5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel deployable bed step

brewdad

Reaction score
On the Ram build site, the option for bed utility group Includes the deployable bed step but for the Rebel trim it shows "NAW multi-function tailgate". Does this mean not available with multi-function tailgate? Has anyone with a 2020 Rebel with bed utility group and multi-function tailgate also have deployable bed step?

CHIC

Reaction score
I don't have a multi functional tailgate but do have the bed step with the utility group. I would say maybe try calling your dealer and asking this question, or even chat with one of the Ram agents and ask. The web site for building a truck is rather misleading!

CHIC

Reaction score

The live chat option as actually pretty good. I've chatted with 4 agents over the past month and they were all pretty personable.

CHIC

Reaction score
I saw that video and asked the dealer about it and he had no idea, the service department had no idea so at this point its like Bigfoot and Loch Ness Monster, plenty of sightings but no proof it actually exists.

LMAO. Well put! I feel like most of my ordering process was like this with all the questions I had!

@brewdad I will keep my eye open to see if I see any, but, I am thinking this will just add to the other "sightings!"

Downytide

Reaction score
If you option for multi function tail gate, you automatically get the bed step, however the MFing has different step, instead of mounting on the driver side for normal tailgate, this one mounts near the center, next to the receiver.

Micko24

Reaction score
Is there a contraindications to having it mounted to where it normally goes? My truck with MFT didn’t came with one so, I bought and installed one...

MF2020

Reaction score
If you option for multi function tail gate, you automatically get the bed step, however the MFing has different step, instead of mounting on the driver side for normal tailgate, this one mounts near the center, next to the receiver.
I have a Multi-Function Tailgate but do not have the center bed step. Are you saying that your vehicle came equipped this way? I would like to get the center bed step but dealers here cannot find it listed anywhere for sale.

brewdad

Reaction score
There are two different deployable bed steps---with the standard tailgate, there is an available bed step mounted at far left of the rear bumper so when the tailgate is lowered, the bed step can be lowered and there is room to step into the bed (this is a stand-alone $195 option available since the 2019 models were built). With the multi-functional tailgate, there should be a deployable bed step included if the bed utility group is selected; this bed step is located just left of the trailer tow hitch so when the tailgate is swung out to the side you can step directly into the middle of the bed; but on the Ram build site, when bed utility group is selected, there is noted that deployable bed step is not available with multi-functional tail gate. So for some reason this new bed step is being delayed.

MF2020

Reaction score
There are two different deployable bed steps---with the standard tailgate, there is an available bed step mounted at far left of the rear bumper so when the tailgate is lowered, the bed step can be lowered and there is room to step into the bed (this is a stand-alone $195 option available since the 2019 models were built). With the multi-functional tailgate, there should be a deployable bed step included if the bed utility group is selected; this bed step is located just left of the trailer tow hitch so when the tailgate is swung out to the side you can step directly into the middle of the bed; but on the Ram build site, when bed utility group is selected, there is noted that deployable bed step is not available with multi-functional tail gate. So for some reason this new bed step is being delayed.

MF2020

Reaction score
So... we wait and see what they come up with for a center bed step. I just purchased a piece of rubber stepping with a peel and stick surface on one side and what looks like a very durable step surface on the other. It fits perfectly where the rear bumper dips down and will serve nicely as my bed step for now. I will attempt to stick it on when I can get the car in the heated garage long enough for the sticky material to cure. I just hope it stays stuck at least until a real center bed step is available.

Downytide

Reaction score
So... we wait and see what they come up with for a center bed step. I just purchased a piece of rubber stepping with a peel and stick surface on one side and what looks like a very durable step surface on the other. It fits perfectly where the rear bumper dips down and will serve nicely as my bed step for now. I will attempt to stick it on when I can get the car in the heated garage long enough for the sticky material to cure. I just hope it stays stuck at least until a real center bed step is available.

I have a Multi-Function Tailgate but do not have the center bed step. Are you saying that your vehicle came equipped this way? I would like to get the center bed step but dealers here cannot find it listed anywhere for sale.

Hmmmm this may be a Canadian dealer inventory thing, if you see a truck with MF gate it usually has the step.

You can see the step in the video here:

KP60

Reaction score
After extensive research, calling the dealer, FCA, searching the internet and also this site, it is now clear to me that a center mounted rear step ISNT available at this time. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 limited with everything including Ram Boxes and the new multifunction tailgate. I thought I had ordered the step but no, the dealer put last years bed step in which is located on the drivers side rear corner. This step works great with a normal tailgate, but is virtually useless with the multifunction tailgate. THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE. I’m having trouble understanding why FCA wont address this issue?! The cool videos swayed me to get all this cool stuff, but why no center mounted step like in the cool videos? Does anyone have any answers? Anything aftermarket that will work? I’m frustrated

dsmonline

Reaction score
I believe the question we should be asking is if & when the center mount step will be available and since we bought & paid for the Bed Utility Group that listed the bed step, will the dealer/FCA provide us with it at no cost. The rumor is sometime in the 1st Q whatever the issue is will be resolved and once generally available, will the cost of the BUG option go up to account for the added step. If not, then they owe us.

KP60

Reaction score
I believe the question we should be asking is if & when the center mount step will be available and since we bought & paid for the Bed Utility Group that listed the bed step, will the dealer/FCA provide us with it at no cost. The rumor is sometime in the 1st Q whatever the issue is will be resolved and once generally available, will the cost of the BUG option go up to account for the added step. If not, then they owe us.
Amen

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck. We played exactly the same game in 2018 with the deployable bed step (driver’s side corner), which was stated to be included in the BUG with the caveat of “late availability”. I’m not sure if anyone got their dealer to provide this item at no charge after taking delivery. A great many of us had to source the part (that we felt we’d already paid for) through sites like MoparAmerica.

Angel eyes

Reaction score
I don't have a multi functional tailgate but do have the bed step with the utility group. I would say maybe try calling your dealer and asking this question, or even chat with one of the Ram agents and ask. The web site for building a truck is rather misleading!
Where did you find the center step trying to buy one

Users who are viewing this thread