5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak (Not the center high mounted light)

Mac

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie with 25K and have noticed water leaking into the cab near the top corner of the back window on the passenger side. A search of the forums lead me to look at the center high mounted light. I eliminated that as the cause when I was able to take a squirt bottle and spray water right at the corner. Sure enough, water was leaking inside. I took it to the dealer and they determined the window needed to be re-sealed. They also found the window was leaking on both sides, not just the passenger side as I had found. They sent it to a glass shop where the window was re-sealed. The following weekend I washed the truck and found it was still leaking, this time worse than before. The truck is now back at the dealership. I did contact FCA and got a case manager assigned to me. My reason for contacting FCA is because when I first called the service rep. to notify him the window was still leaking, he said they would have to get the window re-sealed again. It was clear to me simply re-sealing the window was not going to solve the issue, so I called FCA. I contacted the service rep. today and he said the problem appears to be with the window. They are sending pictures to FCA to see what the next steps to take are. Has anyone else experienced a rear window leak of this type and if so, what was the fix? Thanks!

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
No experience with that type of leak, but you should also have them replace the interior panels under that window due to mold and/or water stains

knightro84

Reaction score
I had a similar leak - if you look down in between the body and the glass up in the corner with a bright flashlight, you might be able to see that the frame of the window is cracked. The picture below is my truck on the passenger side below where the black drip rail comes down off the roof. I got some clear flowable silicone (you can see where I had applied some before taking this pic) and covered the crack well. I inspected the rest of the window frame like this and found one other crack closer to the middle of the window, and found no cracks on the drivers side (and have no leaks on that side of the window as evidenced by doing multiple leak tests). My window hasn't leaked since I applied the silicone.

If you find any cracks like this, point them out to your dealer - there is a STAR case (or it might even be a TSB, I can't remember) that says if there are any cracks in the rear window frame, the entire window should be removed and replaced - not just "resealed."

There are a few other very lengthy threads on this forum with a lot of info on rear window leaks - this is the main where where most people post about their issues/solutions: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/rear-window-surround-crack.8961/

IMG_6294.jpg

Mac

Reaction score
No experience with that type of leak, but you should also have them replace the interior panels under that window due to mold and/or water stains
I guess if there is a good thing to living in southern California, we haven't had any rain. I've only noticed this when I wash the car and is has been a very small amount. I haven't seen any signs of water getting beyond the window portion and I have been wiping it clean.

Mac

Reaction score
I had a similar leak - if you look down in between the body and the glass up in the corner with a bright flashlight, you might be able to see that the frame of the window is cracked. The picture below is my truck on the passenger side below where the black drip rail comes down off the roof. I got some clear flowable silicone (you can see where I had applied some before taking this pic) and covered the crack well. I inspected the rest of the window frame like this and found one other crack closer to the middle of the window, and found no cracks on the drivers side (and have no leaks on that side of the window as evidenced by doing multiple leak tests). My window hasn't leaked since I applied the silicone.

If you find any cracks like this, point them out to your dealer - there is a STAR case (or it might even be a TSB, I can't remember) that says if there are any cracks in the rear window frame, the entire window should be removed and replaced - not just "resealed."

There are a few other very lengthy threads on this forum with a lot of info on rear window leaks - this is the main where where most people post about their issues/solutions: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/rear-window-surround-crack.8961/

View attachment 77556
Thanks Knightro84. I did find that thread, I guess I should have read it a little further. I got a text message from the service rep. stating the issue was with the window. This leads me to beleive it is the same as others in the thread you posted. He also said they are following step by step procedures with a STAR case that was opened. They submitted pictures and are waiting for the next steps to take. I assume that means they will replace the window but I have not heard anything further. Now that it is Christmas Eve, I won't hear anything until next week. Hopefully they end up replacing the entire window. Thanks again!

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
You'll be waiting for quite some time sadly. My rear window needs replacing because the sensor on the back sheered off and the defroster no longer works. The window is on back order with not ETA. Been waiting 2 months now.

Mac

Reaction score
You'll be waiting for quite some time sadly. My rear window needs replacing because the sensor on the back sheered off and the defroster no longer works. The window is on back order with not ETA. Been waiting 2 months now.
well that is not good news. Do you still have your truck while you are waiting? If RAM cannot provide a part for two months, surely there is some recourse you can take to get the problem solved?

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Yes I still have the truck :) The dealership here is pretty good, said it would be 3 to 4 days for them to install it, let it set, and then leak test it so they're going to give me a loaner.

Not sure how much longer I'll have to wait though :(

TheMopars

Reaction score
We got our first good rain here (SoCal) in more than 9 months so I decided to go take a peek in the
back of the cab..... aaaaaand it leaks. Looks like from the somewhere around the corner as the headliner
is wet there now.

Mac

Reaction score
Yes I still have the truck :) The dealership here is pretty good, said it would be 3 to 4 days for them to install it, let it set, and then leak test it so they're going to give me a loaner.

Not sure how much longer I'll have to wait though :(
Glad you still have the truck. Hopefully they get the window sooner than later. I heard from my service rep. today and he said a rear window replacement has been authorized. He originally said the ETA for the window was Jan 7 and then later told me they might have it tomorrow! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mac

Reaction score
We got our first good rain here (SoCal) in more than 9 months so I decided to go take a peek in the
back of the cab..... aaaaaand it leaks. Looks like from the somewhere around the corner as the headliner
is wet there now.
Yep, I'm just a little further north of you in Ventura. It's unfortunate yours leaks too, but at least you found it now so you can get it fixed. Since the headliner is wet, do you think it could be a leak at the center high mount light? I found my leak by seeing water streaks on the inside of the glass. I have never found my headliner to be wet. Good luck with it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This is pretty ridiculous.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Glad you still have the truck. Hopefully they get the window sooner than later. I heard from my service rep. today and he said a rear window replacement has been authorized. He originally said the ETA for the window was Jan 7 and then later told me they might have it tomorrow! Keeping my fingers crossed.

What the $#@! ... I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow ... later today and see what's up.

TheMopars

Reaction score
Yep, I'm just a little further north of you in Ventura. It's unfortunate yours leaks too, but at least you found it now so you can get it fixed. Since the headliner is wet, do you think it could be a leak at the center high mount light? I found my leak by seeing water streaks on the inside of the glass. I have never found my headliner to be wet. Good luck with it.
Hard to tell exactly where it's leaking but appears to start at the corners. I just had ankle surgery and I'm in soft cast with crutches so I'm not moving around to well. I was able to snap a couple of photos. Looks like it previously leaked on the drivers side too, probably from a washing, but I hadn't noticed.

Attachments

• IMG_3738 2 copy.jpg
    IMG_3738 2 copy.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3740 2 copy.jpg
    IMG_3740 2 copy.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3739.jpeg
    IMG_3739.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 20

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I guess if there is a good thing to living in southern California, we haven't had any rain. I've only noticed this when I wash the car and is has been a very small amount. I haven't seen any signs of water getting beyond the window portion and I have been wiping it clean.
Just curious. I live in Cali too. Where is your window leaking from?

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Hard to tell exactly where it's leaking but appears to start at the corners. I just had ankle surgery and I'm in soft cast with crutches so I'm not moving around to well. I was able to snap a couple of photos. Looks like it previously leaked on the drivers side too, probably from a washing, but I hadn't noticed.
I’m getting leaking from passenger corner. What have you done to stop the leak?

Attachments

• 3BE2E090-F771-4DF1-B6C8-95B35484237A.jpeg
    3BE2E090-F771-4DF1-B6C8-95B35484237A.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 15

TheMopars

Reaction score
I’m getting leaking from passenger corner. What have you done to stop the leak?
Chrysler/dealer replaced my rear window after I showed them the crack the second time. They also replaced the third brake light first which stopped the water entering there and running to the corners. The window crack was in the corner and that water ran down the window and got my rear seat and carpet wet. All good now after they replaced both. My dealer was slow to react and I reached out to Rams Cares and they helped push it through and kept in touch with me during the process.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Chrysler/dealer replaced my rear window after I showed them the crack the second time. They also replaced the third brake light first which stopped the water entering there and running to the corners. The window crack was in the corner and that water ran down the window and got my rear seat and carpet wet. All good now after they replaced both. My dealer was slow to react and I reached out to Rams Cares and they helped push it through and kept in touch with me during the process.
Glad to hear you got this resolved.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you.

As far as I can tell I have no cracks anywhere...

However, I have a corner leak as shown in my photo. I just received the third brake light this week with the newest part number FCA made.

I’m curious, the leak you had which resulted from a faulty brake light look like my photo?

Attachments

• 4EEAA983-70DD-4156-B1DA-932AC70C2F6E.jpeg
    4EEAA983-70DD-4156-B1DA-932AC70C2F6E.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 7

TheMopars

Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you.

As far as I can tell I have no cracks anywhere...

However, I have a corner leak as shown in my photo. I just received the third brake light this week with the newest part number FCA made.

I’m curious, the leak you had which resulted from a faulty brake light look like my photo?
No, that looks similar to the leak from the cracked frame. The leak from light got the headliner wet from almost from side to side. The water runs down a channel to the edges so it looks like it's coming from the corners but isn't. 1st picture below is what the light leak looked like, on both sides. The second one is the crack.That water ran down the inside of my rear window. I didn't see it the first time I looked, not until someone else posted a photo and I new where to look. It's almost in the corner right where the roof weather stripping meets the rear glass. It was hard to get a good picture but if you look close you can see the hairline crack in window frame in the circle. that was enough to soak a couple micro fiber towels when we got some rain. Was getting my seat and carpet wet before I put the towels there.

Attachments

• Headliner R.jpg
    Headliner R.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Driverside close up.png
    Driverside close up.png
    922.7 KB · Views: 18

Users who are viewing this thread