5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rearview mirror camera

haazdaboss

Reaction score
I think it is a new option available on the 2021 models but i was wondering if anyonw knows of a good option that gives quality results to swap our rearview mirror with a digital one and have the camera installed by our 3rd brake light area? I saw one in action in a gmc and i definitely would like to add it to my 2020 model. Having one that can double as a dashcam would be perfect.

JKS2015

Reaction score
It doesn’t work that well at night. I have it on my Ram limited and can’t see anything at night with the camera. If you have the 8 or 12 inch screen you will never use the back up mirror as the larger screens provide a better picture at night.

It works awesome in the daylight and provides a wide angle view of your blind spot.

Last edited:

Venom700

Reaction score
The above poster has a 21 as only those have that mirror as a part of the package. There’s another thread going on about this. I believe it’s titled along the lines of 3rd brake light (it’s not a good title).

2019GRamRebel

Reaction score
I think it is a new option available on the 2021 models but i was wondering if anyonw knows of a good option that gives quality results to swap our rearview mirror with a digital one and have the camera installed by our 3rd brake light area? I saw one in action in a gmc and i definitely would like to add it to my 2020 model. Having one that can double as a dashcam would be perfect.
I am gonna get this done on Friday. Ordered a mirror dash cam from amazon with the 4k front and I believe it's 1080p in the rear. The camera out the back will finally help me see outback at night (currently have 5% tint on 20%). Planning to run the wire out of the third brake light. Gonna stick the camera right under the TBL. The only issue right now is that the wire running under the TBL is gonna lead to possibilities of not a proper seal, so I'm thinking about ways to make that little cavity waterproof, somehow :ROFLMAO:

Kilroy

Reaction score
I have this on my 21, and I have to say I like it a lot along with the heads up display. With that said, my wife hates it and refuses to use it. My observation is that I am nearsighted and have problems seeing close up with my normal glasses on so the LCD/LED display is difficult for me to see "clearly" but my other pair of glasses (progressive) works better as I can see the display clearly. So my take on it, is that it takes time to get used to it, but I like the unobstructed view it provides but things like snow (as I found out recently) and moisture interferes with the picture. And as others say the nighttime view is not great, but it's never great even with a regular mirror.

Kilroy

Reaction score
Here are a couple of photos last night sitting in the drive-through at a local fast food joint, one showing the mirror view and the second showing the LCD/LED display view. the Camera view is far better in low light and field of view. It also gives you the perspective of how even the camera on the phone wants to focus on a screen image vs the reflection on the mirror. The focal points for the eye (and camera) are quite different than peering through a mirror vs looking at a screen.

IMG_4954.jpg IMG_4953.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread