'd rather save $2000 and stick with the Rebel suspension if I won't really notice a difference in drive quality, but if you guys say the air suspension is absolutely worth it, especially on longer drives, then I'll trust you. Test drove a dealerships Ram Limited with air suspension but couldn't really feel it on the short trip we took.

Is the 3.6L or the 5.7L worth it?
With the thread complaining about the 3.92 gears + v8 only giving them 10-12mpgs, maybe it's better to stick with the lower gears and 3.6L? Yeah I'll miss having a 6.4L hemi, but if mileage reports vary from 10-15mpg, sounds like a risk with the 5.7+3.92 and better to drop 3 liters. But if the 5.7 really can get 17 average then I'd be perfectly fine with that number.

Let me know your thoughts! Excited to be planning this all out and having fun doing so!!

Grimgreg

Reaction score
The main plus of the air ride is the variability of it, low for getting in and out, high for off road. The coil sprung setup gives a really nice ride also.

As for engine, if you don't plan to tow or haul anything the V6 is probably great.

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
The main plus of the air ride is the variability of it, low for getting in and out, high for off road. The coil sprung setup gives a really nice ride also.

As for engine, if you don't plan to tow or haul anything the V6 is probably great.
Definitely don't care about the ride height variability. And now you got me questioning if I even need to ante up for the 4x4 package. I could save around $7600 just removing the 4x4, 5.7L, and the air suspension.

Grimgreg

Reaction score
I spent about a month going through different models, trims and packages online, figuring out what trim offered what, what I really wanted, and what was a waste.

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
After 7 years with the 6.4L 392 hemi, there's zero chance I'd go back and trade down for a V6, but realistically I'd also Never used all 511hp of that engine.

A muscle car is meant for the power, style, and the sound. This truck is my new daily driver with trail capabilities. Just the great debate of those 3 features: 5.7, 4x4, and air suspension.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Just my personal opinion here, but it sounds like you are getting the wrong vehicle.

Buying a great big vehicle and worrying about mpg?

Buying a towing vehicle and opting for a smaller engine?

Buying an off-road capable vehicle and cutting it off at the knees and not getting 4x4?

Maybe you can accessorize it with a dog with no bark and a declawed cat?

My vote, if you are buying a truck then buy a real truck with the 5.7 and 4x4. Air only if you are going to tow or haul so you can take advantage of self leveling. I love my air but i wouldn’t do it if i weren’t towing. It’s actually a little bouncier to me and i prefer the feel of coils but I’ve gotten used to it over time. I even installed a stiffer sway bar to settle it a bit.

And, fwiw, I’ve stuck 2 wheel drive trucks in both wet grass and sand. If there’s even a chance you’ll get a vehicle off pavement then 4x4 kinda sells itself.

Last edited:

MichaelR

Reaction score
The air suspension is a nice to have if you’re towing or want the height adjustment but certainly not necessary even if you tow. It does require the V8.

If you’re getting the Rebel you should do 4x4, it’s just part of doing it.

V6 vs V8 is personal preference. If you’re sensitive to reoccurring costs (gas/maintenance) and don’t need the V8 for towing or driving style then the V6 will be more than adequate. If the additional costs don’t bother you and you really need the extra power to satisfy you then you should get the V8.

Until someone else starts making your payments for you, remember it’s your truck.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Someone above said "remember it's your truck." But the last thing to consider is resale value. Unless you plan to drive it until you die, a half-ton off-road Rebel spec'd with a V6 and 2WD is gonna be a deal breaker for most truck buyers. I didn't actually know you could get a Rebel with either of those options tbh.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
to me the air suspension is a must-have. This thing comes in so handy in a few ways. Hooking up the trailer set it all the way down, back up and get the ball under the coupler, and then raise it BOOM, done. Then there's the garage height, as I go in, I lower it to at least "Aero" and there's enough clearance to get in. Out with the misses, lower it for her to get in easy enough. Driving on highway, it's just butter smooth. Washing the truck?, lower it all the way to get at it easier....the list goes on.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you strip everything away that makes a Ram a Ram, then it won’t be worth sh!t when you go to get rid of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MPG questions are going to give the same amount of answers and opinions as oil brand questions. If you don't drive like a 16 year old trying to prove something then your mileage won't be terrible. If you don't drive 75+ on the interstate your mileage won't be terrible. If you use the MDS your mileage won't be terrible. Etc etc etc. I personally average 16-17 in the summer with about 60/40 city/interstate driving 75. Truck in my sig. If my truck didn't have AT tires, a lift, and I drove 70 I'd probably get 19-20. I average 18 when I take the kids to daycare driving 55 on a highway.

If you're not towing, it's mainly a DD/travel vehicle, and you're only doing light off road I'd suggest the V6, 3.21 gears, and 4x4. If you're worried about resale value you're not going to find many people wanting a Rebel with a smaller engine and gears, but at least it is 4WD.

4x4 adds a bit a weight, but with the Rebels it's not Auto or AWD. It's only connected when you turn it on. Same with the E-locker. Remember, a 2WD truck is really only 1WD unless you have a locker/anti-spin/limited slip. A 4WD truck is really only 2WD unless you have locker(s) and then it's either 3 or 4.

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
Wow, just read through all your replies, I got called out, but in the best way possible.

As I got closer to pulling the trigger on an order I think I just started nickel and diming myself trying to save money. A good slap to remind me why I want a Rebel in the first place, and not a Rav or GV80.

thank you all for waking me up. And feel free to keep posting suggestions and opinions! Can't hurt to read more and prevent buyers remorse 😂

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
Maybe you can accessorize it with a dog with no bark and a declawed cat?

My vote, if you are buying a truck then buy a real truck with the 5.7 and 4x4. Air only if you are going to tow or haul so you can take advantage of self leveling. I love my air but i wouldn’t do it if i weren’t towing. It’s actually a little bouncier to me and i prefer the feel of coils but I’ve gotten used to it over time. I even installed a stiffer swat bar to settle it a bit.

And, fwiw, I’ve stuck 2 wheel drive trucks in both wet grass and sand. If there’s even a chance you’ll get a vehicle off pavement then 4x4 kinda sells itself
Dang, Ram needs to send you some commission because I think you just sold me on 4x4 +V8.

I'd follow you into battle with that style of calling out and challenging for more outta life 😂

Thanks for the input!

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
to me the air suspension is a must-have. This thing comes in so handy in a few ways. Hooking up the trailer set it all the way down, back up and get the ball under the coupler, and then raise it BOOM, done. Then there's the garage height, as I go in, I lower it to at least "Aero" and there's enough clearance to get in. Out with the misses, lower it for her to get in easy enough. Driving on highway, it's just butter smooth. Washing the truck?, lower it all the way to get at it easier....the list goes on.
Hmm never thought of these points.

Is it bouncy? Does it sway/body roll on turns?

shak3r

Reaction score
I have a '19 Scat Shaker that's cammed, etc. I just got the Rebel GT and love the V8 and "borla" exhaust. I think you could skip the air ride, but go w/ the V8 or get a Prius (jk). Oh and a Rebel w/o 4x4 is just wrong IMO.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, if you are buying a Rebel, the Hemi and 4x4 are part of it. If you want a V6 2wd, look at a Big Horn, or Laramie, depending on the availability of other options you want.

I think coming from a Sact Pack, you will be highly disappointed in the power the V6 gives. Even if you never used the full potential of your Scat, you undoubtedly did use at least most of its capability, especially merging and passing on freeway.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
And resale on a 2WD is very bad, if you could even sell it.

Depends where you live, 2WD in west and places that don't typically snow are usually in line with 4WD in terms of depreciation and value retention. In Phoenix, he is probably alright.

Users who are viewing this thread