5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak (Not the center high mounted light)

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
No, that looks similar to the leak from the cracked frame. The leak from light got the headliner wet from almost from side to side. The water runs down a channel to the edges so it looks like it's coming from the corners but isn't. 1st picture below is what the light leak looked like, on both sides. The second one is the crack.That water ran down the inside of my rear window. I didn't see it the first time I looked, not until someone else posted a photo and I new where to look. It's almost in the corner right where the roof weather stripping meets the rear glass. It was hard to get a good picture but if you look close you can see the hairline crack in window frame in the circle. that was enough to soak a couple micro fiber towels when we got some rain. Was getting my seat and carpet wet before I put the towels there.
Interesting. I’ve looked and can’t find any cracks on that main window seal by my weatherstrip. Can you send me a zoomed out photo #2

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Not sure if it will help anyone or not, but also check the entire inside frame for cracks. Mine has been cracked for over a year and it never really leaked until recently, but this is a common problem (i think there was an issue with the mold used for this frame) and if it cracks along the frame they cannot re-seal or otherwise band-aid fix it. Might be a work around to ensure they replace the whole window instead of giving you the run around.

I finally got mine in and they had to escalate to Chrysler, but the replacement was approved in a couple days. Now im just waiting for the repalcement window which they claim is due in "a few weeks".

Attachments

• Window frame crack.jpg
    Window frame crack.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 17

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Not sure if it will help anyone or not, but also check the entire inside frame for cracks. Mine has been cracked for over a year and it never really leaked until recently, but this is a common problem (i think there was an issue with the mold used for this frame) and if it cracks along the frame they cannot re-seal or otherwise band-aid fix it. Might be a work around to ensure they replace the whole window instead of giving you the run around.

I finally got mine in and they had to escalate to Chrysler, but the replacement was approved in a couple days. Now im just waiting for the repalcement window which they claim is due in "a few weeks".
Thanks. I do not have a crack on the inside molding.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
worth a shot... Good luck getting it fixed. Hopefully they get it figured out for you.

TheMopars

Reaction score
Interesting. I’ve looked and can’t find any cracks on that main window seal by my weatherstrip. Can you send me a zoomed out photo #2
I don't have a zoomed out photo but here's where the cracks were on my truck. It was hard to see at first and even
harder to photograph. Both the dealership and I missed it the first time. Once I saw someone else posting a similar
photo and the same leak I was having, dripping down the inside of the window, I went back and looked closer and
saw the crack. I had one on the other side too but it hadn't opened up as much. It helped having a good flash light
and not looking while in direct sun light.

Ram.jpg

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I don't have a zoomed out photo but here's where the cracks were on my truck. It was hard to see at first and even
harder to photograph. Both the dealership and I missed it the first time. Once I saw someone else posting a similar
photo and the same leak I was having, dripping down the inside of the window, I went back and looked closer and
saw the crack. I had one on the other side too but it hadn't opened up as much. It helped having a good flash light

View attachment 89108
Thanks. It’s super hard to look. I can barely see behind where the weatherstrip overlaps so I tried shifting it aside to side to allow more visibility. Even then I can only see a tiny bit further down. No cracks that I can see. But again. I can’t see much even with a light.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Chrysler/dealer replaced my rear window after I showed them the crack the second time. They also replaced the third brake light first which stopped the water entering there and running to the corners. The window crack was in the corner and that water ran down the window and got my rear seat and carpet wet. All good now after they replaced both. My dealer was slow to react and I reached out to Rams Cares and they helped push it through and kept in touch with me during the process.
Im re-reading your response here. So the top mounted third brake light was replaced because it got your headliner wet from corner to corner. And the small cracks on your window surround seal you circled was causing water to leak down the window at the corners as well and onto the seat/floor?

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score

View attachment 89108
Well I couldn’t resist going out and looking AGAIN. And I found the opposite side that isn’t leaking has that same crack on the outside seal under the weatherstrip like yours. I also noticed there is a “void” in each corner of the surround seal. I don’t know what that’s all about. Almost like a drainage escape. But doesn’t seem right.

Attachments

• 5298BC2D-8E4A-46A3-BFB1-3AC8D6C534BC.jpeg
    5298BC2D-8E4A-46A3-BFB1-3AC8D6C534BC.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 11

TheMopars

Reaction score
So the top mounted third brake light was replaced because it got your headliner wet from corner to corner. And the small cracks on your window surround seal you circled was causing water to leak down the window at the corners as well and onto the seat/floor?
Correct. 2 separate leaks from 2 different issues. Replaced the brake light assembly first, then the rear window. All good for now.

Users who are viewing this thread