5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel - Black Plastic Trim Cleaning/Treatment

arptsprt

Reaction score
What are you all using to clean and treat the black plastic trim components like fender flares, mud guards, mirrors, grill?

Bought my 2020 Rebel brand new on Oct 23 and the black is already looking dingy.

I live in snow country so the truck gets road salts and that mag chloride sh-t on it. I washed the truck last night and the plastic looks great after first washed and dried with a wet chamois but then it dries out and has a grayish hue to it with some streaking especially on the back fender flares.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79 300

Reaction score
Aerospace 303. No dressing lasts forever but this stuff is pretty good. It was originally developed for marine use.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Aerospace 303. No dressing lasts forever but this stuff is pretty good. It was originally developed for marine use.
This is also what I use for the plastic and my bed cover. I will eventually bed line all my plastic components with this https://www.amazon.com/HERCULINER-A...words=herculiner+spray&qid=1607093024&sr=8-11

It's what I use instead of plasti dip when I know I want a permanent solution. Slightly textured, but doesn't have the sand paper feel of other bed liner products like Rustoleum.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Scrub the plastic trim with a warm soap and water mix to remove build up. Once you have let it completely dry and the streaking has been removed. Apply a ceramic or graphene coat of your choice.

My truck is an early 2019 model and all the plastic and fender liners are coated (Paint and glass too). Plastic still looks brand new, cleans easily and has better protection from chemicals and UV rays. This is a multi year coating not something you have to do every wash or quarterly.

Moestavern33

Reaction score
Scrub the plastic trim with a warm soap and water mix to remove build up. Once you have let it completely dry and the streaking has been removed. Apply a ceramic or graphene coat of your choice.

My truck is an early 2019 model and all the plastic and fender liners are coated (Paint and glass too). Plastic still looks brand new, cleans easily and has better protection from chemicals and UV rays. This is a multi year coating not something you have to do every wash or quarterly.
If you don’t mind me asking, approximately what did the ceramic coating cost?

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
CeraTrim! It's a ceramic infused gel that shines and protects. It's made by the company called "The Last Coat". Awesome stuff! Not cheap, but works great.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I never thought I would say this, but this product has been amazing (very well reviewed) is Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax. Works great on the paint and also plastic trim. I don't even use my 303 Aerospace anymore for trim, and I loved that product for a decade.

On trim that is weathered or something that will be in intense heat all the time, I will still use 303. But for occasional easy detailing and dressing, the Hybrid Ceramic spray is great and I don't have to worry about wiping it off excess that gets on paint since it's made primarily to work on paint.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
I never thought I would say this, but this product has been amazing (very well reviewed) is Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax. Works great on the paint and also plastic trim. I don't even use my 303 Aerospace anymore for trim, and I loved that product for a decade.

On trim that is weathered or something that will be in intense heat all the time, I will still use 303. But for occasional easy detailing and dressing, the Hybrid Ceramic spray is great and I don't have to worry about wiping it off excess that gets on paint since it's made primarily to work on paint.

This stuff?

Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating - 16 Fl Oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYPS3PS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_PJWYFbTBZHY31

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This stuff?

Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating - 16 Fl Oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYPS3PS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_PJWYFbTBZHY31

That's it. Very well reviewed, strong critic response from actually good detail folks. I usually snub my nose at the thought of Turtle Wax, but the reviews convinced me, very impressed with the protection on paint and trim.

On paint, it's slightly harder to remove than traditional quick spray waxes because it likely has some level of ceramic in it. To make it easy to remove, just apply with a separate microfiber applicator, then wipe off with a dry one This method makes for easy streak free wiping off. However, if you try to spray the whole side and then wipe down with the same towel, it will produce some streaking that will take a few more wipes to get off. I can easily do my whole truck (paint and trim) with just one microfiber towel and one applicator.

On plastic, I apply it with a microfiber towel or applicator and then leave it wet. Use it on all rubber, plastic & even glass. I love the fact I don't have to be careful when applying to trim because it's made to be on paint.

Users who are viewing this thread