5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel Load Range "E" Tires in Soft Sand

Wetsand09

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel (5.7L eTorque and 3.92's) that I drive on soft sand beaches frequently with the factory 275/70r18 Duratracs (Traction Control Off).

Previously, I had a Wrangler with Duratracs (285/70r17's) that I ran at 32PSI, which worked well enough for both the beach and highway.
Since I only run about 150 yds on the beach until I get to my spot, having one pressure that works for both on and off-road driving had appeal.
With the Jeep, I ran in 4HIGH and kept 4LO as a reserve if I got in a jam. Airing down to 15PSI w/ 4LO has gotten me out of all situations.

With the Rebel, inflated to the "Door Jamb Specs" (55front/45rear for the Load E Tires), I noticed it wants to dig in the sand, particularly with any minor incline.
I find myself having to drop into 4LO (with and without the Locker) more frequently to prevent myself from getting stuck.
I figured that it was somewhat "as expected" after making the switch from a shorter wheelbase/light Jeep, to a truck with limited weight over the rear axle.

While the Rebel was at the dealer for service, I had a 2019 Big Horn loaner vehicle that handled much better in the soft sand (running at 36PSI if I remember correctly).
I'm guessing the Big Horn had 3.21 gears, and a standard All-Season tire...

Given that payload and towing capacities between the Big Horn and Rebel are fairly close to one another, what warranted the Load E tires for the Rebel?
Just the peace of mind of a 10-ply tire for rock climbing and other harsh off-road conditions? Because of added weight of the factory skid plates?

In theory, could someone simply swap factory Big Horn Wheels/Tires with Rebel Wheels/Tires?
Aside from the TPMS's throwing a fit, each truck would have tires at, or close to a factory spec, but on a different truck with similar GVWR's and towing capacities.

Could I expect my Rebel with BigHorn Tires to handle as the loaner did in soft sand conditions?
My thoughts are the "lower by default" tire pressure will help with traction, along with the less aggressive tread pattern.

If I were replace my Load E tires with Load D tires, is that a potential liability issue since the truck came from the factory with Load E tires?
Would a dealer be able to adjust the TPMS to reflect the new tires, or would I have to get a programmer to adjust that number?

Or am I completely missing something else?
3.21 vs 3.92 gears?
Added Skid Plate Weight?
??

Thanks in advance.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel (5.7L eTorque and 3.92's) that I drive on soft sand beaches frequently with the factory 275/70r18 Duratracs (Traction Control Off).

Previously, I had a Wrangler with Duratracs (285/70r17's) that I ran at 32PSI, which worked well enough for both the beach and highway.
Since I only run about 150 yds on the beach until I get to my spot, having one pressure that works for both on and off-road driving had appeal.
With the Jeep, I ran in 4HIGH and kept 4LO as a reserve if I got in a jam. Airing down to 15PSI w/ 4LO has gotten me out of all situations.

With the Rebel, inflated to the "Door Jamb Specs" (55front/45rear for the Load E Tires), I noticed it wants to dig in the sand, particularly with any minor incline.
I find myself having to drop into 4LO (with and without the Locker) more frequently to prevent myself from getting stuck.
I figured that it was somewhat "as expected" after making the switch from a shorter wheelbase/light Jeep, to a truck with limited weight over the rear axle.

While the Rebel was at the dealer for service, I had a 2019 Big Horn loaner vehicle that handled much better in the soft sand (running at 36PSI if I remember correctly).
I'm guessing the Big Horn had 3.21 gears, and a standard All-Season tire...

Given that payload and towing capacities between the Big Horn and Rebel are fairly close to one another, what warranted the Load E tires for the Rebel?
Just the peace of mind of a 10-ply tire for rock climbing and other harsh off-road conditions? Because of added weight of the factory skid plates?

In theory, could someone simply swap factory Big Horn Wheels/Tires with Rebel Wheels/Tires?
Aside from the TPMS's throwing a fit, each truck would have tires at, or close to a factory spec, but on a different truck with similar GVWR's and towing capacities.

Could I expect my Rebel with BigHorn Tires to handle as the loaner did in soft sand conditions?
My thoughts are the "lower by default" tire pressure will help with traction, along with the less aggressive tread pattern.

If I were replace my Load E tires with Load D tires, is that a potential liability issue since the truck came from the factory with Load E tires?
Would a dealer be able to adjust the TPMS to reflect the new tires, or would I have to get a programmer to adjust that number?

Or am I completely missing something else?
3.21 vs 3.92 gears?
Added Skid Plate Weight?
??

Thanks in advance.
There is no harm in changing out your Rebel tires for a D rating, P rating, etc. For normal driving you probably won't feel much difference in the tires. I'm sure there are people on this forum who would trade their 20" Big Horn wheels and tires for your Rebel wheels and tires.
The 285/70R17 Duratrac is actually a D rated tire. The offroad tires on the Rebel are for traction and to provide a little more durability for rocks, logs, etc. If you were running this tire at 55/45 PSI on the sand; then this is the most likely cause of your Rebel not handling as well as the Big Horn. A lot of people will air down 2/3rds from Highway inflation for sand; that would mean that you would be airing down to 18 psi front and 16 psi rear. I don't like the 2/3rds rule because I always worry its too low without bead locks. Instead, I will usually follow my own 1/3rd rule; which would put you at 36 front and 30 rear . You need to air down for some flotation on sand; otherwise your tires will just dig in. The Bighorn was running at 36 PSI on P-rated tires; so it would have floated better in the sand. You would probably be safe airing down to 20 PSI for sand; but I think 36/30 would probably make a world of difference for you. I don't think you need to get new tires (unless you really want to). Its just that 55 psi and 45 psi are a bit high for sand.

Wetsand09

Reaction score
There is no harm in changing out your Rebel tires for a D rating, P rating, etc. For normal driving you probably won't feel much difference in the tires. I'm sure there are people on this forum who would trade their 20" Big Horn wheels and tires for your Rebel wheels and tires.
The 285/70R17 Duratrac is actually a D rated tire. The offroad tires on the Rebel are for traction and to provide a little more durability for rocks, logs, etc. If you were running this tire at 55/45 PSI on the sand; then this is the most likely cause of your Rebel not handling as well as the Big Horn. A lot of people will air down 2/3rds from Highway inflation for sand; that would mean that you would be airing down to 18 psi front and 16 psi rear. I don't like the 2/3rds rule because I always worry its too low without bead locks. Instead, I will usually follow my own 1/3rd rule; which would put you at 36 front and 30 rear . You need to air down for some flotation on sand; otherwise your tires will just dig in. The Bighorn was running at 36 PSI on P-rated tires; so it would have floated better in the sand. You would probably be safe airing down to 20 PSI for sand; but I think 36/30 would probably make a world of difference for you. I don't think you need to get new tires (unless you really want to). Its just that 55 psi and 45 psi are a bit high for sand.

Thanks Billy James. I figured the 55/45psi was the culprit. I want to try and find a "happy medium" tire pressure that will be suitable for both highway and in the sand, given the frequency I drive onto the beach. I've dropped the PSI as low as I can go before setting off my TPMS (20% from factory). If I go any lower, aside from getting a low tire pressure light, I'm sure it will lead to faster/uneven wear, and sidewall strain from the lower pressure. Ideally, I'd like to get a Load D tire, that operates at a lower PSI threshold.

Any idea why the Rebel in particular has a 55/45 split?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks Billy James. I figured the 55/45psi was the culprit. I want to try and find a "happy medium" tire pressure that will be suitable for both highway and in the sand, given the frequency I drive onto the beach. I've dropped the PSI as low as I can go before setting off my TPMS (20% from factory). If I go any lower, aside from getting a low tire pressure light, I'm sure it will lead to faster/uneven wear, and sidewall strain from the lower pressure. Ideally, I'd like to get a Load D tire, that operates at a lower PSI threshold.

Any idea why the Rebel in particular has a 55/45 split?

The split difference is because of the weight difference. You have a heavy motor in the front so the air pressure is a little higher, just like if you tow than you would add a bit of pressure in the rear.

Wetsand09

Reaction score
The split difference is because of the weight difference. You have a heavy motor in the front so the air pressure is a little higher, just like if you tow than you would add a bit of pressure in the rear.
Im not sure that makes sense. The Bighorn, Limited, Laramie all run consistent tire PSI's across all 4 tires. The Rebel is the only trim that has the 55/45 split. All trims have the same powertrain options.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Im not sure that makes sense. The Bighorn, Limited, Laramie all run consistent tire PSI's across all 4 tires. The Rebel is the only trim that has the 55/45 split. All trims have the same powertrain options.

And they all run P rated tire too. Most E rated/heavy duty tired require lots of air pressure to run smooth, heck some of our military trucks ran 75PSI normal and when carrying heavy loads were 100+PSI.

I normally run around 50/40 in mine and I can't tell that 5PSI difference.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm curious about this too. I usually run between 36-38 on my Laramie with the stock 275/55/20's but might change that up.

Users who are viewing this thread