5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak - how to clean water stain off headliner?

RAL

Reaction score
I discovered water stains on the headliner above the rear window, in both corners. I have a 2020 Ram.

Called the dealer and they were familiar with the issue, and it is covered under the extended warranty. However, I would like to know if anyone has a good way to clean the water stains from the headliner. They aren’t terrible but I am particular. I have some Griots Garage interior cleaner and Mopar total clean. Wondering if anyone has had good luck with anything else. Thanks in advance.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im not sure about what cleaner to use but when your cleaning something delicate like a headliner you wanna avoid scrubbing/rubbing but instead almost wanna splotch the stain of that makes any sense similar to how you would clean alcantara.

M3forged

Reaction score
Can you pin it on the dealer to replace it? I'm pretty sure I've read that some with the leak have since it caused the stains.

RAL

Reaction score
Thank you.
As far as replacing the headliner, I want to simplify things as much as possible to reduce the chances of further damage. My guess is that they can replace the rear window without completely removing the headliner. I could be wrong about that and if I am it would change my analysis.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I discovered water stains on the headliner above the rear window, in both corners. I have a 2020 Ram.

Called the dealer and they were familiar with the issue, and it is covered under the extended warranty. However, I would like to know if anyone has a good way to clean the water stains from the headliner. They aren’t terrible but I am particular. I have some Griots Garage interior cleaner and Mopar total clean. Wondering if anyone has had good luck with anything else. Thanks in advance.
I believe it has been previously posted about hydrogen peroxide for cleaning the water stains. I have not done it and have no experience with it.

Some info on it for a quick perusal.

RAL

Reaction score
Follow up: I did not use peroxide because I was caused about color change - peroxide has gotten on bathroom face cloths and caused them to alter color.

However, I did use the Mopar Total Clean product and with a damp rag and the stains seem to be gone. Hopefully this is of use to someone else. Thanks.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have used Oxiclean for many stains with great success. Just mix a strong solution and blot at it.

Reactions: RAL

cerbo

Reaction score
I have made a bucket of soapy water like you car wash, take a damp sponge , wring it out and then just get some of the suds from the soapy water off the top, wipe the area completely till the stains look gone , let dry and inspect.

Users who are viewing this thread