5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel overheating?

Pharmsrt4

Reaction score
Lately my 2019 with 40k miles wants to over heat at idle. At idle temps are hitting 224 before the fans come on and cool it down to 212 then the fans shut off. While driving temps stay around 199-201. I’m in Minnesota and ambient temps are 30-40. Just seems odds for the temps to climb so high while idling. I checked the coolant and the overflow was low (bottom of dipstick). I added coolant and still wants to run hot at idle. Any thoughts on if this is normal or might something be wrong.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take a look and see if your radiator is clogged up, it doesn’t take much dirt/mud/grass seeds to clog up half the fins.

My truck usually hits those temps towing or when driving in traffic, but outside of that it’ll be a bit lower.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
224 is not truly overheating, but if that’s not normal for your truck, then I get your concern. Temps aside, if your fans are shutting off, then the pcm thinks your coolant temps are low enough that the fans no longer need to run. I’m not sure there’s actually an issue here.

Something that could effect things is if the grill shutters (sorry, forgot the name) are stuck closed or malfunctioning.

Questions: What engine do you have? Hours on engine? What oil is being used? Is the coolant original or been changed?

Edit: autocorrect changed “low” to “like”, I changed it back.

Last edited:

Deebeezie

Reaction score
Here's what I learned about fan speeds and temps during the tuning process with my Hellcat: For the factory fan settings are high: 216, med: 212, and low: 208. These are sent out due like this to satisfy emission standards, and I assume the settings are similar in Ram Trucks.. I am, so far, committing to not connecting my Ram to my HPTuners Mpvi2 once I get it and read the PCM. We'll see once it arrives...

Depending on traffic conditions and driving styles, a temp of 224 is not really high and the fans are performing as designed and programmed. Also, fan speed changes lag behind ECT changes by quite a bit which causes the temp to go above the desired temp for brief moments before it settles back down. Additionally, the fan control tables in the ECT determine the desired engine coolant temperature based on current ambient air temperature. Hopefully, the attached chart makes sense.

Once I started modifying my Hellcat, I changed my thermostat to a 180 degree and reset my fan ECT settings to 205/195/189. Since I was over-spinning the blower and generating more heat, I had to do something to mitigate coolant and IAT temps so as to keep the PCM from pulling timing.

FWIW, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I am neither a tuner or a mechanic and YMMV based on your situation. What I have learned is because I have a desire to fully understand exactly what, how, and why the changes I make to my vehicle will affect its performance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 9.20.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 9.20.20 PM.png
    186.1 KB · Views: 12

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's what I learned about fan speeds and temps during the tuning process with my Hellcat: For the factory fan settings are high: 216, med: 212, and low: 208. These are sent out due like this to satisfy emission standards, and I assume the settings are similar in Ram Trucks.. I am, so far, committing to not connecting my Ram to my HPTuners Mpvi2 once I get it and read the PCM. We'll see once it arrives...

Depending on traffic conditions and driving styles, a temp of 224 is not really high and the fans are performing as designed and programmed. Also, fan speed changes lag behind ECT changes by quite a bit which causes the temp to go above the desired temp for brief moments before it settles back down. Additionally, the fan control tables in the ECT determine the desired engine coolant temperature based on current ambient air temperature. Hopefully, the attached chart makes sense.

Once I started modifying my Hellcat, I changed my thermostat to a 180 degree and reset my fan ECT settings to 205/195/189. Since I was over-spinning the blower and generating more heat, I had to do something to mitigate coolant and IAT temps so as to keep the PCM from pulling timing.

FWIW, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I am neither a tuner or a mechanic and YMMV based on your situation. What I have learned is because I have a desire to fully understand exactly what, how, and why the changes I make to my vehicle will affect its performance.
That’s great that you’re learning the why behind things instead of being like a lot of people who say “my truck’s modified, so I need a 180° thermostat” when they actually may not. Using a data driven approach is excellent, good job.

Zeeya

Reaction score
2019 Rebel, 63,000 miles. Engine hours are around 2060. Coolant temps will run at times up to 224-26, That is (usually) stuck in traffic, but I have noticed it sometimes at highway speeds. I can kick the a/c up to setting 6 or 7 and it will drop pretty darn quick to 199-203. I can lower my a/c motor and sometimes it will climb back up there and sometimes she don't. I was concerned about it and started reading up on it (here as well as other places) and it is not out of the norm for our trucks. Also discussed with service advisor and manager. They stated it was not abnormal. I've seen 230 pulling my 22' bay boat with a little head wind.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's normal operating coolant temps to me. The ideal temps for modern engines is 205 - 220F. On the DT Gen RAMs, your truck should cycle between 200 - 230F regularly, depending on conditions such as high ambient temps and idling or moving slowly up a hill for example will hit 229-230F without a load.

Under extreme loads, like a heavy towing while going uphill, your coolant temps could hit 245F, I believe the warning comes out at 250F.

Oil temps tend to be a little higher, maybe another 10 degrees over the coolant. However, under heavy load, oil temps can reach 290F or higher in the Hemi.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mines running at 206 to 219 waiting for scrips at cvs drivethru in upstate ny its 68 out id say thats normal, when i start
driving it drops like another guy said to 196 to 199

Users who are viewing this thread