5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Track Bar Adjustment - Suspension Lean

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I measured today and both of my front fender hights are exactly the same. The rear driver's side is just over 2 inches higher, but the rear passenger side is just under 2 3/4 inches higher. I'll need to take a look underneath, but I don't see why that would be the case. If anyone figures it out let us know. I can't unsee it now haha.

Just a thought but have you measured the frame to ground at the rear? Possible the bed is wonky and the truck is actually sitting level?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a thought but have you measured the frame to ground at the rear? Possible the bed is wonky and the truck is actually sitting level?
I have not measured frame to ground, but I measured bump stop to axle and there was about a 1/2" difference.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I measured from the top of the wheel to the fender. It seemed like the most accurate way to go about it.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed a 1/4" spacer at the top of the coil yesterday, and today I went ahead and installed my airbags and compressor. While I was at it I took a bunch of measurements today. Axle to ground is equal on both sides (I assumed this would be the case). Axle to bump stops was still about 1/2" different. I didn't think the 1/4" spacer would do much, and it didn't. Fender measurement increased about 1/4" on driver side, no change on passenger so it's 40 and 40.5 respectively. Ground to frame behind the sway bar links was 1/2" different, coinciding will all my other non-fender measurements. I'm going to off road it a bit today to settle the suspension after I finish the pressure test on the airbags, and I'll update tomorrow when I take measurements after it's sat.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hope I'm not bugging you all with this, but I'm enjoying the feedback and ideas. Went out and measured today, no difference. 1/2" different at the fenders after installing the 1/4" spacer and airbags. Pretty much expected.

Now, with a yard of dirt in the bed (1600-2000 pounds), and the airbags pumped up to level it, the fenders are equal both front and back. This leads me to assume that there isn't an issue with the frame twisting. Could this point to the shocks being off, since the airbags are supporting most of the weight? I know shocks are not the support system for the truck, but they do provide some support if the load is light enough (empty bed). At this point I'm just guessing, and I know a lot of other people are too. It'd be nice to finally get an answer for the suspension lean topic.

Krootz

Reaction score
Might be the driver side shock binding, not letting the suspension rebound all the way up to match the passenger side. Quick way to tell is to remove the rear shocks and see if it sits level without them. At least you’ll know if it’s the culprit or not.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might be the driver side shock binding, not letting the suspension rebound all the way up to match the passenger side. Quick way to tell is to remove the rear shocks and see if it sits level without them. At least you’ll know if it’s the culprit or not.
This is my next test. Going on vacation for a week so it'll have to be next weekend after we get back or the following week/weekend.

Krootz

Reaction score
Interested in the fix for this. I chased these issues in my Tacoma and I’m scared to take measurements of my new RAM because I may not like the numbers

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Suspension issues aside, this thing rides like a dream. Being new to Ram I've never had a truck that didn't have leaf springs in the back. We had the bed loaded down, but I aired up my bags just a big to keep it from being bouncy, and drove 600 miles yesterday. The seats are not quite as comfortable as a few cars I've been in, but the ride definitely was smoother. My wife even commented that it rides much better than our Pathfinder, and she definitely doesn't miss the lack of leg room in the Titan.

RebelRich

Reaction score
So before I dive more into my rear suspension than I already have (or take it to a dealer), I wanted to ask. My issue is that my rear passenger side is 3/4" higher than driver when measure at the wheel well and 1/2" higher when measured at bump stops. A full tank of gas affects it at most 1/4" (tested with 15 miles left and at full). I would be fine with 1/4" of difference, but the 3/4" is very noticeable.

So far I've taken the springs out, compared and, measured them. They were both the same part number and same height of 20.5". Just for kicks I swapped them to make sure it wasn't an issue with spring rate. Nothing changed when I reinstalled everything and jumped on the tailgate a few times to settle the suspension.

My next question before I start messing with it. Is the track bar adjustable in any way? I've tried to find info on it, but all I can find is stuff on aftermarket adjustable ones. Could this be causing the suspension to torque over? I am new to Ram and especially new to not having leaf springs on a truck, so this rear suspension has me stumped.
View attachment 57748
Hello

so I just posted about the same issue. My truck is
Hello

so I literally just made a post with the same issue. I own a 2019 rebel (non air ride) my truck is off 1/2” driver side from top of tire to fender is 7.75” and the passenger is 8.25” when I Measure From the ground to the top of the shock mount both sides are 31” the axle from the ground up measure the same.
when I measure from the bottom lip of the coil bucket to the bottom of the bed one side is 3” and the other is 3.25” I’m wondering if the coil bucket and not mounted in the Exact location on both sides........ I have had this truck for a year and only noticed this two months ago. I assumed it was a suspension this. I just up a new 3” lift from FabTech think it would eliminate the problem. Only to find out that’s not the case . I’m wounded if it’s a factory defect and more of a frame problem rather then suspension issue. I’m not mechanic so I’m only guessing. I have yet to bring it to the dealership yet but plan on it that thus week C039095F-2FD9-48CE-BA04-F7A4388241F4.jpeg

Attachments

• 49D2C9F0-5270-4D2A-A4D3-BAFD51980579.jpeg
    49D2C9F0-5270-4D2A-A4D3-BAFD51980579.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 22
  • B1430342-C1C6-49EF-9F5F-734AF32CFD70.jpeg
    B1430342-C1C6-49EF-9F5F-734AF32CFD70.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 14CDC904-18ED-4EC6-A1C5-B21B2B619DAF.jpeg
    14CDC904-18ED-4EC6-A1C5-B21B2B619DAF.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 22

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so long time since my last update. Been very busy with a lot of stuff so all my free time is taken up.

I unbolted my rear shocks, took the valve out of my air bags (so they were neutral pressure), and bounced the rear suspension to try to settle it. Everything stayed the same as before so it's not the shocks. I wanted to swap the shocks, but after that I didn't bother.

Just bought the 1/2" spacers, and I'll just install 1 on the driver side. If it gets me within 1/4" I'll be happy.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
My truck is at the dealer for service now for a couple things, one being the rear suspension hights. 3/4" higher on the passenger side or maybe its too low on the driver's side lol. If they can figure it out I'll post an update, hopefully by Monday.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
So I got my truck back today, but their head suspension tech is out all week and they couldn't figure it out. I'll be going back in next week when they get a different part I need and we'll see what come of this.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I got my truck back today, but their head suspension tech is out all week and they couldn't figure it out. I'll be going back in next week when they get a different part I need and we'll see what come of this.
Figures. I take that to mean "We couldn't figure it out, so we'll make an excuse and work on the issue while you wait". I am also very cynical about dealers though. So far out of 3 FCA dealers in my area I haven't had a good experience.

The spacers get in on Thursday so I'll try to install Friday or Saturday. It's gotten to where I can have a wheel off and the axle dropped in about 15 minutes, so it shouldn't take me too long to install.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed the spacer just on the driver side. With about half a tank of gas the sides are pretty much dead even right now. I'll try to take it out to flex the suspension some today to settle it.

Attachments

• 20200807_182149.jpg
    20200807_182149.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 24

t76turbo

Reaction score
Have you gotten a good alignment??? Caster problems can definitely cause the truck to sit like you are saying. I know it isnt the same suspension but I lifted my 2015 Ram 2500 and the first alignment was off. Truck had a pronounced tilt in the rear specifically. That truck uses radius arms and I loosened the adjustments and did some adjusting on my own with the guidance of my friend who is a master tech and has been for 25+ years. Truck was basically level afterwards.

I dont know how that applies to the suspension on these trucks but I am sure there is some caster adjustment.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got it aligned when I installed the front spacers. All the numbers were within spec afterward.

So far so good on the spacer. Fronts are at 39.5" still and the rears are about 40.75". I don't know if I mentioned it previously, but my Timber Grove bags lifted the rear by about 1/2" even at 4-5 psi. I'll see if I get used to the rake, but I may put in a 2.5" spacer in the front instead of a 2" and get the Mopar UCA's. That'd give me less than an inch of rake, which is fine with me.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After a week of driving on it my measurements are where they were from the last post. Driver side is +/- 1/8" or so depending on gas level. I will most likely take the 2" spacers out of the front and put in a 2.5" or 3" with Mopar or RC UCA's to account for more droop.

If anyone wants the other rear 1/2" spacer let me know. I paid about $70 for both so I'll do $35 shipped for the one. It settled the 1/2" difference between bump stops easily.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
So it's late, but i did end up taking my truck back into the dealer and can anyone guess what happened?.......The dealer said it was almost 1/4 inch higher on the passenger side which is normal. Big surprise lol although I don't think the naked eye could even catch a 1/4 inch difference and I can see a difference. Anyway I found the most level ground I could find and I still measured a little over 1/2 inch difference. I guess, like almost everything else, I'm on my own. I might end up upgrading my suspension and if that fixes it I'll report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/