5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel air filter

limechallenger

Reaction score
Hi all! New to this forum ,but not forums in general. I did a search about air filters but only brought up oil filter information. Anyway , I have a 2020 Rebel with the e Tourque Hemi. Looking to replace my air filter , I know K&N has alot of enemies on the multiple Ram forums out there. So I just thought I'd see what you guys recommend? I use my Rebel for daily driving and a little off road use.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The factory one is pricey at around $40, I'm sure there are other brands that are a bit cheaper, just make sure it's a quality brand if you go aftermarket.

K&N for the factory box are hit or miss, depending on how well the gasket fits in the factory airbox. If you get a drop-in K&N, make sure it isn't loose in the airbox, that it took some effort to close and that it seals properly.

Where people get into trouble with K&N filters is when the seal isn't designed right and it fits loose in the factory box allowing unfiltered air to get past the filter and eventually hurt your engine over time. Especially scouring the cylinder.

If you do off-roading, I would stay stick with paper elements, nothing filters better than factory style paper elements in dusty conditions. For street (low dust), K&N is fine assuming it seals correctly.

CaliRebel

Reaction score
Agreeing with @SD Rebel, I would stick with the factory air filter if you'll be driving offroad.
Or if you absolutely want an aftermarket filter, stick with the OEM airbox and get a drop in filter.

Dewey

Reaction score
I ran the same K&N filter in the stock air boxes of my last two trucks. Washed and oiled twice a year and drove 220,000 miles between them with zero issues.

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if you're constantly riding tail gunner in a convoy offroad, i'd go with a washable non-oiled filter since you can always wash it after trip instead of buying paper filters all the time.

did that on my 4Runner for 5 years with a lot of offroad miles and had no problem.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Considering AEM dry filter/drop in. Any opinions?
Had it before I got a Vararam. I would not suggest the Vararam or Mopar if you're off-roading with a lot of dirt/dust. I have to clean mine all the time.

The AEM dry filter was great. Low maintenance, easy to clean. Just make sure you dry it really, REALLY well when you clean it. Water in your intake is not fun.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have ran the AEM dry filters in previous vehicles, never had an issue. Quality is good too.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well so far the AEM filter is great! Fit perfectly ,nice quality product! And for $20 over factory OEM ,I will never have to buy another one!

Interesting that the AEM website shows the 28-20247 filter fitting the 2022 1500 and Amazon's "confirmed fit" says it doesn't fit.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone considering a K&N needs to watch the Project Farm testing on air filters. The dirt allowed into the engine is exponentially higher vs. all other paper filters.
Plus the oil gets into the throttle body and gums it up.

Dewey

Reaction score
Plus the oil gets into the throttle body and gums it up.
Obviously over oiling if that happens. As with anything using common sense is the key. No need to soak the filter down. Follow the washing and oiling directions and there won’t be a problem.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Has anyone found part # and/or vendor to buy backup filter for mopar ramair?

I prefer to have secondary availability when cleaning/drying the existing

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Obviously over oiling if that happens. As with anything using common sense is the key. No need to soak the filter down. Follow the washing and oiling directions and there won’t be a problem.
Actually, it happens all the time. That's why manufacturers left oiling and went to dry. Only K&N and one or two others still do. That's because they started out that way and can't leave it.

Users who are viewing this thread